• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

NYC's Bloomberg wants cigarettes out of sight

slimvictor

Bluelight Crew
Just days after a judge rejected Mayor Bloomberg's proposal to ban sales of big soft drinks in New York City, he's now proposing to ban public display of cigarettes for sale.

If New York Mayor Bloomberg has his way, it could be even harder to find a pack of cigarettes in New York City than it is to find an available cab.

Bloomberg proposed legislation on Monday that would ban all stores from publicly displaying tobacco products. This, from the same mayor whose proposed ban on large, sugary drinks was rejected last week by a judge.

Under the proposal, cigarettes and other tobacco products would have to be kept out of public view -- under counters or in drawers or even, yes, behind curtains. Some grocers and drugstore chains currently keep cigarettes out of sight, but that's typically to avoid theft.

"Even one new smoker is one too many," Bloomberg said at a media briefing on Monday.

The unprecedented move comes at a time when many consumers are increasingly receptive to better-for-you health proposals but increasingly skeptical of government actions to slap limits on personal habits. Bloomberg has a long history of supporting public health initiatives, and he's been a long-time critic of tobacco makers.

Even staunch anti-tobacco activists were taken by surprise — though, happily so — by the mayor's latest move.

"I am not aware of a city that has a similar law," says Chris Bostic, deputy director of policy at Action on Smoking & Health, a non-profit public health group. "But New York City is often on the cutting edge, and we need to think creatively to overcome the tragedy of death and disease caused by tobacco."

Bloomberg says other countries, including England, Canada, Iceland and Ireland, have had similar prohibitions on displays.

"Young people are the targets of marketing," Bloomberg says. "This legislation will help prevent another generation from ill health and shorter life expectancy that comes with smoking."

Smoking kills 7,000 New Yorkers every year, Bloomberg estimates. Nearly 450,000 people in the U.S. alone die annually from the effects of tobacco, Bostic says. By the end of the century, the effects of tobacco could kill 1 billion people worldwide, the World Health Organization has estimated.

The nation's largest tobacco company, Altria Group, parent to Philip Morris USA, which makes Marlboro, is firmly against the proposal.

cont at
http://www.usatoday.com/story/money...tes-mayor-michael-bloomberg-soda-ban/1997503/

really not a big deal.

so the ciggerrettes are out of view anyone who smokes already knows what pack they want. some one who doesnt smoke but wants to start is almost definatly going to get thier first smoke from a friends or family memember. everyone is still going to know the product is still there. ugh polotics

so the cigarettes are out of view anyone who smokes already knows what pack they want

That might happen in the near future, so the pack would be white, i already do stick with a single pouch until the color does wipe of.

(They have talked about the idea in the past)

Whats next? No smoking in any public places, aka cigs are not allowed to be seen (outside since indoors is already banned in many places including NYC)?

he's now proposing to ban public display of cigarettes for sale.

We have this here in Australia, it's law. All the shops had to take away their public displays and even advertising inside the shop and on the outside as well, like signs and ads on top of the shops that said they sold tobacco products.

Whats next? No smoking in any public places, aka cigs are not allowed to be seen (outside since indoors is already banned in many places including NYC)?

Certain places here are trying to implement this as well, a local council up here has tried to ban cigarettes from their CBD area, with only a few areas on the outer edges where you are allowed to smoke, it's not working very well afaik, the mayor was on tv and said something like 'well we are not going to actively enforce the ban, but we expect people to follow the rules'. lol

I can only hope. :D

500px-No_smoking_symbol.svg.png

it's shocking when a public official sees a real problem and actually does something about it

I always thought it was funny that stores here in NYC have to cover up magazines that display a beautiful naked women to protect the children yet are able to be giant advertisements for far more harmful things such as cigarettes.

I always thought it was funny that stores here in NYC have to cover up magazines that display a beautiful naked women to protect the children yet are able to be giant advertisements for far more harmful things such as cigarettes.

Interesting.

It's not going to make cigarettes unavailable, just eliminates then being on display. I understand they're very expensive as it is. Sure would help deter young people from smoking some. But don't they have other places for people to buy them? Like here you can buy them cheaper at the Indian reservation stores.

This already happens in Canada. Cigarette vendors are required to keep them on shelves with metal doors (which can lock) that obscure them from general view. When someone buy's a pack, the shelf door is opened and then closed again.

IMO this is pretty effective. I forget that cigarettes are even for sale until I see someone buying them.

^ Tobacco shops are allowed to display tobacco products openly, but that is because any customer inside is legally obligated to be of purchasing age, and under reasonable expectation to be looking to buy tobacco products. Not only are the displays mandatory in other stores, but the retailer can only open one shelf at a time.

Another instance of Bloomberg trying to set the standard. Not a bad idea in my opinion. The packaging can be 50% of the allure.

Hawaii has some pretty intense smoking laws. You can not smoke in public areas (have to be at least 20 feet away from windows and doors). It's strictly enforced. At the malls, smokers are forced in the parking lot. >.<

Well, in Quebec we are supposed to be nine meters away from public doors when we smoke. Never gets enforced really.