• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Old klonopin

MynameisQ

Greenlighter
I found some old Kpins. They expired in 2011. I'm assuming it's safe to take them. I was reading old threads on here and people were saying they don't really go bad, they just lose potency. I haven't taken a Kpin in a very long time and expected to get F'ed up. I barley felt it. I took a second one. Still didn't feel it. After waiting 2 hours, I smoked a bowl. I was feeling pretty good after that. I could feel the Kpin a little. Then I went to sleep. Woke up and felt kind of groggy and a little spacey. Now I feel good.

Have these pills lost their potency? I assume so but people were saying if they were kept out of light and humidity, they should still be good.

If they are less potent do they sill affect my body the same if I take more at once? The slight hangover was surprising because I didn't really get high........

Last edited:
Even though the pills expired in 2011 they should still have worked. My guess it that they have somehow have been exposed to moisture or something effectively ruining them. The pharma industry have very strict rules with regards to expiration date, so the date noted is way before it will actually happen. If they are stored properly their potency will very very slowly decrease as time past by. But not so fast. At least I didn't think that before.

I know I have taken rectal Ketogan in 2015 with an expire date in 2008 and they worked fine. But the ceiling they were kept in were unbroken.

That being said, you should always be careful with old medicine. If it is liquid meant for IV an that particular vial have been used the sterility of the liquid in the vial will slowly degrade and I wouldn't wish to use this if it were year old. After all, I wouldn't drink milk that were two year too old either. But that is another story.

Powder stored properly should keep its potency very long.

Even though the pills expired in 2011 they should still have worked. My guess it that they have somehow have been exposed to moisture or something effectively ruining them. The pharma industry have very strict rules with regards to expiration date, so the date noted is way before it will actually happen. If they are stored properly their potency will very very slowly decrease as time past by. But not so fast. At least I didn't think that before.

I know I have taken rectal Ketogan in 2015 with an expire date in 2008 and they worked fine. But the ceiling they were kept in were unbroken.

That being said, you should always be careful with old medicine. If it is liquid meant for IV an that particular vial have been used the sterility of the liquid in the vial will slowly degrade and I wouldn't wish to use this if it were year old. After all, I wouldn't drink milk that were two year too old either. But that is another story.

Powder stored properly should keep its potency very long.

I don't do anything through IV. I just smoke weed and will rarely take a Xanax, Ambien, whatever. The pills were stored in a closet in one of those orange medicine bottles. Cap was on. It was dark and dry in there. It is somewhat humid where I live but nothing like New Orleans.

They were .5mg each. I took two. Spaced it out. I waited for the first one to kick in for an hour. Then I took the second one. Waited about an hour. Then I smoked a bowl. Felt good but it was mainly the weed. Then I went to sleep. Slept in late.

I have a few theories. One is that I should have taken both together, dose was low. Two is that I used to drink a lot. Perhaps a cross-tolerance. Three, they are just weak due to degrading.

Is everyone in agreement that these particular pills should be safe to take?

Ahh in your first post I thought you were writing about 2 mg Klonopin's. My mistake. A person with no benzo tolerance should be able to feel relaxation from 1 mg Clonazepam (Klonopin). But 0,5 mg alone might be tricky to feel. Both together might have been more effective. HOWEVER, you did the right thing and went ahead carefully.

The pills are safe to take alone. Do not mix them with alcohol, opiats and other depressants. And do not take too many as you might black out and do something stupid. With benzo's you yourself often don't feel high while it is VERY obvious to other persons.

I'm assuming you are reading the use by date on the vial? Although some states require the actual manufacturer expiration date, it is a general practice of pharmacies to place a one year expiration date on the label as we cannot say how it will be stored. But even the real expiration date is likely shortened by regulations as numerous times it has been shown expired drugs havent lost much, if any potency.

There are also other factors at play that can reduce effectiveness like if they were exposed to light, dampness etc. All that over time can degrade pharms. Anyway, moving this one to BDD>

What is your tolerance level for benzos? Personally I've never felt high from solo dosing especially from a long acting benzo like clonazepam. It serves to alleviate anxiety/panic not "get F'ed up". That required the addition of other substances for me personally. I doubt they would lose much potency over time as it is a fairly stable medication (it's not like a vitamin or antibiotic). Also 0.5mg is a really low dose and the typical first dose for someone who has never been on it before. It's good that you started low but if you were expecting this med to hit you like an opioid you are way off base. Don't increase the dose especially if you are new to it. And though not impossible I don't think such limited dosing would result in a hangover feeling...perhaps from the combo but I would attribute more of what you felt to the weed.

What is your tolerance level for benzos? Personally I've never felt high from solo dosing especially from a long acting benzo like clonazepam. It serves to alleviate anxiety/panic not "get F'ed up". That required the addition of other substances for me personally. I doubt they would lose much potency over time as it is a fairly stable medication (it's not like a vitamin or antibiotic). Also 0.5mg is a really low dose and the typical first dose for someone who has never been on it before. It's good that you started low but if you were expecting this med to hit you like an opioid you are way off base. Don't increase the dose especially if you are new to it. And though not impossible I don't think such limited dosing would result in a hangover feeling...perhaps from the combo but I would attribute more of what you felt to the weed.

I don't really know much about klonopin. I haven't taken a lot of them. I do get anxiety though which is why I took them. I used to take my ex-girlfriends xanax occasionally. It helped a lot. I thought klonopin was pretty similar.

Tolerance..... I don't really know. There was this one time in college where I was staying on this guy's property in the mountains in CA. My friend was a caretaker there. The guy who owned the place was disabled due to an accident. He had a walk in closet full of every drug you could want. Lot of benzos. For about a month I abused them. Then after that, I stopped using them. I used to occasional take my girlfriends Xanax.

