• Psychedelic Medicine

OCD | +30 articles

merlin_105526810_fcdf180c-0657-45f5-8cbe-e62a60e75482-jumbo.jpg

How I finally kicked my OCD

by Rich Monahan | New York Times

“You must really love that song,” my mother says, and for a moment my heart stops.

Both of us are plainly aware she need not be more specific than that. I attempt to read her body language out of the corner of my eye. Does she know? There’s no way, right?

“Yeah, it’s a favorite.” I nod, smiling, before turning back toward the television with what I hope is all the nonchalance of a typical 14-year-old boy.

What I definitely do not do is glance back and say, “Funny story about that song, while you’ve clearly noticed I’ve listened to it every single weeknight this entire school year, would you believe I only ever press play at exactly 8:38 p.m.?"

And check this out, once that cable box hits 9:52 p.m., I will casually retire to my bedroom to initiate the final sequence of what has recently ballooned into a nearly 90-minute nightly routine of humiliating compulsions: I’ll touch the same four CDs laid out on my dresser in ‘order’; turn the stereo on and off; move to the entertainment center; touch the ‘Twisted Metal’ video game case; turn on the TV; boot up the PlayStation; shut it off once the load screen finishes; press ‘channel up’ on the cable box until I hit channel 20, then 22, then 40; turn off the cable box, then touch nothing else until it’s lights out at 9:58 p.m.

And that’s not even the craziest part; the craziest part is that I do these things because I believe they will somehow increase my social standing among other ninth graders. Anywho, Mom, the song’s called ‘Daysleeper,’ and I’m pretty sure I’ve lost my mind.

It started in seventh grade, when two childhood friends aged out of hanging out with me. Already depressed and on the verge of friendlessness, I was desperate to preserve life as it had been.

“Well,” my brain misfired, “Last time you all hung out together, you wore that one pair of Hanes tighty whities. Put those on.”

I did. Then I wore them again the next day, and the next, for 30 days straight.

Soon, it snowballed into an impossible amount of rituals, all infused with a bizarre sense of causality: “If I do X, Y and Z today, then tomorrow my classmates will like me.” As if I’d uncovered some grand cosmic game of cause and effect, and could suddenly influence the natural chaos of the universe by displaying three years’ worth of used deodorant sticks chronologically.

My entire day was an effort to recreate the patterns of the previous one.

On the good days, obessive-compulsive disorder can just feel like a bunch of extra chores. On the bad days, when nothing is “working,” you are trapped in a living nightmare, helplessly enslaved to an oppressive and delusional belief system that has swallowed nearly every moment of your waking life.

On the bright side: I always knew exactly where my keys were.

I tried not to examine the bigger implications of it all, though I was aware enough to know I should be absolutely ashamed. So I told no one.

I mastered the art of deflection, expertly turning every response into a joke and steering every conversation into being about the other person.

By the end of high school, I had friends, won superlatives and no one knew a thing about me. Mission accomplished.

But college threw an unexpected curve ball: I finally had a girlfriend.

Michelle and I met when I started performing improv comedy every weekend.

“Is that the same Power Bar that’s always there?” she asks a few weeks into our relationship, staring at the twisted energy bar sitting in the cup holder of my Corolla’s center console. “Oh, that? No, that’d be really funny, but no, I just bought it,” I grin.

Trying to pass this contorted energy bar off as new is akin to peeling roadkill off the highway, bringing it home and announcing we have a new pet. It is of course the same Power Bar I have kept in my car for months, though to be fair, only on Fridays and Saturdays when I have a show, as during the week I store it in my underwear drawer.

Her brow furrows.

As the relationship progresses, there are only so many ways to sidestep her gentle and utterly normal getting-to-know-you questions. I’m eventually forced to tell her about my O.C.D. and depression, but I pretend it’s over: “When I was a kid, I did these rituals so I would have good days.”

She buys me a book about O.C.D. I never read it.

When we’re among friends I’m a delight — sane and gregarious. When we’re alone, I shrink bitterly.

We date for four years but break up annually. Each time, I fall apart and swear I will go to therapy, for real this time.

In the back half of college, I transfer to the school of my dreams and take over my deceased grandmother’s Brooklyn apartment, exactly as she left it.

Michelle suggests painting, I refuse. She asks for closet space, I say sorry, we cannot move Grandma’s oxygen tanks. I cannot risk any fluctuation in my recent streak of positive outcomes.

Imagine looking in the eye the one person on earth who has been instrumental to your success, then turning to your meticulously organized DVDs and thanking them for their service.

Michelle dumps me a final time. I crumble. “No, I was ready for change,” I tell her. Thankfully, she knows it’s a lie, and sets us both free.

For months, I am in free-fall. As someone who chases patterns where there are none, I finally catch a glimpse of one that is very real: This is not the only relationship my mental illness will detonate. It’s just the first.

Ten years into my condition, I am at the end of my rope. I start therapy in earnest and begin to see that — although this might not be true for everyone — for me, all the power I give the rituals lies in shame.

So I do the unthinkable. I go nuclear.

I tell everyone everything.

“So wait, what was the shaving-with-no-pants-on one about?” my friend Nate asked.

“So people would like me.”

“I thought that was carrying the broken Garfield watch.”

“No no, that’s what I did so you’d pick up the phone when I called.”

“Oh. Did it work?”

“Did it work? Nate, I think the whole point of this conversation is that I am absolutely ill-equipped to make that assessment.”

In sharing with friends and family the weirdest things about me, I expect humiliation, or at least some solid recoils in horror. Instead, they mull it over, ask a couple of questions, then tell me the weirdest things about themselves.

Over time, I even become a trusted resource for friends newly tackling their own mental health.

I spent a decade lying, secretly rearranging the objects in my bedroom in order to keep friends around. But opening up enough to tell them so brought us closer than ever.

I have not had a single compulsion since.

photo-1548700819-892a76eed325-780x400.jpeg

Can psychedelics be used to treat OCD?

by Patrick Smith | The Third Wave | 10 Jan 2017

Obsessive-compulsive disorder, or OCD, is a condition that can completely consume sufferer’s lives. Many patients spend hours every day undertaking repetitive, meaningless tasks that they can’t break free from.

It’s thought that the default mode network (DMN), a brain system that controls our sense of self, is involved in OCD. In the same way that the DMN is overactive in people with depression, causing repetitive negative thoughts, it’s likely that the DMN is overactive in a similar way in OCD.

Thankfully, psychedelics can help to release the control of the DMN and could help free people from obsessive thinking.

The first research on psychedelics and OCD took place in the 60s and 70s when two case studies suggested that their patients had been dramatically and permanently affected by LSD experiences, reducing their OCD symptoms and improving their lives. Further case studies from the 80s and 90s reported on psilocybin helping to reduce OCD symptoms.

MODERN STUDIES ON PSYCHEDELICS AND OCD

The first multi-patient trial of psychedelics in the treatment of OCD was performed in 2006, where nine sufferers of OCD were given varying doses of psilocybin and sat in a quiet room for eight hours. All the patients showed improvements in OCD scores in the next 24 hours; however, after six months, all had returned to their previous OCD symptoms. The authors concluded that larger scale, long-term studies are required to see the potential benefits of using psychedelics to treat OCD.

Although there are still no large, long-term studies on psychedelics and OCD, in 2009 researchers ran a promising study on OCD-like behaviors in mice. They found that mice given 1.5mg/kg psilocybin (equivalent to a fairly strong dose in humans) were half as likely to bury marbles.

While this may sound kind of bizarre, marble-burying behaviors in mice represent OCD symptoms in humans, adding more evidence that psychedelics could help reduce OCD symptoms.

A 2005 brain-imaging study lends support to the idea that psychedelics could treat OCD through the serotonin system. Brain imaging of 15 OCD sufferers showed that they were more likely to have an upregulation of serotonin receptors in certain areas of the brain, which is linked to a serotonin deficiency. It’s possible that psychedelics like LSD and psilocybin could treat OCD symptoms through their enhancement of serotonin signalling in the brain.

ANECDOTAL REPORTS FROM OCD SUFFERERS

As well as this collection of preliminary evidence, there are piles of anecdotal reports of psychedelics helping people with OCD symptoms. One of the most well-known stories is that of comedian Adam Strauss, who used psychedelics to overcome his debilitating OCD compulsions. He’s currently performing a play based on his experiences, and is donating all profits to the psychedelic research charity MAPS.

Other anecdotal accounts can be found on forums such as Bluelight or Reddit. We’ve found dozens of reports of psychedelic experiences helping to alleviate OCD symptoms – here are just a few:
I used psilocybin mushrooms to treat my OCD! I was on citalopram for 5 years prior to that and my OCD had only worsened. After the first 5 trips, 3.5g each, I was practically cured. It was like the mushrooms hit a reset button in my brain. […] I attribute the therapeutic effects to not only the high doses but mainly to the cathartic release of negative thought patterns. It was really scary to trip so hard but by losing all control while tripping I learned to let things go in life. I’m no longer afraid of death and am healthier psychologically than I was before I tripped.​
I would say that it was probably more than a coincidence that when I started using mushrooms once a month my OCD suddenly was phased out of my life. Even now, it almost never comes up.​
When I take psychedelics, (mushrooms more so than acid or mescaline) my OCD decreases in severity by 40-75% based on dosage, until they wear off. I’ve found microdosing mushrooms to be a fairly effective treatment for my OCD, and also my Tourette’s.​
I recently took some Psilocybin semilanceata (Liberty caps) with some friends, for recreational/spiritual purposes. The experience was profound intense and ineffable. After the experience was over I noticed straight away that I didn’t feel anxious or depressed, I felt more at peace than I had done in years, but assumed that would have worn off by the next day, it didn’t. 4 weeks later I remain free from anxiety and depression and most remarkably of all, my OCD all but vanished after that night, as if a switch had been flicked in my brain. The majority of my ticks have gone entirely, and those that remain are diminished to the point where I don’t think it would be right for me to say I have OCD anymore. I couldn’t believe it myself afterwards, but the drug (or should I say medicine) has apparently sent my OCD wildly into remission- I’d forgotten what it was like to live life unencumbered by anxiety.​

There are also some accounts of people finding negative effects from psychedelic use:
I have OCD. Psychedelics tend to not be a good idea for people with anxiety disorders. They often can lead to a negative headspace, especially in those with OCD, thought loops can become extremely problematic. Intrusive thoughts can become very real and very scary for the tripper. You might say that this could be good for them, to help them face their fear and yada yada, but it really really does vary. Some will have this effect, but others could be potentially traumatized.​

Accounts like these highlight the importance of being in a therapeutic environment, and treating psychedelics like a potential tool rather than a cure.

THE FUTURE OF OCD TREATMENT?

The evidence isn’t yet conclusive – but we’re slowly building a picture of how psychedelics could help people break free from the restrictive and obsessive thought patterns typical of OCD. There are many anecdotal reports of people using psychedelics to treat their OCD, and it’s likely it will only be a matter of time before we have extensive evidence to support the anecdotal benefits.

Curious about supporting your mental health through psychedelics? Check out Third Wave’s vetted directory of psychedelic therapists.

Last edited:

Psilocybin for OCD*

by Dr. Dick Sireau | DRUG SCIENCE | 28 Jun 2021

Could psilocybin be used for the treatment of OCD?

Psilocybin is currently being researched as a treatment for OCD by Drug Science founder, Prof David Nutt, at the Centre for Psychedelic Research. In this Drug Science webinar, Dr Nick Sireau provides an overview of OCD and the new research being launched into psilocybin as a potential treatment.

What is OCD?

OCD stands for obsessive-compulsive disorder. It affects 2-3% of the population (up to 1.5 million people in the UK), and the WHO has classified it as one of the 10 leading causes of disability worldwide. Unfortunately, 40-50% of OCD patients will not respond to current treatments. In fact, most current medications take 2-3 months to have any effect and are normally prescribed alongside antipsychotic drugs. Despite this, OCD is the least funded of all mental health disorders.

A variety of obsessions and compulsions characterise OCD, and the different types of OCD include:​

• Contamination-based OCD in which people have an overriding phobia of contamination.​
  • Pure OCD, where the obsessions and compulsions are entirely mental, such as the fear of harming people if they lose control.​
  • False memory OCD, in which a false memory is fabricated and then plagues the person, despite being entirely fictional.​
New clinical trial of psilocybin for OCD

The first UK trial of psilocybin for OCD, will assess 20 patients, who will receive 2 sessions of psilocybin therapy and will be investigated with the YBOCS OCD test and a variety of other technical measures. The study was funded by Orchard, a charity set up by Dr Sireau to fund research into new OCD treatments such as psilocybin therapy. In this webinar, Dr Sireau also explains the other research into psilocybin for OCD which is taking place at research centres around the world.

What published research supports psilocybin as a treatment for OCD?

While research on psilocybin therapy for OCD is limited, a 2006 study led by Dr Francisco Moreno investigated the Safety, Tolerability, and Efficacy of Psilocybin in 9 Patients with Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder.

The authors discuss how existing medications and therapies are not very effective, and the need to identify new treatment options. They mention anecdotal reports of how psychedelic agents may relieve the symptoms of OCD. Although the mechanisms underlying OCD remain poorly understood, a large body of clinical data indicates a central role of 5-HT (serotonin). Serotonin is a neurotransmitter: a chemical that alters the signals between neurons (nerve cells in the brain). Those medications that do alleviate symptoms function by increasing synaptic 5-HT (the amount of serotonin in the brain). As a 5-HT receptor agonist, psilocybin (and it’s more active form psilocin) stimulates nerve cells by binding to serotonin receptors and thus psilocybin might be effective in the treatment of OCD.

The results of this study supported the hypothesis: among the nine subjects with OCD, all experienced reductions in OCD symptoms when psilocybin was administered in a controlled clinical environment. Additionally, the treatment proved safe with no serious adverse effects.

Why is there so little research on psilocybin for OCD?

This was a small study, and further research is needed to back up its findings. Despite 15 years having elapsed since the study was performed, no further research has been done on psilocybin for OCD. The reason, according to Dr Moreno, was that the culture and stigma against psychedelic drugs did not allow for it.

While the evidence base has developed slowly, there is now greater awareness of the potential for psychedelic drugs such as psilocybin to be used as treatments for mental disorders, and larger studies meet with less cultural resistance. In fact, a recent YouGov poll by Drug Science found that the majority of the British public support research into psilocybin in the treatment of mental health. However, the schedule 1 status of psilocybin forms a significant barrier to research – something which urgently needs to change to support further research into psilocybin for OCD.

This webinar was recorded during the Student Psychedelic Conference and included a live Q&A session from the audience. If you want to ensure that you don’t miss any of our events, so that you can ask your questions live, all you need to do is join the Drug Science Mailing List.

Drug Science is the leading independent scientific body on drugs in the UK. We rely on donations to provide clear, evidence-based information without political or commercial interference. Drug Science webinars are free, and always will be, so if you’d like to support us then please consider joining the Drug Science Community.

*From the article here :

Last edited:
tingri-everest-base-camp-trek.jpg

Psilocybin and OCD

An interview with Dr. Francisco Moreno and Dr. Brian Bayze
College of Medicine - Tucson

Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) is a psychiatric disorder in which people have obsessive thoughts and fears that cause them to act compulsively. Due to its unique symptoms, the stigma associated with OCD can make it difficult for people to be open about their diagnosis and ask for help. However, recent research by Dr. Francisco Moreno, Professor of Psychiatry at the University of Arizona, and his team, is emphasizing a new way to manage the symptoms of OCD, with the use of psilocybin.

1. How can OCD effect an adult’s day to day life?

OCD is a common and often debilitating mental health disorder characterized by recurring unwanted thoughts/images/urges that often result in compensatory repetitive compulsive behaviors. Obsessions and compulsions are many times senseless and distressing. Their daily impact can be severely burdensome and often results in significant interpersonal, psychosocial, and occupational impairments. Individuals may have extreme difficulty with day-to-day tasks including leaving their home, driving, grocery shopping, interacting with others, or meeting familial or vocational demands. In turn, individuals with OCD often describe comorbid symptoms of depression and may be at an increased risk of suicide. Current approaches to treatment, usually including a specific form of cognitive-behavioral therapy known as Exposure Response Prevention, and or serotonin reuptake inhibiting (SRI) drugs, although helpful, rarely provide full relief of symptoms.

