• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Cocaine Odd and Concerning Sensation in Vein Days After IV

R34lm5

Greenlighter
Hi there,
Ive recently IVd a number of times over the last few months.
First concerning thing that happened was two weeks ago whenI tried to IV coke into my arm but shortly after my whole forearm and bicepwent numb with irritation, redness and slight swelling at or near the injection site. The numbness dissipated by the following day and in days following the site was just tender and bruised. There is only a small bruise left now and seems fine.

The concerning one happened 3-4 days ago where a similar thing happened but on my other arm. I injected coke into the crook and although I did get a rush it quickly dissipatedand then again my arm and bicep went numb, even my armpit did too. I quickly hot compressed and elevated andthere was no real lump or anything, just redness and maybe a tiny bit ofswelling around the iv site.
I thought it was just another slight miss and that it would heal fine just like the week before in my other arm.
However since yesterday, Ive noticed a really strange feeling. The vein is less pronounced when compared to my other arm, and a little sore to the touch at the iv site and just above it toward the bicep. The really concerning part is that when I move, extend or twist my arm in certain ways, I can feel this almost detatched feeling. Almost like the vein at site of injection is catching or clicking against something, or almost feels like the walls of the vein might be sticking and then unsticking, creating thisodd sensation, or like its taught stretching over something. Its hard to describe but has me quite concerned.
Potentially I went through both ends of the vein and someleaked out during IV. I can see a small bit of scarring on my skin where the needle went in and I have been rubbingvitamin E oil on it. Ive also been taking asprin to thin the blood, and Vitamin C.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what I may have done? There is no redness or swelling. Just a bit of pain or tenderness when touched moreso on the same vein but a little bit above the crook of my arm where I injected (and a bit of general pain but nothing too bad) and like I said this really odd feeling in the IV site, especially when Irotate or move my arm in a certain way. Almost like a tightness or pulling feeling where the IV was done. I also have a bit of dull pain around the crook/inner side of bicep/top of forearm but its very subtle and not my main concern. Just seems like a flow on effect from the aggravation.

Any experiences with this would be greatlyappreciated! Ive probably injected 10-15or so times over the last few months and will not be doing it anymore afterthese last two mishaps. This one in particular has me worried as Ive never experienced sensation like this, and the same vein on the other arm seems more raised and healthy than the one on my other arm that this has happened to. This is one of the two big veins that go over the crook of the arms. Im hoping it will heal and this strange feeling when I move my arm around goes away, but really would love some insights and know whether I'm going to lose my arm or something :S haha.

Last edited:
I had to make a new account as my PC reset without having my details saved.

But to clarify a little further it feels like a taught or pulling type of sensation in the vein in the crook of my arm when I move my arm a certain way.

Really hoping for some help as I'm quite concerned :/

Thanks again!

I don't mean to be a dick or anything, but I cannot, for the life of me, understand why someone who is injecting poison into their bodies would be surprised or perplexed when they have some "unexplained side -effect" from said injections. You veins are obviously not biologically capable of handling one injection after another, which is why IV users are constantly looking for "alternative" spots to shoot up, i.e., created the notorious track marks. People who inject chemicals in their bodies with impunity will have issues, if you regularly inject, and it is not uncommon for veins to collapse or develop scar tissue which can make injecting at those spots impossible, again, requiring the injector to find new spots, whether in the legs, neck, groin, etc., all to ensure a successful injection. And again...when you become an addict of the IV type, especially long-term, this becomes a primary issue...finding a place on the body to successfully shoot up. So again, not being an ass, but I just cannot figure out why people who inject DON'T expect, at some point, for there to be unintended consequences of chronic/constant injecting. I have seen so many people succumb to the needle, ultimately having their lives destroyed, their bodies wrecked, and some of them are no longer around. Many were people I went to HS with. I am still walking around. They are not. I think if we are to be intellectually honest, even those in great denial of what they are doing, know that once you take to the IVing of various compounds that bad things are on the way. Can you get away with it for long periods of time? Sometimes, but alas, we know where the needle is likely to lead, and it ain't anywhere good. I have seen people go from snorting Coke and Heroin, to shooting it, and the inevitable deterioration follow. This is one of the reasons that I, and so many I have known, avoided the needle understanding this, and being told the same by many people that had regretted their decision to inject on the regular. It is one of the most unhealthy and destructive things you can do to your body. I know you know that, and you are looking for answers, but I just figured I'd say it anyway.

Thanks for your reply and I understand what you are saying.

I'd like to reiterate that it's only been a one day a weekend thing for the past 2 or so months and I'm not going to be doing it any more. The potential complications are simply not worth it to me anymore.

In saying that I'd really appreciate some help and insight!

It feels the same today. Strange pulling or taught sensation at IV site when I extend my arm or twist my wrist, dull pain around vein above IV site, vein is less pronounced than same one on the other arm, maybe slightly colder fingertips on the affected arm, but its hard to tell 100% due to the cold weather. No swelling or redness though.