For a few years, I drank way more than I should have. I have a tolerance to alcohol. Takes me about 6 beers to get a good buzz but it fades quickly unless I drink a few more. 8 light beers is the minimum it takes for me to have a good night of drinking. I don't really drink at all anymore. Even with time, it seems that my tolerance is still there.

The only benzo I take on a semi-regular basis is Ambien (Ambien is a benzo correct?). Maybe once or twice a month.

I have been smoking small amounts of weed twice a day for the past week. I don't think it was a weed hangover. I was up late. I definitely felt the effects of the Kpin when I woke up. Perhaps more so than went I went to bed. Is it a slow long acting drug?

So is it worth taking it again in the near future? My plan is to take two .5mg pills at once before bed. The next time I'm feeling stressed.

Ambien is molecular different from benzodiazepines, but it has similar effects. From your story you shouldn't have any tolerance so 1 mg Klonopin should be plenty. But to be honest, so should 0,5 mg when you don't have tolerance. Maybe you don't know what a benzo high feels like? It is not that recreational.

I think you should stay with your weed and drop the Klonopins. Benzo's are not something to take lightly. Klonopin will make you feel "tired" in the morning. You should NOT mix benzo's with alcohol though. So if are drunk you should stay far away from your Klonopin, okay?

Ambien is molecular different from benzodiazepines, but it has similar effects. From your story you shouldn't have any tolerance so 1 mg Klonopin should be plenty. But to be honest, so should 0,5 mg when you don't have tolerance. Maybe you don't know what a benzo high feels like? It is not that recreational.

I think you should stay with your weed and drop the Klonopins. Benzo's are not something to take lightly. Klonopin will make you feel "tired" in the morning. You should NOT mix benzo's with alcohol though. So if are drunk you should stay far away from your Klonopin, okay?

Thanks for clearing that up. I thought ambien was a benzo. On a side note, I once took an ambien and smoked a bowl. I was looking at my keyboard and the keys were floating around. ambien has made me trip more than once.

I've gotten really high before off xanax. I've also gotten high off valium.

I've taken Kpins before but I think I drank a couple of beers with them. I got high. Not that I plan to do this but why is it so bad to drink with benzos?

I'm really passed the days of really abusing drugs. These pills I plan to take only on rare occasions. I might even dispose of them.

Xanax is more of a rec benzo because it hits hard and fast and is short acting though that often means a heavy nod to a blackout for the inexperienced. You don't want to mix a benzo with alcohol because it makes a blackout more likely and not the kind you get from like too much drinking, the kind that knocks you out and can stop your breathing. Clonazepam IMO isn't much for rec use unless combined with something (depending what that something is). It's my miracle drug for stopping panic attacks. It is a long acting benzo much like Valium but to me when combined Valium has an even stronger impact than clonazepam. Ambien has different action all together. Considering the risks and how bad benzo wd is if I were you I wouldn't waste the Klonopin chasing a feeling that you are way overestimating. If you already have anxiety issues you really don't want to wreck your tolerance long term over a med you may need some day too.

Mixing CNS depressents is dangerous as it could stop your breathing. Both benzo's and alcohol is depressants.

Xanax is more of a rec benzo because it hits hard and fast and is short acting though that often means a heavy nod to a blackout for the inexperienced. You don't want to mix a benzo with alcohol because it makes a blackout more likely and not the kind you get from like too much drinking, the kind that knocks you out and can stop your breathing. Clonazepam IMO isn't much for rec use unless combined with something (depending what that something is). It's my miracle drug for stopping panic attacks. It is a long acting benzo much like Valium but to me when combined Valium has an even stronger impact than clonazepam. Ambien has different action all together. Considering the risks and how bad benzo wd is if I were you I wouldn't waste the Klonopin chasing a feeling that you are way overestimating. If you already have anxiety issues you really don't want to wreck your tolerance long term over a med you may need some day too.

Ok thanks for the heads up. I'll dispose of them. I thought they were something different.

A few years ago I found an unopened bottle of expired Ativan (Lorazapam) 1mg sitting behind the shelf in my bathroom (it must have fallen there). I searched on the web and came across a woman on some forum who had the exact same medication that was expired 3 yrs past the date like mine. She basically said she took them and felt nothing. This is what happened to me. I took two 1mg and a glass of wine and felt nothing, and since I didn't have much of a tolerence I knew the pills must have decreased in potency. I threw them out.

Ok thanks for the heads up. I'll dispose of them. I thought they were something different.
Dispose of them....which trash can do you use again haha! Just because clonazepam solo isn't a rec wonder it still is the best drug out there IMO for stopping a panic attack and calming anxiety and allowing sleep to return to normal. That being said also when I combined it with my DOC at the time it was phenomenal. If you don't trust yourself that's one thing but this med is far from trash.

A lot of time, if it's the generic version then they can be basically sugar pills. I'm on generic Klonopin now and I never feel anything

A lot of time, if it's the generic version then they can be basically sugar pills. I'm on generic Klonopin now and I never feel anything

Not sugar pills, no. Tolerance, different levels of anxiety yes. Assuming there are no recalls due to bad manufacturing, clonazepam is clonazepam.

A few years ago I found an unopened bottle of expired Ativan (Lorazapam) 1mg sitting behind the shelf in my bathroom (it must have fallen there). I searched on the web and came across a woman on some forum who had the exact same medication that was expired 3 yrs past the date like mine. She basically said she took them and felt nothing. This is what happened to me. I took two 1mg and a glass of wine and felt nothing, and since I didn't have much of a tolerence I knew the pills must have decreased in potency. I threw them out.

Honestly that is nothing special of a dose when it comes to Ativan. I am surprised you didn't feel much.