2. What is psilocybin?

Psilocybin is a naturally occurring psychedelic (meaning mind-manifesting) compound that is produced by over 200 different species of “magic” mushroom, most within the genus Psilocybe. Anthropological research indicates that these mushrooms have been used by several indigenous cultures and societies for millennia. Psilocybin is chemically and structurally very similar to our own neurotransmitter, Serotonin, and interacts with the same receptors in the body and brain. When consumed in high doses—either in the form of mushrooms or as purely synthetic—psilocybin is capable of manifesting deeply altered states of consciousness. These experiences often include changes in broad aspects of sensation/perception, heightened emotional awareness, visual/auditory phenomena, and altered perceptions of self, identity, and reality. Some individuals may describe components of a “Mystical Experience” characterized by an often ineffable sense of boundless unity, an expansive sense of awe, feelings of immense gratitude, and transcendence of time and space. Recent research has shown that individuals often rate such an experience as one of the most meaningful events of their lives, similar in significance to the birth of a child or death of a parent. At times these experiences can be anxiety provoking and significantly uncomfortable for those consuming the drug. The mindset and setting in which the drug is utilized is believed to impact the type of experience people have.

3. Has psilocybin been prescribed for a mental health diagnosis?

Psilocybin has never been “prescribed” for a mental health condition, per se. However, in the 1950s and 1960s, a number of early research studies suggested that psilocybin (and similar compounds) was safe and may have broad potential therapeutic benefits on a number of mental health conditions, including depression and addiction. More recent research with psilocybin has shown similar broad therapeutic potential, but it is obvious that any clinical application requires well-designed extensive clinical research trials. Early preliminary clinical research with psilocybin has shown promising beneficial effects on OCD, major depression, and the anxiety/depression associated with terminal illness. The FDA has granted “breakthrough therapy” designation for psilocybin in both treatment-resistant depression as well as major depressive disorder. A breakthrough therapy designation is for a drug that treats a serious or life-threatening condition and preliminary clinical evidence indicates that the drug may demonstrate substantial improvement on clinically significant outcomes over available therapies. Ongoing and future clinical trials will further evaluate psilocybin’s therapeutic potential in treating these and other indications.

4. How can psilocybin ease OCD symptoms?

There are multiple potential mechanisms by which treatment with psilocybin may help with the symptoms of OCD. Psilocybin interacts with different serotonin receptors in the brain, including those which seem to regulate certain brain regions of individuals with OCD. Treatment with multiple doses of psilocybin may change the binding activity of serotonin receptors such that symptoms are reduced. Psilocybin may also alleviate concerns with doubt and rumination, these are key elements underlying obsessions which may be measured through assessment of a specific brainwave pattern—known as error related negativity (ERN)—that increased in individuals with symptomatic OCD. Recent research has shown that psilocybin alters functional connectivity between and within different brain regions. One particular network of brain structures known as the Default Mode Network (DMN) is highly involved in self-referential thinking and has been shown to have increased connectivity and activity in individuals with OCD. Treatment with psilocybin may dramatically change and reset functional connectivity with DMN structures leading to reduced OCD symptoms. Psychological openness observed in the context of a psychedelic experience has been studied extensively and it is believed to facilitate the development of insights and attitudes that often are sought through the psychotherapy process. Finally, subjective transformative experiences—including, perhaps a “Mystical Experience”—within the psychedelic experience itself may contribute to improved wellness, decreased stress, and improved OCD symptoms. Risks may exist also with the use of psilocybin and other psychedelic agents, which may complicate the mental health of individuals. Hence, it is important to ensure that screening limits the risk to individuals considered at risk for complications.

5. What do you want our society to know about your study of using psilocybin to help with an OCD diagnosis?

It is not often in the field of psychiatry that we find a treatment that may immediately and significantly change an individual’s symptoms that have been present for years. Treatment with psilocybin, when done in an interpersonally supportive setting with a well-prepared individual, is not only safe but may result in rapid and significant reductions in overall OCD symptoms and a general improvement in overall quality of life. Psilocybin represents a paradigm shift in the treatment approach to OCD as well as other mental health conditions including depression and addiction. If psilocybin shows to be safe and effective in current trials, it may advance our ability to develop new therapies to best serve people suffering from OCD.

Last edited:
post-aspot-bg.jpg

The use of Psilocybin for OCD treatment*

BRAINSWAY | 29 Mar 2022

Despite great strides in research, theory and field work, obsessive-compulsive disorder (or OCD) remains a hard condition to understand. Whether one considers it to be an anxiety-based condition signaling a need for survival, or a distress-based condition shaped by an extreme uneasiness and an inability to return to a state of calm, OCD seems to evade not only a comprehensive definitive, but an agreed-upon treatment. At present, FDA-approved OCD treatments include selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRI medication) and cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT), in addition to the FDA-cleared transcranial magnetic stimulation (TMS), all of which have been recognized for their safety and efficacy. Yet with popular solutions such as SSRIs achieving a modest remission rate, and many patients with OCD considered treatment-resistant, experts are turning to less conventional options, discovering how the interplay between psychedelics and OCD may yield greater relief for patients.

OCD: A short (agreed upon) definition

Though much about OCD remains disputed, a single, basic axiom has been accepted as its core attribute: OCD, first and foremost, is a mental health disorder that combines obsessive thoughts and compulsive behavior.

Essentially, these two key elements mean that those contending with this condition face a barrage of deeply troubling thoughts, the need to repetitively act out certain behaviors in an attempt to quiet these thoughts, or both.

The four most common OCD-related obsessions are:​
  • Cleanliness and contamination.​
  • Catastrophizing (worrying something terrible will happen to oneself or a loved one).​
  • Order and “just right” thinking (the idea that ‘all must be in place,’ otherwise there cannot be calm).​
  • Taboo thoughts (usually about a morally reprehensible, socially unacceptable, or blasphemous action).​
There are seemingly inexhaustible examples of compulsive behavior, meant to assuage the unpleasant feelings that arise from the patient’s unwanted focus on their OCD-related obsession. OCD-related compulsions can manifest as repetitive handwashing, counting the letters in a given sentence, repeating a certain phrase (either aloud or to oneself), and many others.

An uphill battle toward symptom relief

OCD is typically a chronic condition, especially when patients do not seek treatment for it. The American Psychiatric Association (APA) states that without treatment, remission rates stand at 20%, with additional sources finding OCD remission rates to fall somewhere between 10%-20%.

When treated with serotonin reuptake inhibitor medication (SRIs), remission rates have been shown to be somewhat higher, at 38%. This statistic, though, remains relatively modest, particularly when coupled with the finding that one third of patients with OCD are considered to be treatment-resistant, a status that mainly means they do not benefit from conventional OCD medication, or find its side effects to be too adverse to continue.

All this is to say that many patients with OCD do not receive enough symptom relief from the more established therapeutic routes. As a result, scientists are looking into psychedelic medications as a less-explored avenue that holds a great deal of potential.

Psychedelics-and-OCD.png

The benefits and considerations of psychedelics to treat OCD

When it comes to OCD, a key advantage that psychedelic treatment offers is letting go. On a theoretical level, since OCD seems to revolve around the inability to relinquish control over one’s mind in the face of adverse thought content, it makes sense to circumvent the mental structures placed in one’s mind, via defense mechanisms and automatic thinking, with a drug that reaches deep within one’s unconscious.

That said, psychedelic mental health research—and particularly psychedelic OCD research—is still in its infancy, and much more needs to be verified before it can be considered a broad alternative to current, first-line OCD treatments, such as SSRIs and CBT. All psychedelic drug treatment options should be carried out in a safe environment and administered by a licensed mental health professional with experience in this form of therapy.

The-Benefits-and-Considerations-of-Psychedelics-for-OCD.png

Psilocybin OCD treatment

Out of the different psychedelic treatments currently being explored for their mental health benefits, a substance called psilocybin is particularly looked at for its potential to alleviate symptoms of OCD.

Also referred to as “magic mushrooms”, psilocybin is found in different types of mushrooms. Psilocybin is thought to affect the brain’s serotonergic pathways, binding with serotonin receptors, thereby preventing its reuptake and prolonging its activation. As serotonin has already been implicated as a central factor in the appearance of OCD symptoms, psilocybin is believed to work through its effect on this particular neurotransmitter.

As a psychedelic substance, larger doses of psilocybin can cause hallucinations. It can also bring about a feeling of euphoria, and spiritual or introspective experiences.

Combining psilocybin with psychotherapy can help the patients better understand the psychedelic imagery and content that arises as a result of the drug and decipher what troubling and even traumatic experiences continue to plague them—perhaps in the form of unrelenting OCD thoughts and obsessions.

