Old probation warrant,drug charge....

lleno

Bluelighter
I have an old warrant I'd like t get off my back..long story short I was busted for seling a bag of weed to a 17 year old girl in 1990, I was given 4 years,I served one year[county level]and had the rest suspended pending completion of 5 years felony probation. I was a full on herioin addict at the time, I started using again as soon as my year was done, and I never showed up for the probation.I had one prior conviction fro possesion for sale of MJ, so I have two felony convictions, neither of which are strikes[this happened in california]. I have no other felony convictions, and a few misdemeanors[I cant even remember what for], and have lived a fairly decent life since about 1999.I work and am raising my daughter, I have been on methadone for about 10 years. This warrant has never come up until a few monthes ago[routine traffic stop], the cop said it was not extraditable[I almost crapped myself when he said I had a warrant out of California, for real!!!] I'd appreciate any advice or REAL LIFE EXPERIENCES you all have concerning extradition and dealing with district attorneys. What are my chances of getting the probation reinstated, or the whole deal squashed?? I still owe them 3+ years, and this time it'll be the state pen[my research indicates probably San Quentin, just what I need!!!]Advice please, thanks......p.s. I live in the northeast U.S. now

This thread definitely piqued my interest. Just curious, why even attempt to quash the warrant when it's not extraditable and you live across the country? Although I can't offer you a personal experience, it just seems smarter to leave everything alone. If it came down to it and you showed them you had "reformed", I doubt they'd make you do the time. The CA prison system is terribly overcrowded as it is. However, one never knows...

If it ever came up some how in your work or personal life, I'd just be real about. It seems like you're a more responsible person now and your positive actions say more about you than an almost twenty (that in itself is crazy... How time flies...) year-old warrant.

It is just something that is always a fear in the back of my mind. I have a fear of going to jail and having to withdrawof the methadone, Iam on 100 mgs. Some folks have died in jail because of methadone withdrawl, its no joke....The warrant is something that is always in the back of my mind,every time I get pulled over,etc.It would fell great to be rid of it...

This thread definitely piqued my interest. Just curious, why even attempt to quash the warrant when it's not extraditable and you live across the country? Although I can't offer you a personal experience, it just seems smarter to leave everything alone.
If it came down to it and you showed them you had "reformed", I doubt they'd make you do the time. The CA prison system is terribly overcrowded as it is. However, one never knows...

Seems to me only a CA lawyer give you any real insight.
I am amazed the warrant is still out .. I know PVs stay on the record a long time, but I've seen them get dismissed after 5-8 years, even for Absconding on a felony like you. After nearly 20 years? Maybe CA has no amnesty.

While my ~1 year of working experience with parole/probation wasn't in CA, I would be very surprised if you did not get revoked and have to serve at least 6 months, maybe 12. Prisons don't get crowded from people getting off easy.
Best case scenario, I'd think, 60 days in jail, then you have to transfer another year or two of Supervision to your home state. But if you were going to get off for nothing on it, the warrant would have been dismissed long ago :\

Final verdict: non-extradictable warrants are god's gift to felons ;)