Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

NYT: LSD-Like Drugs Are Out of the Haze and Back in the Labs

neversickanymore

Moderator: DS
Staff member
LSD-Like Drugs Are Out of the Haze and Back in the Labs
By CLYDE HABERMAN MAY 15, 2016

At respected research centers in the United States and other countries, scientists have spent much of their professional lives in drug rehabilitation. It is not because they themselves struggle with addiction. What they are trying to rehabilitate are the drugs.

Their focus is on mind-altering compounds that fell far from grace nearly half a century ago, LSD prominent among them. Along with other psychedelics, it was outlawed by the federal government, damned as bearing a high potential for abuse and offering no accepted medical benefit. But in recent years, researchers have sought to rescue hallucinogens from exile by examining their efficacy in treating certain disorders of the mind, and perhaps even in understanding the nature of consciousness and spirituality.

The work of these scientists now draws the attention of Retro Report, a series of video documentaries that examine major news stories of the past and their enduring significance.

Psychoactive substances, often derived from mushrooms, have been part of human cultures from Central and South America to the Sahara for thousands of years. But there is no need to look that far back; 1938 will do. That was when Albert Hofmann, a Swiss chemist searching for a drug to combat circulatory ailments, happened to synthesize lysergic acid diethylamide: LSD or, more familiarly, acid.

Five years later, Dr. Hofmann, who died in 2008 at age 102, accidentally ingested a small dose of his creation and discovered its mind-blowing potential as he embarked on the first known acid trip. Many more such journeys would follow, for him and for countless others.

In the 1950s and ’60s, researchers assiduously explored LSD as a tool for treating mental illness and various addictions. Segments of the United States government had ideas of their own. The Central Intelligence Agency tested the drug’s possibilities as a truth serum or perhaps a vehicle for mind control. The Army wanted to learn if LSD might be a way to disorient enemy soldiers.

Then came the dawning of what many think of when the ’60s come to mind: the Age of Aquarius, with hippies and love-ins, tie dye clothes and granny glasses, “feed your head” and “a girl with kaleidoscope eyes.” LSD was in ample supply. Many young people convinced themselves that an entire society on psychedelics could reach a higher consciousness — “mystic crystal revelation and the mind’s true liberation,” to borrow from the rock musical “Hair.”

More than a few were influenced by Timothy Leary, a former clinical psychologist at Harvard University who made himself the Thomas Cook of acid trips, preaching the hallucinogen gospel. “Turn on, tune in, drop out,” Mr. Leary, who died in 1996, used to say. The admonition was endlessly quoted. His fervent disciples followed it to the letter and, often, to excess.

Among those whose field was the study of the human mind, a widely held view was that Mr. Leary had gone off the deep end, giving their science a bad name in the process. Political concerns ran even deeper. Elected officials from the president on down feared that the youths of America were skidding anarchically toward a druggie cliff.

Stories abounded about suicides, murders and other horrors committed by young people soaring googly-eyed on LSD or having acid flashbacks. Not all of the tales proved to be true. Nonetheless, the federal authorities concluded that there was enough dangerous behavior for them to crack down.

Prohibitions against LSD and brethren hallucinogens, like psilocybin and mescaline, were codified in the Controlled Substances Act of 1970. In the 1980s, ecstasy — MDMA, short for 3,4-methylenedioxymethamphetamine — joined the list of Schedule 1 controlled substances, those deemed the most perilous.

Soon enough, serious scientific exploration of psychedelics dried up. Any dabbling in LSD, which Dr. Hofmann came to call his “problem child,” was called a career killer by many experimenters.

In recent years, though, mind-bending drugs have begun tiptoeing back into the research mainstream.

Essentially, modern scientists are picking up where their forerunners of the ’50s and ’60s left off. They are studying hallucinogens’ potential to help smokers kick the habit, to undo addictions to drugs and alcohol, to cope with cluster headaches and depression, and to deal with obsessive-compulsive and post-traumatic stress disorders. Institutions where such work is underway include New York University; Johns Hopkins University; the University of California, Los Angeles; Psychiatric University Hospital in Zurich; and Imperial College in London.

American research interest in psilocybin is especially keen. This is a psychoactive ingredient in the fungus family known as magic mushrooms. It helps that psilocybin carries little of the baggage that still burdens LSD, said Matthew W. Johnson, a professor of psychiatry and behavioral science at Johns Hopkins.

It may also help that scientists toil in a new environment for certain drugs. Marijuana, for instance, is a Schedule 1 substance. Yet it now has the legal blessing of some states.

Psilocybin and other hallucinogens, while not addictive, remain officially taboo everywhere. Researchers need a dispensation from the Food and Drug Administration, a licensing from the Drug Enforcement Administration and the approval of professional boards. If anything, today’s scientists want to be seen as the anti-Learys. Their experiments bear no resemblance to the freestyle acid-dropping of the ’60s. Patients are screened and prepped on what they may expect, and then closely monitored.