Studies have cited that psilocybin can cause immediate improvement in OCD severity, as opposed to the weeks that usually take for SSRI medication to take effect. The psychedelic has particularly been shown to alleviate OCD symptoms of doubt and rumination. Such results can, for example, allow patients with OCD to go about their day without an unending concern over whether they did, in fact, lock their front door, or over the chance of catching an infection from using a public toilet.

Psilocybin has also been found to be safe and well-tolerated, somewhat in contradiction to its more concerning reputation as a psychedelic. That said, it can cause certain concerning side effects. These include panic, paranoia, drowsiness, anxiety, and psychosis—also known as a “bad trip.” Due to these and other possible side effects, patients with a history of bipolar disorder, mania, or psychosis are discouraged from treating their OCD with psilocybin.

*From the article here :

1200px-King%27s_College_London_Chapel_2%2C_London_-_Diliff.jpg

Kings College London
A potential role for psilocybin in the treatment of OCD

by Edward Jacobs | Journal of Psychedelic Studies | 1 Jun 2020

The recent revivification of interest in the therapeutic use of psychedelics has had a particular focus on mood disorders and addiction, although there is reason to think these drugs may be effective more widely. After outlining pertinent aspects of psilocybin and obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD), the current review summarizes the evidence indicating that there may be a role for psilocybin in the treatment of OCD, as well as highlighting a range of potential therapeutic mechanisms that reflect the action of psilocybin on brain function. Although the current evidence is limited, that multiple signals point in directions consistent with treatment potential, alongside the psychological and physiological safety of clinically administered psilocybin, support the expansion of research, both in animal models and in further randomized controlled trials, to properly investigate this potential.

Introduction

The last decade has witnessed a resurgence of interest in serotonergic psychedelics, such as lysergic acid diethylamide (LSD) and psilocybin, for the treatment of a range of psychopathologies. Whilst individuals self-medicate with (typically illegally procured) drugs, universities are undertaking controlled clinical trials with legal authorization from governments. Although the best-developed of these research programmes have focused on the treatment of mood disorders and addiction, the aim of this review is to discuss the potential use of psilocybin for patients with Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD). Tentative evidence from multiple sources (preclinical investigations, case studies, and an open-label trial) together suggest that psilocybin may be an effective treatment and, given the compound's safety when administered in a medically-controlled context, further investigation is warranted.​

Psilocybin

Background

Psilocybin (IUPAC name [3-(2-dimethylaminoethyl)-1H-indol-4-yl] dihydrogen phosphate) is a naturally occurring psychoactive compound found in the sclerotia and fruiting bodies of approximately 200 mushroom species worldwide. Humans have been ingesting psilocybin-containing mushrooms for hundreds, if not thousands of years, interpreting the resulting perceptual anomalies and altered sense of reality as a means for communing with the spirits of the natural world in order to obtain healing and knowledge. Nonetheless, since 1971 psilocybin has been in Schedule I of the United Nations Single Convention on Psychotropic Substances, and as such, both recreational and scientific use is subject to the strictest control in jurisdictions worldwide, including Schedule I of the United States' Controlled Substances Act, as well as Class A and Schedule 1 of the United Kingdom's Misuse of Drugs Act.

Pharmacology & neurobiology of psilocybin

A tryptamine alkaloid, psilocybin was first isolated from the Psilocybe mexicana in 1957, and synthesized the following year, by the discoverer of LSD, chemist Albert Hofmann. When taken orally, it is rapidly dephosphorylated in the acidic environment of the stomach, and by alkaline phosphatases in the intestine, to produce psilocin, a lipid-soluble phenol compound which easily crosses the blood-brain barrier. Early preclinical studies demonstrated that the behavioral effects of psilocybin parallel the increase in the level of psilocin in the brain. Although psilocin is a full or partial agonist at a range of receptors, it shows notable affinity for the serotonin 5-HT1A, 5-HT2A, and 5-HT2C sub-types.

Although the 5-HT1A and 5-HT2C receptors are known to play some role in the effects of psilocin, the 5-HT2A receptor principally mediates its characteristic effects. In humans, subjective intensity following psilocybin administration correlates with 5-HT2A receptor occupancy, while pre-treatment with a selective 5-HT2A antagonist blocks, or significantly attenuates, the characteristic effects of psilocybin.

While full accounts of the downstream neural effects of these changes are available elsewhere, the most salient consequences of 5-HT2A activation by a psychedelic include enhancement of activity of neuronal networks in the prefrontal cortex via an elevated but asynchronous release of glutamate.

Enhanced glutamatergic activity may lead to increased expression of brain-derived neurotrophic factor, thought to play a role in adult neurogenesis, and psychedelics increase neuritogenesis and spinogenesis both in vitro and in vivo. The asynchronous nature of psychedelic-induced glutamate-release at the single-neuron level leads to disruptions to the normal rhythmic oscillations of cortical neurons, and ultimately to the disorganisation of cortical activity, and temporary disintegration of resting-state networks such as the Default Mode Network. This disintegration within networks is coupled with desegregation between networks. These network-level phenomena are associated with subjective reports of “ego dissolution” and the “peak” or “mystical” experience, wherein users report a breaking down of the distinction between subject and object, alongside a sense of sacredness, of “transcending time and space”, and a deeply felt positive mood. Larger doses of psilocybin are associated with greater likelihood of peak experience, and multiple studies have reported that peak experiences are predictive of therapeutic effect, as discussed below.

Characteristic use and effects of psilocybin

After oral administration of 10–20 mg of psilocybin, peak plasma levels of psilocin are reached after approximately 105 minutes. Physiological and subjective effects begin within 20–90 minutes, and persist up to 6 hours. Typical effects include dramatic changes to cognition and perception including illusions and synesthesia, as well as distortions to perception of self, time, and space, often accompanied by heightened affect. Adverse events recorded in recent clinical trials include transient hypertension, nausea and vomiting, headache, and confusion. Serotonergic psychedelics may exacerbate pre-existing psychosis, and for this reason, modern studies have excluded those with a history, or family history, of a psychotic condition. Extreme psychological distress, and risky behavior, are certainly possible with the use of psychedelics, although these risks can be minimized and managed through (i) judicious attention to “set” and “setting” – the psychological and environmental context for a psilocybin experience, and (ii) the use of a sober “minder” or “guide” – a harm-reduction strategy often used by recreational users, and always employed in clinical contexts.

Drug effects increase monotonically with dose, with doses as low as 5 mg/70 kg producing subjectively perceptible effects. Active doses in recent experimental and clinical studies have been in the range of 10–35 mg per os. Typical recreational doses vary from 10 to 50 mg, approximately equivalent to 10–50 g of fresh mushrooms, or 1–5 g of dried mushrooms. However, the natural variability of psilocybin content, and the content of other psychoactive alkaloids, across different species and even different batches of Psilocybe mushrooms, mean that users risk some inaccuracies in their dosing. Although there remain very real risks of users coming to harm during “bad trips” in uncontrolled settings, the drug is associated with particularly low rates of emergency treatment seeking.

In public consciousness, magic mushrooms have a negative image associated with mental ill-health, in part because of a now-recognized risk of exacerbating psychotic conditions, but also due to a sensationalized cultural history. However, two recent large scale retrospective population studies, including separate data sets of over 130,000 US adults, not only failed to find any evidence of an association between psychedelic use and mental health problems, but actually found lower likelihood of impaired mental health and suicidality following psychedelic use, a finding replicated for psilocybin specifically in an independent analysis. Given the rigorous screening and preparation process in experimental and clinical trials, in which great efforts are made to familiarize and reassure participants about likely drug effects, along with the high level of clinical care and attention afforded during drug sessions, recent studies have been associated with very low incidences of extreme psychological distress: although sedative medications have been included in the standard safety protocols of recent studies, there is as yet no recorded mention of their use.

Clinical efficacy

Although some 40,000 patients were treated with psychedelics in the 1950s and 1960s, with often positive results recorded in more than 1,000 clinical papers, the greater part of this research – like most research from that period – does not stand up to modern standards of descriptive, methodological, or analytical rigor. Nonetheless, recent investigations of psilocybin have provided tentative but growing evidence for its promise in the treatment of mood disorders, addiction, and OCD.

