• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Oil vs edibles. How is the difference in effect explained?

Achten

Bluelighter
Big fan of cannabis here, especially vaping and ingesting oil.

In my younger days I played around with cake and I remember edibles taking a long time to reach plateau and being very stoning for the body.

Now i'm all for the oil. (Alcohol extracted).
I ingest this too,so I assume it goes into the stomach.

My question:

I know THC9 gets converted by the liver to THC11 but why does the oil take effect much quicker than edibles? It's also not stoning for the body, on the contrary,very energizing, social, sometimes even psychedelic. Never so "heavy" as edibles.

Any thoughts?

I can only say why edibles effect one differently than inhaled (smoked) Cannabis. The specifics you're after, I'm unsure of. At the very least, I might say that the oil is more quickly absorbed due to a simple matter of less volume than say, a cookie or a piece of candy. The faster absorption could potentially lead to a perceptibly stronger experience and an increase in psychedelic effects.

Thanks.

But maybe I should have explained further. I have the idea that with oil there is no conversion to THC11, hence less bodyload. Any thoughts?

It could also be that the oil is fully carboxylated on it's own, not bonded onto a fat like it is in edibles.

I take alcohol-extracted oil myself and notice the difference between that and edibles. It's also the difference in oil/extraction gives a slightly different cannabinoid/terpene profile so the effect will be different (for FECO oil (alcohol-extracted) vs CO2 oil edibles vs heat-infused butter/oil edibles).

Do you ever just hold the oil under your tongue? I've had this recommended to me for greater efficacy, but I find the sensation and taste very unpleasant.

Thanks, that could very well be it. Or not. Doesn't really matter but i was just being curious.

I used to take it under the tongue, which was fine but taste could be *extremely* "earthy" so once i tried to swallow. From then on it's my favorite ride. I find the efficacy actually better with swallowing. Oil under the tongue takes like an hour or so to dissolve with batches i have ?

It says in "Beyond Buds...." by Ed Rosenthal and David Downs though I tried it today (with a butter concoction, not tincture per say) and not sure if it worked that fast.....maybe needs to be a alcohol-based tincture like "green dragon" ?

"Ingesting tinctures sublingually---that is droplets placed under the tongue---is almost as fast as smoking or vaporizing,because it goes directly into the bloodstream from the mucous membranes,the same way smoke is absorbed by the blood in the lungs. Five minutes after a tinture is dropped on the tongue, it's effects are felt."

Oil under the tongue takes like an hour or so to dissolve with batches i have ��

Oh yes, under the tongue you definitely get the full earthy flavor. It doesn't dissolve for me either, but keeping it there definitely activates faster for me. I had a big dose of oil the other day and held it under my tongue--by the time I swallowed I was feeling a head change.