• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Okay to take Sub after Tramadol?

warriorpeople

Greenlighter
I apologize in advance if I'm I'm the wrong thread or whatnot, just lead me the right way.

Basically I was just wondering, if someone took only 50mg of Tramadol at 8am and decided they wanted to take their first ever dose of Suboxone (2mg) at 6pm, would that be safe? That is around 8 hours between the two.

It isn't safe to take opiates before Suboxone, but is it okay to take Tramadol before it? And does the low dosage of the tramadol make a difference? Does it mean anything if the person is currently in minor withdrawal already?

Who can help with advice and has experience?

Gracias yo

Normally you'd want to wait at leaast 12-24 hours before dosing the suboxone, to avoid precipitated withdrawal. And yes, the level of wd sympyoms directly affects when to induce suboxone. Normally you want to be in moderate wd to induct. Also, induct 1mg or less, this wil reduce the chances of pwd, and it will definetely hold you, if for some reason after 2 hours, you don't feel better, take another sub mg dose.

- Hopeless 7nos

If you are already in wd from another opioid I assume you have taken the tram to try and get some relief.

50mg of tram is a low dose and after the amount of time you have stated there is only going to be about half of that left.

I think you would be ok as this small amount of tram is hardly likely to be occupying a significant amount of your receptors.

However I cannot say I have been in the exact situation you are in.

If you are only in minor wd then I would suggest waiting to be 100% sure.

What is it you were using before taking the tram and how long has it been since your last dose of whatever that was?

Tramadol does not affect suboxone as other opiats or opioids do. You can take tramadol before, after and during suboxone and it will not influence anything. Back when I was on suboxone I often used tramadol to get high.

I had also use tramadol and suboxone together before and after. Using tramadol before suboxone I had noticed very slight precipitated withdrawal after high doses of tramadol, like 300mg+. I don't think there would be any problem after such a low dose of 50mg, judging from my experience.

Now taking tramadol after suboxone, the buprenorphine would just block the tramadol activity at the mu receptors, but not the other aspects of tramadol. But in my opinion, the mu receptor activity is what makes tramadol worth taking right?

So the two drugs really are combinable, without negative effects essentially, but I don't think it's worth it.