Currently, the best-explored indication for psilocybin has been in the treatment of anxiety and depression secondary to cancer, or terminal diagnoses. While mortality-related existential despair is not a recognized condition in DSM-V, depression and anxiety secondary to cancer and other terminal illnesses appear to respond comparatively poorly to standard pharmacotherapies. A small trial of patients with advanced-stage cancer with a co-morbid anxiety disorder found that a single modest dose (14 mg/70 kg) of psilocybin was sufficient to reduce trait-anxiety at 1 and 3 months after treatment, as well as a significant reduction in depressive symptoms, as measured by the Beck Depression Inventory (BDI), at 6 months. Later studies employed double-blind, cross-over trials of a higher dose (21–22 mg/70 kg) of psilocybin in patient groups of 29 and 51 cancer patients with a DSM-IV depression or anxiety diagnosis, tested against active placebos of a very low dose of psilocybin (1–3 mg/70 kg) or niacin (250 mg). As with the vast majority of recent clinical research using psychedelics, both protocols conceived of the treatment as a combination pharmaco-psychotherapy approach. On drug dosing days, patients wore eyeshades and listened to music, with light-touch, supportive, and largely non-directive contributions from therapists. Dosing days were embedded within wider psychotherapy programmes, with preparatory sessions to establish therapeutic rapport and reassurance about drug effects, as well as integrative sessions to make sense of experiences under drug effects. Ross et al. found that psilocybin produced rapid and enduring decreases in anxiety and depression that persisted for 60–80% of patients at the 6.5-month mark, as well as significant improvements in demoralization, hopelessness, and attitudes towards death. These effects were replicated by Griffiths et al., with patients displaying clinically significant reductions in clinician-measured and self-rated measures of anxiety and depressed mood at the 6-month follow-up. These were accompanied by significant persisting effects on positive attitudes about life and self, as well as improved relationships. Notably from both these studies, improvements at 5 or 6 weeks in a suite of measures of depression, anxiety, and outlook, significantly correlated to the extent of a patient's ‘mystical experience’ during the psilocybin session, as measured by the Mystical Experience Questionnaire.

The apparent therapeutic importance of the quality of the psilocybin experience has been suggested elsewhere. In an open-label trial of psilocybin for 19 patients with treatment-resistant depression, patients underwent two drug sessions in a supportive setting, of 10 mg and later 25 mg psilocybin, separated by a week. All patients showed some reduction in depression severity 1 week after the high-dose session, with clinically significant reductions sustained by most patients for 3–5 weeks, and in many for up to 6 months. Notably, improvements in depression severity at 5 weeks were predicted by the extent to which the 25 mg session induced an experience of “oceanic boundlessness,” a dissolution of ego boundaries associated with positive mood.

Similar patterns of promising results have been recorded in open-label studies of psilocybin in substance use disorders. Two sessions with psilocybin within a wider context of Motivational Enhancement Therapy led to significant increases in alcohol abstinence in problem drinkers, with results largely persisting to 36-week follow-up. MEQ scores (but also general drug intensity) in the first session were predictive of improvements in number of drinking days, alcohol craving, and abstinence self-efficacy. Elsewhere, a sample of 15 nicotine-dependent smokers undertook two or three doses of psilocybin embedded within a CBT-based smoking cessation therapy course. Biologically-verified smoking abstinence at 12-months was significantly higher than that produced by other available psychotherapies and pharmacotherapies, with successful abstainers scoring higher on a measure of mystical experience.​

OCD

Burden of OCD

OCD, a complex condition primarily characterized by anxiety-laden intrusive thoughts, images, or urges (obsessions), and repetitive behaviors which only temporarily reduce that anxiety (compulsions), is associated with significantly compromised quality of life. While estimates for the lifetime prevalence of OCD have ranged between 2 and 2.5%, both behavioral and pharmacotherapies are recorded to have high non-response rates. Given that ablative lesion neurosurgery is used to treat intractable cases, despite not being recommended due to its inherent major risks, there is a real need to develop novel treatments.

Pathophysiology of OCD

Driven by findings from treatment studies as well as animal and genetic research, neurochemical models of OCD have focused on three candidate neurotransmitter systems – serotonin, dopamine, and glutamate. However, inconsistent responses to single monoamine-targeted treatments, as well as inconclusive evidence from pharmacologic challenge studies, weaken the case for straightforward pathophysiological models that cast OCD as primarily a disorder of monoamine function. While SSRIs are the typical first-line anti-obsessional agents, some 20–40% of OCD patients do not respond adequately to them, with reported symptom decreases of between 30 and 50% in those that do respond. Additionally, dietary depletion of tryptophan – necessary for the biosynthesis of serotonin – does not lead to a worsening of symptoms in OCD. Other studies have shown positive treatment responses from dopamine antagonists in those refractory to treatment with SSRIs, with a number of studies pointing to a role for increased dopaminergic transmission in the maintenance of symptoms. While these findings perhaps indicate a biological heterogeneity of OCD phenotype, it may be that dopaminergic and serotonergic modulations compensate, through different mechanisms, to some abnormality in a functionally coupled system underlying the neurobiology of OCD.

There is extensive interaction between the dopamine and serotonin systems, particularly in the basal ganglia, an area consistently implicated in OCD by neuroimaging studies. Functional changes to basal ganglia activity correlate with clinical improvement in OCD patients, and insults to this area are known to produce OCD symptoms.

In addition to abnormal basal ganglia activity, functional neuroimaging of OCD patients typically reveals increased activation in the orbitofrontal cortex (OFC) and anterior cingulate cortex (ACC), which are connected to the basal ganglia via cortico-striatal-thalamo-cortical (CSTC) circuitry, leading to a popular, though not definitive account of the neural underpinnings of OCD. In the CSTC model, the OFC and ACC, the basal ganglia, and thalamus are connected in a circuit containing a direct loop via the globus pallidus pars interna, with a net excitatory effect on the thalamus, and an indirect loop via the globus pallidus pars externa and subthalamic nuclei, with a net inhibitory effect. It is proposed that, in OCD, an excess of activity through the direct pathway over the indirect pathway leads to a positive feedback loop between the OFC and ACC and the thalamus, resulting in disruptions to the thalamus' function in sensory gating. As a consequence, information that would otherwise be processed implicitly is subject to persistent conscious attention.

Alongside maladaptively persistent conscious attention to stimuli, OCD patients experience aversive emotional responses to them, including fear, disgust, and anxiety. Although there is not yet a widely accepted model of the neural circuitry underlying these affective responses, a recent meta-analysis of 25 neuroimaging studies lends credence to the previously contested suggestion that they are subserved by hyperactivity in the amygdala, a brain area centrally implicated in the perception and generation of emotion.

Repeated conscious concerns about threat or contamination, coupled with exaggerated affective responses, lead to behaviors aimed at responding to the perceived threat. The transient relief that follows rewards and reinforces the behavior, leading to the cyclical recurrence of an obsession and its consequent compulsion.

Psilocybin and OCD

Research supporting psilocybin's use in treating OCD

Despite a paucity of clinical trials investigating the anti-obsessional effect of psilocybin, converging evidence from a number of sources, as well as some possible mechanisms of action, lend support to its plausibility as a treatment. Although a considerable number of user reports on the internet – and one critically acclaimed stand-up comedy show, developed and performed by an OCD patient – attest to the efficacy of psilocybin, their low evidentiary weight preclude their exploration here. The varied evidence outlined below, although far from conclusive, indicate a triangulation of signals in support of a potential role for psilocybin in treating OCD, meriting the extension of formal research investigating this possibility.

In a rodent model of OCD – marble-burying behavior – Matsushima and colleagues studied the effects both of psilocybin, and a solution of powdered Psilocybe argentipes, in mice. While both synthetic psilocybin and the mushroom solution were recorded to reduce marble burying without reducing general locomotor activity, the study is beset with interpretive challenges. Starkly, there remain substantial grounds that a true animal model can be found of a condition primarily characterized by obsessive thoughts, which, if they exist in mice, cannot be accessed. Although marble-burying tests have been widely used as a cost-effective model of OCD, on the grounds that a non-functional repetitive behavior may reflect the behavioral, outwardly measurable expression of OCD, the test shows poor predictive validity, notably because it is also responsive to anxiolytic drugs with no anti-compulsive activity. But since psilocybin is well-established to have an anxiolytic effect, the causal process driving the positive effect reported by Matsushima et al. remains underdetermined. Elaborating on this finding by exploring anti-compulsive effect across multiple animal models would be of particular value.