Pls help

If it continues to feel sore and hurt when you extend it and if this continues without going away for 4-5 days, you might have to get it cut open subcutaneous abscesse.
I had the same thing in the crook of my arm, though it was red and slightly swollen, it hurt really bad and continued to hurt for days on.
I thought I could just brush it off but after 5 days I realized it?s not going away, although it wasn?t really that swollen that you?d freak out but the pain was bad when I?d extend my arm out.
The hostpial immediately knew I was an IV user and injected litocain into the abscess directly (my fuck did that hurt!!!) imagine injecting into an already severely painful abscess ...
But after 4-5 seconds it went numb from my arm to the side of my neck and even part of my right cheek.
I looked away as she used the scalpel to cut it open, I felt heat come out of the wound and a bunch of puss squirted literally a foot up and hit my arm and the side of my neck...
The smell was awful and immense amount of puss came out.
They patched me up and gave me 12 clonodines and 12 zofran and told me that should be enough for me to detox and sent me on my way lol...
I?m telling you this Story because I was an ignorant idiot who thought I could ignore it, they told me it would have been way worse if I waited even longer, so I say that so you can be cautious and make the right decision. They won?t call the cops they?re only there to help you

Last edited:
Find your local needle exchange or harm reduction organization and have them give you advice. I’m not super familiar with injecting cocaine, but it sounds like enough of a concern to get it looked at/professional advice. Needle exchanges and harm reduction places are a great place to get this kind of feedback.

It sounds like, possibly, your coke was cut with Xylocaine, Lidocaine or something similar. The other "caines" used to be common coke cuts waaaay back in the day and if there is enough in there it can numb your arm to the point of being like jelly for a while.
I haven't done coke in years and I only have anecdotal , second-hand stories as far as the "caine cuts" go, but you might at least think about it.
Also, think about what you are shoving into your veins.

Were both of the numby shots the same shit? If so, hmmmm.....
However, that feeling should have subsided fairly quickly, but then again, anyone who'd sell you that "coke" would probably sell you any old shit. If it persists see someone.

I've had several veins collapse because of doctors and nurses that either did not know what they were doing or used that particular vein too often. I was in the hospital for 2 months with a lung infection and during that time they stuck the veins in my hands over and over until my hands were bruised and black and the veins collapsed. It was not a pleasant sensation and it was noticeable pain to me for about a week even though I was on heavy duty pain medicine because of the surgery. It could be because of a collapsed vein or it could be an abscess. If it doesn't get better very soon then I agree with everyone else that you should have someone check it. It's not like you will go to jail for this. The hospital and the doctors want to help you and make you better, they do not call the police.

Thanks for all the replies, much appreciated!
I have phones various harm minimisation places in my city and spoken to a couple nurses there, and I have also been to the local hospital and had a chat and brief examination by the drug and alcohol nurse there. It’s now been6 days since the coke IV.

As mentioned – my symptoms are a strange pulling, twisting, taught or catching type sensation where the IV was done in the crook of my arm 6 days ago. This is noticed mainly when I extend my arm and/or twist my wrist around. I noticed this feeling about a day after the IV. I also have a small amount of pain if I press on the vein about 1cm up from the IV site (where the bicep begins), and a bit of tightness at times around the underside of the bicep leading to my underarm, and also a bit down the side of forearm…Maybe in the tendon, or muscular..Cant quite tell. There is at times some very slight weakness in the arm too but its not bad at all and I can clench my fist fine etc. Fingers seem to be getting a bit colder on the affected arm..But my fingers usually get cold in this weather…but they still feel colder than on my other arm.

There is no visible redness, bruising or obvious inflammation, but as mentioned a small amount of general pain, not sharp but dull.

The nurse either suspects slight damage to the nerve, or collapsed vein, or both…But she thought maybe not a collapsed vein because when we poke at the vein with a finger, it bounces back indicating its still working? Albeit the same vein on my other arm is way bigger…it almost looks like the affected vein has shrunken…Or maybe it was always smaller. She was just the drug and alcohol nurse and so it's not like I had xrays or tests done, just visual examination and described my symptoms.

Given my symptoms, could anyone give their thoughts as to what I mightve done? I didn’t feel any crazy pain at the time of injecting (maybe that’s because most of my arm went numb shortly after since it was like a partial miss coke shot). I thought if I nicked a nerve I would’ve known about it immediately!

Anyway, again, just really hoping for any further insights as I’ve done everything I can do for now in terms of seeking help. If I wanted to go see a doc and take it further they wanted all my details and I am adamant about remaining entirely anonymous. There is one place I can see a doc and remain anonymous but not open until Monday…

Wtf is that weird feeling in my arm, has anyone experienced this before or have any ideas? Will it get better over time? (it’s been 6 days already!).
Again, no lumps redness, fever etc at all. Strange pulling, catching or taught sensation in the crook of my arm when I extend it or move my wrist around. Maybe nerve or ligament? Still don't know why I didn't feel any sharp pains at the time of injection though...just immediate numbness of most of the arm followed by a hot compress.

Please let me know your thoughts as Im still looking for answers. Even just what you think it could be would be awesome! Thanks again!

Last edited: