Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

[NZ] Child's hair tests positive for P

thestudent14

Bluelighter
Originally posted from poledriver
[NZ] Child's hair tests positive for P

Photo / Supplied
A mother high on P was found breastfeeding her baby by police conducting a series of raids as part of a month-long campaign against methamphetamine trafficking.

Police say an alarming number of children are being discovered in drug houses across Waikato and the mother in this case appeared oblivious to the risk she posed to her baby.

Paediatric experts warn babies born in methamphetamine environments could face problems in development for years to come.

Methamphetamine crosses into breast milk in large doses while pregnant women who get high on P risk their babies dying or being disabled.

Waikato District Health Board nursing and midwifery director Sue Hayward said the use of amphetamines in pregnancy was associated with abnormalities in babies such as cleft lip while amphetamine-using mothers often suffered from high blood pressure.

"Babies born to these mothers are at high risk of dying and if they survive they are growth restricted (retarded) and the surviving babies' ability to grow is hampered for life."

Of the 32 properties police searched in the latest police operation, six contained children.

That is on top of the 47 children found at 19 labs around the country this year.

More than 300 children nationwide have been found living in clan labs over the past four years, according to figures released to the Weekend Herald.

Other horrifying finds in the month-long Waikato operation included:

* meth bag and pipe next to baby formula in the kitchen;
* methamphetamine traces in the cot of a one year old;
* methamphetamine traces in the hair of the baby and an older sibling, which showed the children had been exposed to the toxic drug for at least six months; and
* two children, including one with special needs who required regular treatment, living in a P house.

Assistant Police Commissioner Malcolm Burgess said the number of children found in clan labs gave police serious concern, as the dangers and risks from being exposed to a clan lab were enormous - chemical poisoning, chemical burns, fires and explosions. Many of the combustible chemicals used in cooking P were fatal if swallowed.

Detective Inspector Chris Page, who led the month-long operation in the Waikato said the district-wide November sting indicated the number of children exposed to drugs and dealing continued to rise.

"It's not just the risk of fire, explosion or exposure to toxic and potentially carcinogenic chemicals that can put children at risk," he said.

"There is also the psychological ill-effects of being exposed to people involved in organised crime with its inherently destructive nature involving weapons and violence.

"The attitudes and values of these people are a far cry from what can be described as acceptable environments for children to live in."

Police recovered up to 10 grams of methamphetamine, more than $10,000 in cash, four firearms and two stun guns, $34,500 worth of stolen property including several laptops and a $20,000 car.

Older children were also found. At a house in Huntly police arrested a 16-year-old and two adults where Mr Page said the teenager had been exposed to a lifetime of drug dealing and crime.

"The disappointing thing was that essentially the child had been brought up in an environment where drug dealing was considered acceptable and the child's observations could essentially have been their apprenticeship.

"While we're very pleased to be able to catch and prosecute drug dealers it's tainted significantly by the finding of children in the condition they're in, in these houses."

It was the first time in his 27 years on the force Mr Page had encountered a mother breastfeeding while she was high.

Police arrested 22 people including 18 who were charged for Class A drug (methamphetamine) dealing and two for manufacturing.

By Natalie Akoorie | Email Natalie

I know this is in the drug bust thread, I just thought this was worthy of being posted somewhere else, as I was unaware that using speed and breast feeding could be potentially dangerous for the baby for future years.
I don't know how accurate this is, but I just wanted to warn all you bluelighters, best not to take any chances with your children.

I was speaking to someone who looks after their friend's child from time to time recently, both the parents have very busy lifestyles and are meth users. Most other aspects of their lives are what one would call "normal". However, it would seem, and the parents and the carer have come to this conclusion, that because there are no regular 'mealtimes' and there is no social rituals involved with the eating routine, the child, (about 18 months, I think, may be wrong), really seems to be developing an eating disorder.. or more so, has no interest in the ritualistic side of eating and seems to place no importance on it. (I know that the child has no exposure to the drug, the parents have been very careful about that.
So it would seem, that it may not just be the actual usage of the chem that affects the kiddies, but possibly the disruption to social conditioning that also could be a factor worth considering if you are using or considering using drugs around young uns... I would be interested if there are any studies in this area... it may well be an outlyer, or another reason completely.

^ Methamphetamine has a long half-life in the body, and it wouldn't take much to have an effect in an infant. How sure are they that her milk is free of methamphetamine before she breastfeeds?

This story disgusts me. There is no place for a child in a meth lab, for fucks sake.

lol - child services would take those kids if they knew about that sitcho! ^ ^

^^ no she isn't breastfeeding, and the child is isolated from any physical contact from the drug... the point i was making is the social impact of infant rearing, while remaining a substance user...shit, maybe this go to the woman's weekly dept :p

^ Sorry, no you did make an interesting post there and raise an interesting point about psychosocial effects children in these situations could possibly be experiencing. I should have asked if she was breastfeeding instead of just assuming; I've seen a child who had suffered greatly from being exposed to the drugs put into the mother's body, and the article just made me angry as children and babies should never be exposed to those kind of hazards.

^ Yeah it is horrible, it reminds me of that doco on 4 corners was it? Called Ice Age and some chick who was preggers and wasnt giving up her meth. There must be quite a few meth babies being born here. I remember reading something about the crack addicted babies in America a while ago.

At the same time though I have a fuck load of resentment for this ridiculous police attitude.

"We were just shocked to find these attrocities, we were shocked to see all this"

If it weren't illegal you wouldn't have useless fiends cooking it up around their kids in the first place. Instead they'd be getting the help they need, and it's like they think the solution is confiscating all the users belongings and money.

It just shocks me that at no point no one in the media, or the Government, seem to realise they've been publishing the same fucking story for years:

"People on drugs, shits fucked, took all their stuff, sent them to the overcrowded prison system and yes, we're still after all this time shocked that it's rampant and nothing is changing."

What it comes down to is responsibility. The people who created this system need to grow some balls, suck it up, admit this war on drugs has just made everything worse and that they were wrong, instead of acting like it's a big fucking surprise that there are all these methamphetamine addicts aren't taking care of their children. This goes same for the parents, you have a kid, you take responsibility.