Several case studies have detailed patients with OCD and similar diagnoses who have alleviated their symptoms with self-administration of serotonergic psychedelics including Psilocybe mushrooms. Regrettably, none of these reports include lab-based analyses of the drugs in question, so precise doses and amounts of active ingredients are unavailable. Both Leonard and Rapoport & Moreno and Delgado report male polydrug users with OCD who experienced exacerbation of symptoms following cocaine use, but a complete remission of symptoms for hours or days following psilocybin ingestion. One of the patients had moved to a daily treatment regimen, which led to a tolerance to psychedelic effects, but continued relief from symptoms. Wilcox reported a patient with OCD taking psilocybin every three weeks for the continued abatement of anxiety, intrusive thoughts, and rituals. Hanes reported a male patient with body dysmorphic disorder (understood as a related disorder in the DSM-5), who typically spent up to 4 h a day checking his appearance in the mirror, a behavior which caused him significant distress. On multiple occasions after taking Psilocybe mushrooms, his distress was significantly eased, and he no longer saw himself as deformed when looking in the mirror.

An open-label study of psilocybin for OCD enrolled nine patients with moderate-to-severe symptoms, who had an average of 3.4 previous treatment failures, and of whom five were unable to work because of their condition. Patients received three escalating doses of psilocybin, each separated by at least a week, with a very low dose inserted randomly in a double-blind manner at any point after the first dose. Across the 24-h post-administration monitoring period, all patients experienced marked relief from symptoms, i.e., a 23–100% reduction from baseline on the Yale-Brown Obsessive-Compulsive Scale, in one or more psilocybin session. Two-thirds of patients maintained a ≥50% decrease in YBOCS score at 24 hours for at least one session. Two patients reported symptomatic relief lasting nearly a week, with one patient still in remission at the 6-month follow-up. Notably, neither the psilocybin dose, nor the intensity of its subjective effects, predicted the magnitude of change to YBOCS scores.

A number of shortcomings in this study could be addressed in future investigations. Crucially, and in contrast to the bulk of recent clinical research into psilocybin, patients were not provided formal adjunct therapy in advance of and after treatment. There is some evidence to suggest that longer therapist-patient contact before drug sessions increases the probability of a peak experience. Patient reports and observer recordings have pointed to the beneficial effect of preparatory measures, including the setting of formal intentions, the development of solid rapport with therapists across multiple preparatory sessions, and the placement of drug sessions within a wider therapeutic context. It has long been recognized that, during the ‘psychedelic afterglow’, the days and weeks following a psychedelic experience, ‘there is a unique opportunity for effective psychotherapeutic work’, possibly mediated by an increase in psychological flexibility. Although five of the patients of the Moreno study ‘readily described their experiences as very psychologically and spiritually enriching’, and four reported ‘profound positive transcendental experiences’, there was no formal measure of mystical experience taken. As well as producing a non-negligible hallucinogenic effect, the very low dose of psilocybin, which had been intended as a placebo comparator, provided substantial relief from symptoms in four patients. While the dose-independent reduction in symptoms might be partially explained as a result of an expectancy-driven placebo effect, the magnitude and longevity of relief in some patients, as well as low reported magnitudes of placebo effects in OCD suggest some pharmacologically mediated action.

Possible psychedelic mechanisms of action in OCD

Neurobiologically, both the acute action of psychedelics, and their longer-lasting effects, provide possible accounts of their therapeutic action in OCD, which need not be considered as mutually exclusive.

The cortical 5-HT2A hyper-activation that occurs during the acute psychedelic state is known to lead to alterations in the functioning of the CSTC circuit, disrupting the thalamic gating of sensory and cognitive information – resulting not only in perceptual distortions, but likely also the manifestation of otherwise unconscious psychic material, understood to be a central component of psychedelic, as well as traditional psychoanalytic, psychotherapy. A leading explanation of enduring anti-depressive effect of psilocybin is that it functions like a ‘reset button’ – whereby acute disruption of a maladaptively functioning DMN is followed by post-acute reintegration with a resumption of normal functioning. Functional abnormalities to CSTC circuitry in OCD are known to normalize after successful treatment by pharmacotherapy or psychotherapy, so the psychedelic ‘reset’ may also be at work in the treatment of OCD, with normal functioning of the CSTC circuitry restored after an acute disruption.

An alternative neurobiological account of obsessional activity in OCD emphasizes the role of dysfunctional activity in the DMN, a network which is associated with self-referential cognitive processing. Excessive self-referential cognitive activity has long been understood to be present in OCD. The disruption and reintegration ‘reset’ in DMN activity that is seen with psilocybin may, in OCD patients, allow the easing of an overly strong, top-down filtering bias, thereby re-establishing normal responsiveness towards the environment. A particularly promising model of the subjective and clinical effects of psychedelics as relaxation of top-down biases, framed in the formal terms of the free energy principle and hierarchical predictive coding, was recently developed by Carhart-Harris.

Reductions in compulsivity following successful treatment for OCD may be cast, in part, as restorations to cognitive flexibility – the capacity to stop or switch behaviors to optimize outcomes. OCD populations record various reaction time and accuracy deficits in reversal learning tasks, which track abnormal activity within the OFC, and its connectivity to the wider CSTC loop. Both psilocybin and the structurally similar LSD have been demonstrated to enhance reversal learning in rat and primate models, an effect which antagonist studies with SSRIs suggest may be mediated by their 5-HT2A agonism in the OFC.

Despite some support for the role of 5-HT2A receptor binding in the attenuation of these deficiencies related to OCD, the evidence suggests this is a compensatory effect, rather than a normalization of healthy function. Neuroimaging studies of 5-HT2A receptor binding in OCD provide mixed reports, with the largest and most homogenous samples failing to replicate early indications of increased binding in OCD patients relative to controls, or increased binding within patients correlating to symptom severity.

The post-psilocybin improvements to OCD symptoms reported in case studies and by Moreno et al. may also be supported by changes in affective processing. Through 5-HT2A agonism, psilocybin increases goal-directed behavior towards positive compared to negative cues, and reductions to measures of amygdala activity and connectivity in response to negative emotional facial expressions reported in both healthy and clinical populations. Although it remains to be seen whether a similar effect is seen in response to OCD triggers, blunting of emotional reactivity through reduced amygdalar response may also support attenuation of symptoms, interrupting the obsession-compulsion cycle by decreasing its affective/motivational component.

Future research directions

Research to determine the precise mechanisms and effectiveness of psilocybin in OCD remains stymied by the legal status of psilocybin. Despite its striking clinical effect in a number of indications, as a naturally occurring compound, psilocybin presents a challenging intellectual property space which may temper the enthusiasm of industry for investment of the significant resources required to bring a treatment to market. The stigma associated with psilocybin's restrictive legal classification deters both grant funders and ethics committees from supporting research, while these restrictions hinder the pace of scientific investigation by introducing significant bureaucratic and financial hurdles, meaning only the best-resourced and most determined scientists are able to pursue research. Many of these hurdles are in place whether a lab requires 8 mg of psilocybin for an animal study or 800 mg for a clinical trial. Understanding of the potential role of psilocybin for OCD would be greatly enriched by extending mouse study to other rodent models with higher predictive validity or which capture other features of OCD. But with entry costs to all psychedelic research so high, it is perhaps not surprising that the psychedelic renaissance has seen animal research using psilocybin trail behind higher-impact and more headline-grabbing clinical research.

While the efficacy of psilocybin in treating OCD has not been directly compared to that of SSRIs, wider contextual factors favor its further investigation. Up to 90% of OCD patients have comorbid conditions, including mood, anxiety, and substance use disorders, while comorbid major depressive disorder is associated with decreased likelihood of recovery from OCD. The growing evidence in support of psilocybin for treating these conditions suggests that future clinical studies ought to consider permitting the participation of patients with comorbid disorders.

The Arizona lab which completed the original clinical study is now running an expanded, placebo-controlled trial with psilocybin. The inclusion of functional neuroimaging at multiple time points will provide invaluable data about how changes in functional connectivity map onto therapeutic outcomes. Nonetheless, beyond an integrative debriefing after each of the eight sessions, these are not embedded within a wider psychotherapeutic program. As such, the trial is effectively a test of a novel pharmacotherapy, rather than a combined pharmaco-psychotherapy approach of the style that has generated impressive effect sizes for other indications. Considering the evidence outlined above on the afterglow of increased psychological flexibility (and, perhaps, receptivity to therapy) in the post-acute phase, a properly informed understanding of the potential of psilocybin to treat OCD will not be secured before trials are undertaken with an appropriate adjunct psychotherapy.

