View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Oily dmt, suggestions?

Sathariel

Greenlighter
So, around 300-500mg of dmt was extracted using cybs salt tek, only difference being that instead of freeze precipitating naphtha was simply evaporated. There was a clear to slightly white sticky oil in the bottom of the pan which was used to evap the naptha. It clearly smells like dmt, and none of the solvents or materials used would leave any residue of their own upon evaporation.

I would be doubtful it would even be possible to scrape the pan with something to collect the material without wasting a huge quantity of it just due to its gooeyness and stickiness, there's literally no crystallization whatsoever.

Would anyone have any suggestions on using this material or turning it into material that could be used? There's no way to even get it placed on a scale in this state, and even if it was possible, whatever was gotten off a scale would be different from whatever was put on the scale.

Would a freeze precipitation end up turning it into something even partly crystalline? Only issue is there is not a freezer that could be accessed for 12-18 hrs at a time, so not sure if there's another solution, or even a way to just use/collect it in this state that I have not thought of.

Redissolve, dry acetone comes to mind, and put onto a known quantity of smoking blend. Weigh the lot after
Then take a go. Being mindful of how much dmt youd expect to be there.

Could always recrystallize tho.

What was your starting material?

Depending how involved you want to get, you have a few options.

1. Dissolving in naptha/hexanes/heptane etc. and freeze precipitation (i.e. recrystallization) would be ideal, but it takes at least 24h if not more to do it properly (though 12 hours is enough to get some precipitate).
2. dissolving in naptha, rinsing with concentrated sodium carbonate solution several times, drying with anhydrous magnesium sulfate and evaporating the naptha.
3. Dissolve in naptha, extract 3x with acidified water (e.g. HCl), then combine the aqueous extracts, re-basify, extract with fresh naptha, dry with MgSO4, evaporate. (acid-base extraction)
4. Smear it onto plant material and smoke it. Or use a solvent and spray it onto plant material.
5. Add some sort of inert bulking agent like chalk, Celite, magnesium sulfate, etc. to make a putty. The DMT will volatilize out, the remainder stays in the pipe.

Thank you for the suggestions. In an ideal world, It would have been freeze precipitated to start, but that may not be possible unfortunately.

Being able to dose exactly would be ideal, as I have... Significant respect for psychedelics, to say the least, and have not experienced this particular one yet. Aside from that fact, Sekio's suggestion number 5 does seem like a good idea, but even with a known quantity of filler (chalk is probably what I would use), I ultimately have 0 idea how much final product I have, all I know for sure is I started with 25g of ACRB. More pulls would definitely get more product, what I have currently is about 3 pulls worth, so it's likely closer to the 300-400mg end of my estimate, but again, it's literally just an estimate based around 2% being a 'normal' yield for this tek with this bark.

Doing another a/b extraction on it is another possibility, but i don't see how that would fix the oil problem, since dmt is polymorphous it being oily doesn't necessarily mean it's impure or has contaminants, and ending with evaping naphtha may put me in the exact same place if I don't somehow force it to crystallize.

Assuming it was vaporized with 'the machine', I could also literally wipe the machine 'ball' through it, which is probably the easiest method but also basically exactly what I wanted to avoid for dose knowing reasons.

since dmt is polymorphous it being oily doesn't necessarily mean it's impure or has contaminants
Don't know what you mean by "polymorphous". Pure DMT is a solid at room temperature, if it's oily it is not pure. The melt point is known and is about 35C.

You can always weigh the oil, and then assume it's close to 100% pure. Worst case you end up underdosing somewhat. But you won't overdose.

Obviously, I'm not crazily knowledgeable on this, but there are multiple arrangements of dmt molecules that are all equally stable, so it will ultimately take on one of those forms. As in this nexus thread, 2 distinct forms are discussed. https://www.dmt-nexus.me/forum/default.aspx?g=posts&t=42590

Perhaps you are correct and this dmt is simply impure though, anyone with any experience has vastly more than I do. I suppose I will also try cooling it down some, the ambient temperature here is rather close to the melting point, perhaps then I could scrape/weigh it properly.

Iv literally never even used a milligram scale before, and at such small quantities like that I don't even know how much things like adding oils from my fingers to whatever I weighed or from scraping the ball would end up changing the temperature, if I went that route. In a perfect world, I could just weigh the 'ball', smear it in oil, weigh again, and vaporize if I got the weight roughly correct, but those other weight effecting things are all unfortunately factors.

Thanks for your expertise!

You're probably right tired of crap. A new set of pulls was freeze precipitated, taken from the exact same basified mix that the first, evapped set was taken from. Dmt was still retrieved, however it was just as oily, tho definitely less yellow in color. I don't see how it couldn't be something weird with the dmt, given both methods yielded the exact same results. However, that source from the nexus also states nmt is far less soluble in naphtha, which was the solvent used.

nmt may be less soluble than dmt but this suggests that the ratio of nmt:dmt is slightly in favour of nmt
of course sources vary but if youre using excess amounts of naphtha and just evaporating, perhaps your making up for the solubility difference in this way

Also if its an oil perhaps it just looks like more than if it were dry...
And you mentioned your solvent evaped clean so ... idk but id wager your oil contains fair amounts of both nmt, dmt and likely dmt oxide

Could try a rex or another mini a/b as suggested here to remove nmt

Or if you know your solvents clean and your product should be smokable
You could try to dissolve in acetone, add a known weight of herb.
Once dry measure the final weight and start at your normal dose (taking into consideration the weight of the leaves and the final), as nmt is supposed to be less powerful than dmt iirc

Last edited:
It is definitely active, and there's no contamination. It does seem to require more than dmt alone would tho. Honestly, I don't really think it's worth it to attempt to remove nmt, it's kind of wasting it, it just would be nice if the product could be weighed as opposed to eyeballing

Back when I had access to analytical tools, analysis of DMT from MHRB showed very little NMT if any.

Hmm, that may change things a bit. Still, I would expect the extraction to be selective for DMT over NMT simply because DMT is more nonpolar.

There are literature methods to seperate secondary and tertairy amines, this one is curious because it is simple adsorbtion onto alumina:

Best suggestion I have is get 4-aco-dmt instead - take it orally at about 60mg and it's indistuingishable from oral DMT. Only without the fricken "purge" bollocks.