• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

OCD/ Anxiety from weed?

SmokingWeed

Greenlighter
Hey guys. I'm a 20 year old male who smokes weed for bipolar depression, OCD, Generalized Anxiety, and Social Anxiety. I have been to psychiatrists and they didn't help me at all. The pills didn't work. Therapy didn;t work. My psychiatrist of 4 years fired me a few months ago. I have been smoking marijuana for over 2 years. Heavy smoker for over a year and a half I'd say. I'm not on psychiatric meds. But when I'm high I get self conscious sometimes, such as "ah shit, was I touching my face a lot? Those people will think I'm a weirdo or on some type of drug. If they find out that it's only weed they might think I'm weird for acting weird on weed." Sometimes I even act this way when I'm sober. Sometimes I don't give a fuck. Other times it can cause some anxiety and OCD. Is this normal for someone who is trying to medicate mental illnesses with medical cannabis? For a short period of time I used to have mild panic attacks when high on weed, but now that doesn't bother me. Sometimes when sober or high I would be conscious of my facial expressions. I would sometimes not give a fuck. Sometimes I would.

Last edited:
I live in California. So I'm not paranoid about getting caught with weed. Sometimes I smoke a joint around the neighborhood at night. (I have a cannabis recommendation)

BTW, I don't know how the fuck this username didn't get taken. And I signed up on 12/8/16... lol. Pretty OG name.

anxiety is very common with weed.

OCD is a form of anxiety.

you have anxiety disorders and bipolar so what do you expect when you're smoking a drug notorious for panic attacks and anxiety?

very common to over think and get self conscious on weed...

First let me say listening to strangers on the Internet for medical/drug related advice is a questionable practice.

If you can keep in mind that canabis is a suggestive psychedelic, while stoned, you should be able to treat social situations a bit like lucid dreaming. Just take control and decide to not have anxiety. I know that sounds stupidly simple and couldn't possibly work but it's the advice I give to friends that are hitting the panic or anxiety issues. While stoned they seem to be able to flush anxiety issues when reminded they can control it.

When this doesn't work for you, please see paragraph one.

I smoked a lot when I was younger. Gave me bad anxiety. Haven't been a regular smoker in 20 years. I have on occasion taken a puff or 2 but if I do it and go anywhere other than the privacy of my home the anxiety comes back. My suggestion is give up the weed if it's causing you anxiety. Although you live in cali have you tried edibles? I've heard that you can take those and not get anxiety.

Ate a medical grade sativa edible gummy two days ago and had an insane panic attack. Go for the indica edibles if you're looking for a more calm feeling

I wouldn't suggest edibles if you are having panic attacks. Simple reason is duration. Edibles can and usually do have a longer duration and the high, while not as initially spiked as smoking, comes and goes a bit so you get 3 hours of waves of anxiety.

Using edibles that have a higher cbd might help with anxiety. I'd just not suggest trying edibles if you have anxiety issues on weed, unless you have a buddy that wants to babysit you when it goes wrong.

Even with weed set and setting matter. Anxiety is always rooted in some issue other then the weed, weed just brings shit to the surface to either deal with it or run away from ourselves. I experienced a lot of anxiety when I first smoked. Mostly it was mentally getting past all the bullshit I had believed about drugs. I started smoking at 47 and had a lot of anti drug stupidity built into what I thought was true. Once I lost the fear of anything related to weed the anxiety went too.

After reading this I think I will steer clear of weed! Been suggested it to help my anxiety/agoraphobia as I am housebound and on 2 different benzos and an SSRI. I was told that the weed for anxiety should be high in CBD and not THC......This means nothing to me as I only know very little about weed, last time I smoked it was 18 years ago in Amsterdam and the only effect I got was laughing at the most stupid things like a chair that creaked when moved!