• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Olfactory sensory overload during taper, WD or PAWS

LucidSDreamr

Bluelighter
Does anyone else notice that smells are really intense and bothersome almost when you’re withdrawing or lowing your opioid doseage?

Or am I just crazy? I’ve noticed this many times in past withdrawals or tapers

I've never noticed this before with odors, but I definitely become hypersensitive to lights and sound. I'd think it's a similar mechanism.

I definitely noticed the intensity of odors increase greatly when I recently discontinued bupe and started on hydromorphone at a less than equivalent dose. It lasted until I was increased to pain dose that more than covered my bupe withdrawal which was relatively mild but included a rush of testosterone and an increase in sensory sensitivity. My sense of smell was boosted but I don’t think I detected anything I wouldn’t have otherwise it was more a much stronger sense, if that makes sense...

I thought maybe it was b/c of the 20% reduction in benzo dose over the preceding month. I noticed this b/f during some withdrawal but couldn’t place it until you posted. To directly answer the question - yes, definitely I have, and no I don’t think you’re insane.

Totally, all scents, even perfume gets really irritating and gets like a sickening dark side. I noticed that every time i kicked. Poppy tea was the worst and longest lasting. Seems to happen within the first few days and then subsides. It either subsides or I get buried by the other symptoms to notice for too long.

Years back I kicked in my parents house once and my mother had those plug in room deodorizers. Till this day everytime I see and get a whiff of that scent I go into a minor withdrawal for a minute or two. lol

Experiencing it right now. Dropped my dose of Suboxone and this past week been smelling all sorts of shit when usually it’s nothing.

-GC

I can't believe other opiate users(past users) are saying they haven't noticed this. All senses are amplified. I have my room blacked out and it still feels blinding the moment the sun even teases coming up, wanting to puke from smells, bumping your toe and it feels like somebody brought down a hammer on it, fucking birds sounding like WW2 air raid sirens at 6am.....