There are some reasons for optimism about the feasibility of expanding this research. To its credit, the UK government has furthered psilocybin research through Medical Research Council and National Institute of Health Research grants, exploring its potential role in treating depression. Nonetheless, a far more effective course of action would be to remove the excessive restrictions surrounding legitimate uses of psilocybin. Cannabis was moved from Schedule 1 to Schedule 2 of the Misuse of Drugs Regulations within four months in 2018. Doing the same with psilocybin will vastly reduce the financial and bureaucratic hindrances associated with research, while maintaining a level of oversight and control deemed acceptable for drugs with significantly greater harm profiles, including both medical cocaine and diamorphine hydrochloride (heroin).

Conclusion

Given the relative lack of efficacy of current treatment options, OCD and its management remain a global healthcare problem. The current mainstay drug class, SSRIs, come with significant side-effects, with higher doses increasing efficacy only at the cost of a higher side-effect burden. In comparison, psilocybin has been demonstrated to be both physiologically and psychologically safe when taken under the supervision of a clinician, and has very low dependence potential. Given that intractable OCD is an indication for neurosurgery, there is a particularly strong case for the exploration of novel pharmacotherapies, and safe alternative drugs – even those with sensationalized cultural histories – ought to be objectively explored.

Some preclinical evidence, along with a number of case studies and a single controlled trial point towards a possible treatment effect from psilocybin. Moreover, abnormalities at both the receptor and network levels that are implicated in OCD symptomatology are known to be disrupted by psychedelics, marking out potential mechanisms of action. The preliminary safety and efficacy data provide sufficient scientific grounds to justify the expansion of systematic investigation of psilocybin as a treatment of OCD. But while excessive restrictions and political inertia impede such an expansion, dissuading both academia and industry from research, the cost is ultimately borne by patients.

*From the article (including references) here :

Last edited:
1200px-Sherfield_Building%2C_Queen%27s_Lawn.jpg

Imperial College London

New research investigates psilocybin as OCD treatment

Brain scans and surveys will look at psilocybin's effect on OCD.

by Jennifer Walker-Journey | Psychedelic Spotlight | 29 Mar 2021

Psychedelic therapy is being investigated as a treatment for a range of mental health disorders from anxiety and depression to hard-to-treat post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) and addiction. New research is delving into whether the therapies may be helpful in treating obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD) as well.

OCD is a condition that involves recurring, unwanted thoughts, ideas, or sensations (obsessions) that compel the individual to do something repetitively (compulsions). About 2.2 million adults in the U.S. have OCD, and for some, the condition can be debilitating. The most effective treatments include cognitive behavior therapy and long-term medication like antidepressants.

The first study investigating psychedelics for OCD was published in the Journal of Clinical Psychiatry in 2006. It involved treating nine patients with doses of psilocybin ranging from “very low” to “frankly hallucinogenic.” All nine showed immediate improvement after just one dose and no dosage was singled out as any more effective than the other.

Since then, the focus of psychedelic research has been mainly on anxiety, depression, PTSD, and addiction. But three studies using psychedelics to treat OCD are either ramping up or are currently underway with research expected to be published in the coming months or years.

In 2017, a study investigating psilocybin for OCD launched by University of Arizona researchers but was temporarily halted in 2020 due to COVID-19 restrictions. The study is expected to ramp back up this spring as coronavirus restrictions begin to lift.

For the study, researchers will analyze questionnaires and brain scans of participants under varying doses of psilocybin to gain greater insight into changes in the brain and subjective psychedelic experience the medicine provokes. Participants will also be followed for up to six months to after their last dose of psilocybin to determine if there are continued improvements in OCD symptoms.

A second, larger study by Yale University researchers has resumed recruitment after a nine-month pause due to COVID-19. That study, which will involve 30 participants with OCD receiving a single high-dose of psilocybin, is expected to be completed by early 2022.

Another study exploring psilocybin as a treatment for OCD is currently underway at the Imperial College London’s Centre for Psychedelic Research. It involves administering moderate doses of psilocybin that are too low to provoke a psychedelic experience, as well as psychotherapy intervention following psilocybin treatment.

Results from these studies could lead to the approval of psilocybin for OCD, and provide a new treatment option for people living with OCD.

Psilocybin and OCD

An interview with Dr. Francisco Moreno and Dr. Brian Bayze

College of Medicine, The University of Arizona | 3 Feb 2020

Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) is a psychiatric disorder in which people have obsessive thoughts and fears that cause them to act compulsively. Due to its unique symptoms, the stigma associated with OCD can make it difficult for people to be open about their diagnosis and ask for help. However, recent research by Dr. Francisco Moreno, Professor of Psychiatry at the University of Arizona, and his team, is emphasizing a new way to manage the symptoms of OCD, with the use of psilocybin.

1. How can OCD effect an adult’s day to day life?

OCD is a common and often debilitating mental health disorder characterized by recurring unwanted thoughts/images/urges that often result in compensatory repetitive compulsive behaviors. Obsessions and compulsions are many times senseless and distressing. Their daily impact can be severely burdensome and often results in significant interpersonal, psychosocial, and occupational impairments. Individuals may have extreme difficulty with day-to-day tasks including leaving their home, driving, grocery shopping, interacting with others, or meeting familial or vocational demands. In turn, individuals with OCD often describe comorbid symptoms of depression and may be at an increased risk of suicide. Current approaches to treatment, usually including a specific form of cognitive-behavioral therapy known as Exposure Response Prevention, and or serotonin reuptake inhibiting (SRI) drugs, although helpful, rarely provide full relief of symptoms.

2. What is psilocybin?

Psilocybin is a naturally occurring psychedelic (meaning mind-manifesting) compound that is produced by over 200 different species of “magic” mushroom, most within the genus Psilocybe. Anthropological research indicates that these mushrooms have been used by several indigenous cultures and societies for millennia. Psilocybin is chemically and structurally very similar to our own neurotransmitter, Serotonin, and interacts with the same receptors in the body and brain. When consumed in high doses—either in the form of mushrooms or as purely synthetic—psilocybin is capable of manifesting deeply altered states of consciousness. These experiences often include changes in broad aspects of sensation/perception, heightened emotional awareness, visual/auditory phenomena, and altered perceptions of self, identity, and reality. Some individuals may describe components of a “Mystical Experience” characterized by an often ineffable sense of boundless unity, an expansive sense of awe, feelings of immense gratitude, and transcendence of time and space. Recent research has shown that individuals often rate such an experience as one of the most meaningful events of their lives, similar in significance to the birth of a child or death of a parent. At times these experiences can be anxiety provoking and significantly uncomfortable for those consuming the drug. The mindset and setting in which the drug is utilized is believed to impact the type of experience people have.

3. Has psilocybin been prescribed for a mental health diagnosis?

Psilocybin has never been “prescribed” for a mental health condition, per se. However, in the 1950s and 1960s, a number of early research studies suggested that psilocybin (and similar compounds) was safe and may have broad potential therapeutic benefits on a number of mental health conditions, including depression and addiction. More recent research with psilocybin has shown similar broad therapeutic potential, but it is obvious that any clinical application requires well-designed extensive clinical research trials. Early preliminary clinical research with psilocybin has shown promising beneficial effects on OCD, major depression, and the anxiety/depression associated with terminal illness. The FDA has granted “breakthrough therapy” designation for psilocybin in both treatment-resistant depression as well as major depressive disorder. A breakthrough therapy designation is for a drug that treats a serious or life-threatening condition and preliminary clinical evidence indicates that the drug may demonstrate substantial improvement on clinically significant outcomes over available therapies. Ongoing and future clinical trials will further evaluate psilocybin’s therapeutic potential in treating these and other indications.