Given that death awaits us all, one intriguing pursuit is the use of psychedelics to alleviate deep anxiety — existential distress, some call it — in those for whom the end seems near. They are people like Sherry Marcy, a woman from Ann Arbor, Mich., who learned she had advanced endometrial cancer.

She succumbed to depression. Four years ago, Ms. Marcy, now 73, went to Johns Hopkins for two rounds of psilocybin treatment. The lift she received continues to sustain her.

“It wasn’t like it was psychedelic for me,” she said in an interview with Retro Report. “It just was me — back. I don’t know how it did that, exactly, except to broaden out. You know, it’s like you lift up your head and you take a good long look, and you start seeing things again.”

Scientists, too, are trying to figure out exactly how the drug helps ease despair. Nonetheless, they have observed lasting positive results, even spiritual awakenings, in some cases. If carefully administered, they say, hallucinogens can reorient patients’ perceptions of their place in the universe and pull them out of ruts of negative thinking. In a 2015 article in The New Yorker, a British researcher, Robin Carhart-Harris, likened the phenomenon to “shaking the snow globe.”

Studies have generally been on a small scale, and the results, while encouraging, are preliminary. Caution is required, Dr. Johnson of Johns Hopkins told Retro Report, for scientific rigor and because “there are potential dangers.”

Even so, Ms. Marcy, who is now free of cancer, says Timothy Leary got it one-third right. “The ‘turn on’ doesn’t have to be emphasized at all,” she said. “The ‘drop out’ is an absolute mistake. But the ‘tune in’ is crucial.”

continued with video http://www.nytimes.com/2016/05/16/u...ut-of-the-haze-and-back-in-the-labs.html?_r=0

plenty of names mentioned about the people that did "research" (if you can even call it that) sixty years ago.

not a single name mentioned of current day researchers. the people doing this stuff really deserve more attention than crack pots like leary

plenty of names mentioned about the people that did "research" (if you can even call it that) sixty years ago.

not a single name mentioned of current day researchers. the people doing this stuff really deserve more attention than crack pots like leary

Agreed. But I find people like Leary, the McKenna brothers and their spouses, and Rick Doblin to be crackpots. Dr. Hoffmann was an excellent researcher though.

Out of the haze and into the sheets!

Damn dude, clean the sand out of your vagina.

You can absolutely call it research because it was done to the same standards they do research today...

This is an excellent article (and especially video) which present the history of psychedelics, particularly LSD, in a way that's not sensationalist and negative. Plus it's the New York Times for chrissakes.

Why do you think the McKenna brothers and Doblin to be "crackpots?"

I for one dont really follow Terrence Mckennas ideas yet I have had them endlessly explained to me after providing DMT to people on paths at festivals (like 5 years ago). As they are not mainstream ideas that were given to me endlessly by people appearing less then sane in the woods I wouldnt give them the title "crack pot" as I believe some of what Freud did for psychology and I've had professors be less then kind to his advancements, but yeah that stuff along with Leary I dont think id ever believe myself.

They would all try to get me into their ideas at times endlessly and id be like "dude just into science just doing the project for the science, not into all the stuff that people come up with when they take compounds..." Good times, as I said long in the past now...

Agreed. But I find people like Leary, the McKenna brothers and their spouses, and Rick Doblin to be crackpots. Dr. Hoffmann was an excellent researcher though.

Ahh, the old the old anti-psychedelic visionary tirade. The United States government propaganda began demonizing influential psychedelic users 50 years ago and this happens ever since.

This is my favorite example I have found on the net:
Wikipedia said:
President Richard Nixon once described Leary as "the most dangerous man in America"

LOL

The problem is, in general, this propaganda is perpetuated and the uneducated accidentally repeat misinformation without realizing the source was government propaganda. I am glad these conversations happen. This increases the visibility of these controversial psychedelic heroes and gives others a chance they could research and reach an opinion of their own.

Look at Rick Doblin as an example. Doblin, Leary, and the McKennas are all admirable. Doblin is the most admirable. Doblin put himself through college receiving a degree from New College, a degree from Harvard, and another masters degree from Harvard. Doblin did this while raising a family and creating MAPS. Doblin's work with MAPS has invested 10's of millions of dollars in psychedelic research. Doblin's not-for-profit MAPS is a few years aways from completely legalizing MDMA in psychotherapy. Frankly, none of the modern revival of psychedelic research could have happened without Doblin and MAPS.

The other men are also admirable. Research them and learn. Erowid has excellent resources available here.

Rick Doblin

Timothy Learry

Dennis McKenna

Terence McKenna