• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Olympic kayaker Nathan Baggaley 'extremely embarrassed' over involvement in drug manu

poledriver

Bluelighter
Olympic kayaker Nathan Baggaley 'extremely embarrassed' over involvement in drug manufacturing syndicate

Olympic kayaker Nathan Baggaley has told a Sydney court he is remorseful and "extremely embarrassed" about his involvement in a drug manufacturing syndicate.

Baggaley, 39, was arrested by Australian Federal Police in November 2013 for helping to produce 18,000 tablets of the psychedelic drug 2cb and planning to produce methamphetamine.

Police said two clandestine drug laboratories were set up, at Tweed Heads and on the Gold Coast.

At his sentencing hearing, the New South Wales District Court heard that the Olympic silver medallist had been targeted by other inmates in jail.

In one incident, Baggaley had been hospitalised and given stiches after he was punched and rendered unconscious, his barrister Greg James QC said.

"I've had my dramas in jail," Baggaley said during sentencing submissions.

"I'm obviously a profile person due to my sporting background and, yeah, it does attract a lot of attention," he said.

"It is possible it could happen again."

Crimes were an act of desperation, court hears

Baggaley described his role in the drug operation as "a gofer" and said his crimes were "an act of desperation" and "a last resort".

"I'm extremely embarrassed to be honest," he said.

Nathan Baggaley's younger brother Dru, 33, is also facing jail time for his involvement in the syndicate.

Nathan Baggaley
6261492-3x2-340x227.jpg

PHOTO: Nathan Baggaley said he had been targeted in jail because he was a high-profile sportsman.
He too apologised in court for his actions and said he felt "ashamed" and "regretful".

Mr James told the court that at the time the syndicate started making thousands of tablets of 2cb, the drug had been legal.

It was outlawed a short time later.

"In regards to 2cb, I had... [the] stupid belief that if a drug was legal, it must be safe," Dru Baggaley said.

"That is not in fact that case."

The brothers became involved in making drugs in order to raise money for Dru, for reasons which were not revealed in court.

Pair to work on family's oyster farm on release, parents say

Their parents, Noel and Susan Baggaley, also took the stand briefly and described how they would support their sons and their rehabilitation upon release from prison.

Upon release, the boys would live with their parents and work for the family's oyster farm, the court heard.

"I'm a very proactive woman and these boys just don't know what they're in for," Ms Baggaley said.

The brothers, both dressed in suits, sat side-by-side in the dock during the proceedings.

They have been remanded in custody and are due to face court on December 14 for sentencing.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-11-20/nathan-baggaley-sentencing-hearing/6960530

Yeah -

gopher
n. A low-ranking employee who is made to do the bidding of their superiors. So-called because they are often running around doing various small tasks.
I have no job security. I'm just a gopher!

The devastating downward spiral of a revered Olympian: How Nathan Baggaley went off the rails in the dingy world of drug dealing… and never recovered

In his prime he was a kayak world champion and two-time Olympic silver medallist.
But Nathan Baggaley went off the rails and descended into the murky world of drug dealing - leaving him now facing his second stint in jail.

The disgraced athlete has opened up about his decline, saying his 'life changed' the day he and his brother Dru were jailed for their part in an ecstasy ring around the Gold Coast and Byron Bay in 2009.
He has admitted that he made 'poor choices' in his life which saw his sporting legacy and his freedom, stripped away.
'Overnight it was pulled from me. I had my livelihood pulled. I had everything pulled,' he told the Daily Telegraph.

He was released in 2011, but it was less than two years before the fallen star was put behind bars for a second time for producing party drugs.
The 40-year-old even missed the birth of his son, Jacob, in 2013 when he was arrested following a large-scale drugs bust just one week before his former partner, Emeere Roberts, went into labour.
She was there on the steps of Grafton Jail when Baggaley was released in 2011, but their relationship is now over because of his repeat offending.

'I was arrested a week before the birth of my son, so that takes a toll. She was all alone,' Baggaley said.
'I've got some pretty strong motivation not to go down this path. I've got a family that will wipe their hands of me if I do it again. And I've got a son I can't be away from.'

Baggaley exploded onto the sports scene in 1997 and dethroned 1992 Olympic gold medallist Clint Robinson as the Australian 1000m champion in 1998.
He competed in the 2000 Olympics and went on to win the K1 500m world championship three years in a row.

His achievements made the former Australian athlete of the year a gold medal hope at the 2004 Athens Olympics, but he finished with two silvers.
Baggaley's life began to unravel after he was banned from the sport for two years in 2005 for steroid use.

He was initially suspended for 15 months in 2006 after the Court of Arbitration and Sport found he accidentally drank from a steroid-laced bottle of juice, which belonged to his younger brother Dru.
But his ban was extended to two years in 2007, disrupting his preparation for the 2008 Beijing Olympics.

He was arrested for the first time in February 2007 while driving back to the Gold Coast with more than 700 ecstasy tablets, $1,000 cash and marijuana.
In 2009, at the age of 32, he was sentenced to a maximum of nine years after pleading guilty to manufacturing ecstasy and supplying more than 1,500 tablets.

But the kayak star was released in 2011 and stepped out through the jail gates into the arms of his partner and parents.
In July 2012, Baggaley was given a 12-month suspended jail sentence for possessing 84 ecstasy pills and parts of a pill press.

He was one of three men arrested in 2013 over an alleged syndicate producing and manufacturing amphetamine drugs.
The former Kayak world champion was taken back into custody for allegedly assaulting a police officer at Byron Bay Blues Festival in 2015.

And he fell further still in December 2015 when he was jailed for a second time for a minimum two years and three months for his latest drug offences.
He claimed he has been hit and knocked out while in prison.

The athlete could be out by November, but says it would be difficult for him to start from scratch and get a new career as he has been in sport his whole life.
'Unfortunately, I consider myself a high achiever so it's hard to start from the bottom,' he said.

Cont -

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...aley-went-rails-dingy-world-drug-dealing.html

His brother must be a dick if he's the one who dragged him into the mess. However I doubt this is the case.

Greed knows no boundaries :(

I heard that stuff, 2c-b, aka 2cBomb extreme is really just some kind of synthetic artificial crack-acid combined in form
Of ecstasy pills, deadly stuff.. . All drugs are Russian roulette ( 1/6 chance of brain explosion, surely) am I right? ;)