4. How can psilocybin ease OCD symptoms?

There are multiple potential mechanisms by which treatment with psilocybin may help with the symptoms of OCD. Psilocybin interacts with different serotonin receptors in the brain, including those which seem to regulate certain brain regions of individuals with OCD. Treatment with multiple doses of psilocybin may change the binding activity of serotonin receptors such that symptoms are reduced. Psilocybin may also alleviate concerns with doubt and rumination, these are key elements underlying obsessions which may be measured through assessment of a specific brainwave pattern—known as error related negativity (ERN)—that increased in individuals with symptomatic OCD. Recent research has shown that psilocybin alters functional connectivity between and within different brain regions. One particular network of brain structures known as the Default Mode Network (DMN) is highly involved in self-referential thinking and has been shown to have increased connectivity and activity in individuals with OCD. Treatment with psilocybin may dramatically change and reset functional connectivity with DMN structures leading to reduced OCD symptoms. Psychological openness observed in the context of a psychedelic experience has been studied extensively and it is believed to facilitate the development of insights and attitudes that often are sought through the psychotherapy process. Finally, subjective transformative experiences—including, perhaps a “Mystical Experience”—within the psychedelic experience itself may contribute to improved wellness, decreased stress, and improved OCD symptoms. Risks may exist also with the use of psilocybin and other psychedelic agents, which may complicate the mental health of individuals. Hence, it is important to ensure that screening limits the risk to individuals considered at risk for complications.

5. What do you want our society to know about your study of using psilocybin to help with an OCD diagnosis?

It is not often in the field of psychiatry that we find a treatment that may immediately and significantly change an individual’s symptoms that have been present for years. Treatment with psilocybin, when done in an interpersonally supportive setting with a well-prepared individual, is not only safe but may result in rapid and significant reductions in overall OCD symptoms and a general improvement in overall quality of life. Psilocybin represents a paradigm shift in the treatment approach to OCD as well as other mental health conditions including depression and addiction. If psilocybin shows to be safe and effective in current trials, it may advance our ability to develop new therapies to best serve people suffering from OCD.

can-psychedelics-treat-obsessive-compulsive-disorder

Ketamine vs. Psilocybin for OCD

by Natalie Saunders, B.A., LicAc & Lynn Marie Morski, MD, Esq.

Obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD) can significantly impact an individual’s quality of life. It can cause intrusive thoughts, mental images, and urges, leading to anxiety and compulsive behavior in an attempt to gain relief.

Currently, OCD treatment usually involves selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor antidepressants (SSRIs) and cognitive-behavioral therapy (CBT). Unfortunately, SSRIs can take 8–12 weeks to start working, and some people do not respond to them at all.

Researchers are now investigating alternatives, including ketamine and psilocybin for OCD. This article explores the pros and cons of these novel treatments and whether clinical evidence supports their use.

Can psychedelics treat OCD?

There is a growing body of evidence suggesting that psychedelics could improve mental health and assist in treating specific disorders.

For instance, psilocybin (the psychoactive compound in magic mushrooms) has proven beneficial for various psychiatric conditions.

However, research into psilocybin and OCD is in its infancy. There is currently less evidence to support its use than there is for depression, anxiety, and addictions, for example. That said, a handful of case reports and small-scale trials suggest it may be helpful. We will discuss these in detail below.

Other psychedelics, such as ketamine may also provide some relief. Once again, though, there is less evidence regarding ketamine and OCD than many other conditions.

The advantage that these drugs have over SSRIs is that they are much faster-acting. In some cases, patients experience relief almost immediately. They may also help patients who have not responded to traditional treatment methods.

Of course, there are some downsides to consider too. Let’s take a closer look at how psilocybin and ketamine work for OCD and some of their pros and cons.

How can psilocybin help OCD?

There is not much existing research on OCD and psilocybin therapy. However, limited anecdotal and clinical evidence suggests that it might help.

One 2014 case study discussed how psilocybin improved OCD symptoms in a 38-year-old male. After taking magic mushrooms, he experienced an immediate increase in anxiety. However, the next day, his intrusive thoughts were significantly reduced. He subsequently noted that every time he used mushrooms, his OCD symptoms reduced for approximately three weeks.
Study results showed that all participants experienced decreased OCD symptoms during one or more psilocybin sessions.

A 2006 study included nine participants who took four different psilocybin doses, with testing days at least one week apart. The results showed that all participants experienced decreased OCD symptoms during one or more sessions. Improvements generally lasted over 24 hours, with two subjects reporting symptom reduction for most of the following week. Moreover, one participant achieved long-term remission (over six months) after four doses.

Mechanism of action

Psilocybin’s effects are primarily due to its ability to bind with serotonin receptors in the brain.

Specifically, it activates 5HT1A, 5HT2A, and 5HT2C receptors, with a greater affinity for 5HT2A.

Many experts believe that dysfunction in the serotonin system is responsible for the development of OCD. However, research into the impact of specific receptors has yielded inconsistent results.

For example, a 2013 study found that 5HT2C, but not 5HT2A, agonist treatment reduced symptoms in an animal model of OCD. But later research from 2015 suggested that neither receptor was implicated in reducing compulsive checking in rats.

Therefore, the mechanism responsible for psilocybin’s impact on OCD is likely to be more complex than simply stimulating serotonin receptors. It seems that other neurotransmitters, including dopamine and glutamate, may also be involved.

Psilocybin also disrupts systems such as the default mode network (DMN), which is involved in self-referential thinking. This disruption could have a ripple effect on the cortico-striatal-thalamic-cortical (CSTC) circuit, which is responsible for forming habits. Perhaps unsurprisingly, dysfunction in the CSTC has been implicated in the development of OCD.

Overall, it appears that psilocybin can alter neural networks in the brain, leading to increased cognitive flexibility. Cognitive flexibility is the ability to adjust or stop specific behaviors to optimize outcomes, a feature that could be highly beneficial in OCD.

Pros and cons of psilocybin for OCD

Pros:
  • Rapidly alleviates OCD symptoms​
  • It may be successful in patients who have not responded to traditional antidepressants​
  • Long-term remission is possible with repeated dosing​
  • Relatively good safety profile when used in a therapeutic setting​
  • Side effects are usually mild and transient​
Cons:
  • There is a lack of clinical evidence regarding psilocybin and OCD​
  • Psilocybin is illegal in most places, although there is a growing trend toward decriminalization
  • Psilocybin can temporarily increase anxiety and may exacerbate conditions such as psychosis​
Ketamine for OCD

Ketamine is another psychedelic that scientists are currently exploring as a treatment for psychiatric disorders.

The drug is best known as an anesthetic, although low-dose ketamine infusions have a range of other possible applications. Much of the research has focused on treatment-resistant depression. However, there is some evidence that ketamine could also help with OCD.

A 2013 study tested the effects of a single dose on 15 participants with OCD. The researchers administered two 40-minute infusions of either ketamine or saline one week apart. After the ketamine, they displayed significant symptom improvements compared to placebo. These improvements lasted up to one week in 50% of the subjects.

Mechanism of action

Ketamine’s primary mechanism of action involves blocking N-methyl-D-aspartate (NMDA) receptors. These receptors usually bind with the excitatory neurotransmitter glutamate.

When ketamine blocks NMDA receptors, glutamate concentrations in the brain increase. This increase could promote the alteration of neural networks, leading to mood and behavioral changes.
An increase in glutamate concentrations could promote the alteration of neural networks, leading to mood and behavioral changes.

However, ketamine has complex pharmacology and also acts upon various other receptor sites. Therefore, precisely how it impacts OCD is still under investigation.

Pros and cons of ketamine infusions for OCD

Pros:
  • Rapidly alleviates OCD symptoms​
  • Acts upon many different receptor sites, potentially increasing its efficacy​
  • It may be successful in patients who have not responded to traditional antidepressants​
  • Ketamine clinics are opening across the USA, increasing accessibility​
Cons:
  • There is currently little clinical evidence regarding ketamine and OCD​
  • Insurance does not usually cover ketamine-infusion therapy, and it can be expensive​
  • Regular use of high doses can cause complications, including bladder problems and cognitive impairment​
  • It is possible to develop ketamine dependence with repeated use, although this is more likely in uncontrolled, recreational settings​
Final thoughts

Current treatments for OCD have left many patients dissatisfied and seeking alternatives. Psychedelics could potentially offer some hope.

Although more research is necessary, initial studies on psilocybin and ketamine have produced promising results. However, most psychedelic drugs remain illegal. There are a few exceptions, and ketamine clinics, in particular, are becoming more widespread.

Before trying psilocybin or ketamine for OCD, check the laws in your area to find out what options are available. And always seek guidance from a qualified professional before using psychedelics to treat any medical condition.

Last edited: