Mental Health occasional use of Mirtazapine

Neuroprotection

Bluelighter
Mirtazapine is interesting in my opinion for several reasons:
1 It is said to be a powerful sedative, rapidly induceing sleep and maintaining it for several hours at low doses. This action is due to its strong blockade of Histamine receptors.
2 Mirtazapine blocks 5HT2A receptors, this is why it is said to be able to reverse the effects of LSD and other classical Hallucinogens.This 5HT2A antagonism may also contribute to its sedative affects.

I want to know if this medication could help me in certain situations. Don’t worry, I won’t take your comments as medical advice, Just to get a feel for the substance.
When traveling by car, I feel very sick, but don’t throw up.If traveling on a journey for longer than about 6 hours, which in my case is very rare, would it be appropriate to use mirtazapine to reduce suffering and let me sleep through the journey.
Finally, I hate traveling by plane, I get very stressed on long flights mainly when my movement is restricted. I also get no sleep at all and this makes me extremely irritable, down and somewhat sad. Could Mirtazapine be used to alleviate this stress and help me sleep.

Last edited:
Forum user your reasoning sounds correct. I have never heard of it being prescribed for anything other than sleep/anti-depressant properties.

Here is a simpler suggestion, this won't be as strong but will work as a minor sedative and can even induce sleep. Have you heard of Benadryl the anti-histamine? This is OTC, and cheap. It might be a little safer too. Just to be on the safe side of things. Over time consistent Mirtazapine use can lead to its side effects, one of them being depression. I don't know how frequently you plan on using the drug.

So think it through.

For anti-nausea, 5-HT3 antagonists will work best, and Mirtazapine is a 5-HT3 antagonist. The stronger one that I know of is Ondanestron, I believe it is fairly selective for 5-HT3. There is also a motion sickness OTC called Dramamine.

Sounds like a benzodiazepine might help on flights and such, they are classically used for that anyways.