• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Obama confused about power to reschedule marijuana, advocates say

Bluelight Crew
http://www.usnews.com/news/articles...d-about-power-to-reschedule-pot-advocates-say

President Barack Obama said Thursday it's not his administration's job to reschedule marijuana, but supporters of rescinding the drug's federal classification as one of the most dangerous narcotics say the president is confused and should act immediately.

"What is and isn't a Schedule I narcotic is a job for Congress," Obama told Jake Tapper of CNN. "It's not something by ourselves that we start changing. No, there are laws under – undergirding those determinations."

Marijuana advocates point to the U.S. Code and say that's not entirely accurate.

The 1970 Controlled Substances Act, which created five tiers of restricted drugs, says the attorney general may "remove any drug or other substance from the schedules if he finds that the drug or other substance does not meet the requirements for inclusion in any schedule."

If a substance is banned by international treaties – as marijuana is – the law grants the attorney general the power to place it "under the schedule he deems most appropriate."

[READ: Kofi Annan Urges 'Rising Up' Against Drug Prohibition]

Rep. Earl Blumenauer, D-Ore., tells U.S. News it's "very clear" that the law "actually permits reclassification administratively."

"I don't dispute that Congress could and should make the change, but it's also something the administration could do in a matter of days and I hope they will consider it," says Blumenauer, who is currently circulating a letter among colleagues asking Obama to do so. Eight members of Congress have signed the letter so far.

Schedule I drugs are deemed to have a high potential for abuse and no accepted medical value.

Blumenauer says it's clear marijuana doesn't belong in the highest schedule alongside heroin and LSD. He says it does have accepted medical value in 20 states and Washington, D.C., where its use for certain conditions is permitted, and that it's relatively safe compared to other drugs – notably cocaine and methamphetamine, which are ranked Schedule II.

Among the benefits of rescheduling pot, Blumenauer says, is easing banking restrictions for state-permitted recreational and medical marijuana shops, which mainly deal in cash because banks fearing federal penalties refuse their business.

The story continues: http://www.usnews.com/news/articles...d-about-power-to-reschedule-pot-advocates-say

Heroin and LSD have medical uses too. The whole idea of "Schedule I" in the U.S. is ridiculous. Almost all drugs that people enjoy taking are useful in some sort of medical context.

Come on O-man just one more executive order. You don't seem to mind writing them for other shit....

Heroin and LSD have medical uses too. The whole idea of "Schedule I" in the U.S. is ridiculous. Almost all drugs that people enjoy taking are useful in some sort of medical context.

It always strikes me as disgusting when cannabis advocates talk shit about LSD. I stopped reading this article after seeing that quotation.

I undertand the guy's just a politician and not a pharmacologist, but it depresses me that he gets to write drug law despite being naive.

Come on O-man just one more executive order. You don't seem to mind writing them for other shit....

Yeah, just last week he was singing, "I've got a pen and I've got a phone, baby," but I suspect he's just been doodling and looking up YouTube videos.

Not that it's right how he plans to overstep his position to get things done. His track record on just about everything has been horrible, and we certainly don't need any sort of dictator calling the shots.

The 1970 Controlled Substances Act, which created five tiers of restricted drugs, says the attorney general may "remove any drug or other substance from the schedules if he finds that the drug or other substance does not meet the requirements for inclusion in any schedule."

Ah, so that's why we aren't seeing any justice. That "may" should have been a "must" :\

They have a hundred-something page monograph on why weed needs to remain illegal, complete with many many many references. They're all in. The only way to change it without a coup is to elect someone who truly cares about freedom.

Honestly though that's who Obama was in 2008, but he was promptly replaced with a marionette. I mean that literally.

It always strikes me as disgusting when cannabis advocates talk shit about LSD. I stopped reading this article after seeing that quotation.

I undertand the guy's just a politician and not a pharmacologist, but it depresses me that he gets to write drug law despite being naive.

I agree, but LSD is one of those things that has a huge (unwarranted) stigma, even moreso than cannabis. As much as I believe in the radical potential of LSD it'll be a long time before I can buy lab-tested doses along with my medical cannabis... Or am even allowed to use LSD with a licensed psychotherapist... We'll probably see heroin maintenance programs in this country before legal LSD.

At least MSM outlets are started to get on the board that drug prohibition is totally unjust, and the current status quo is being maintained BY CHOICE by those in power, even as Obama makes wishy-washy statements about his commitment to ongoing widespread human rights violations in the course of exercising these laws...

Edit: ^^I think that 100pg report probably just says "New Jim Crow" over and over in pseudo-scientific political jargon.

Trying to find that document. They brought out when a judge was considering downscheduling it last year.

The legislation says "no accepted medical value"

Meaning the medicinal value pot and LSD is unacceptable. 8)

^Yup. 100%.

Wasn't there a Bill Hicks routine about that? How psychedelics are illegal not because there's no uses, but because their use causes you to see the government and society as what it truly is: repressive and unnecessary.

^Yup. 100%.

Wasn't there a Bill Hicks routine about that? How psychedelics are illegal not because there's no uses, but because their use causes you to see the government and society as what it truly is: repressive and unnecessary.
Why is society unnecessary?

Hasn't he made less of those than previous presidents?

Who cares how many executive orders a man wrote. The impact and reasons of the orders are important. He could be making lots of minor changes to the law for all I know.

Last edited: