View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Old shrooms

Asay0511

Greenlighter
I am a beginner with psychedelics and i bought some shrooms last week and i waited too long now they are mushy and wet what should i do?

Don't eat moldy shrooms (a proper supplier would have dried them first, IMO, but it's been a while, and they're all millenials now so who knows?).

Tough to say. Wait, you're a total n00b? Yeah, I wouldn't go deep water submersible salvage op before a first potential trip. Esp. with shrooms. You might have a trip, to the ER when you barf them up extra hard but are too loopy to tell your roommates to just let you die where you are (to be clear, I'm going on the "don't eat rotten things you bought from the granola wizard on the boardwalk" theory of hygiene, nothing specific to Aspergilllus shroommelt, and I doubt it would hurt you--worse than real shrooms anyway).

And you say mushy . . . and wet. That's just weird. Supermarket Agaricus bisporus, the most commerical-friendly mushrooms, still go quick, but they get slimy.

So really, unless you won some Elon Musk 'n Me go to Mars Forever, Not Taking Spore Prints, I'd find a new source, or be bold to ask for dry (if a supplier is legit, he'd HAVE to have dried stock unless he eats most of it himself), look up some storage ideas (dried will keep forever) and make sure they're not just Enoki left in the light so the tops turn brown. Don't blow a potentially sacred and truly life-altering experience getting high on ergot or who knows what.

[Just thought, one thing with fresh shrooms is that you can make spore prints or just clone. Psilocybe's seem to really like cow patties, which is tough in your kitchen. Look up Paul Stamets books for a good substrate, dice up your soggy shrooms, and plate a bunch, separate and covered, keep the least-moldy least fruit-fly plates and then follow Stamets cultivation conditions. Maybe they're OK. Now I miss psychedelics. Up for days on meth is trippy, not quite the same]

Were these mushrooms not dried when you obtained them?

It sounds like you stored them improperly and they got wet...

Were these mushrooms not dried when you obtained them?

Yeah, I should have just asked that.

Once long ago near the Berkeley campus, I saw what looked just like a full half-ounce of shrooms in the gutter, like they'd been quickly dumped at a traffic stop. They were dirty and soggy, yet very tempting even to a not-newbie. They stuck around in the gutter for a couple days. Maybe OP found similar . . .

If I found mushrooms in a bag outside which had been exposed to the elements, or the mushrooms had gotten wet, I would just ignore it, or if anything I would attempt an extraction from the material.

It all seems pretty sketchy, I would just take it as a loss and move on.

I have dried shrooms wrapped in foil and im keeping them in mason jar. Storing in my bedroom, which has about 20-26 Celsius degrees, how long will they sustain their power? Will they go extinct in few days or months or will they be good for forever?

I think the enemy of dried mushrooms is humidity, not oxidation or temperature. Psilocybin looks pretty stable, so it's the carrier you worry about. In California (scorching dry non-coastal parts) they should easily last way beyond your next camping trip.

If I found mushrooms in a bag outside which had been exposed to the elements, or the mushrooms had gotten wet, I would just ignore it, or if anything I would attempt an extraction from the material.

Mystery drugs are bad in general. I think I can say that without mods objecting.
But you forget, like I did, that mushrooms are still alive when not dried. That has a lot of advantages over a baggie of moist cocaine, in that you can make more of it with just some cheap substrate and plasticware.
I did a bunch of totally non-felonious mushroom growing long ago, makes a good hobby for a place that is NOT bone-dry. If you had the methods down, you could potentially get good shrooms from the gunk. Or get a spore-print to help ID.

It is very important to take drugs clearly and being very well informed.
Mushrooms should never be taken in a mushy or wet state.

Either, you buy shrooms well dried and produced well or,
You know howcto pick.

It is never worthwhile to gamble on its gonna be ok caause xx said it will be or its gonna be ok cause was told it cool.
Underrstanding is key, not knowing someone

Psilocybin/psilocin are quite stable, and when stored properly, mushrooms can remain active for extended periods of time.

Psilocybin/psilocin are water soluble...I would absolutely not consume a bag of mushrooms from the ground, specially if it had gotten wet.

How did these mushrooms from the original post even get wet? Did the grower give them to you fresh out of the terrarium? Or did they get wet from poor storage?

Again, I would just take this one as a loss and move on.

define "mush". Although most "mushes" I've known involved wetness of some kind. And wet and shrooms don't work.

Did someone try to make a shroom chutney or something? Maybe a shroom tapenade on toast points, but someone said they don't like olives, and you've got this tupperware dish full of shroom paste?

I think you have to dry it out to store it. Short term: air-tight container in the fridge. Although I don't see why you couldn't freeze it.