Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

NY Times, In Annual Speech, Vermont Governor Shifts Focus to Drug Abuse

neversickanymore

Moderator: DS
Staff member
NY Times, In Annual Speech, Vermont Governor Shifts Focus to Drug Abuse
By KATHARINE Q. SEELYEJAN. 8, 2014

MONTPELIER, Vt. — In a sign of how drastic the epidemic of drug addiction here has become, Gov. Peter Shumlin on Wednesday devoted his entire State of the State Message to what he said was “a full-blown heroin crisis” gripping Vermont.

" “In every corner of our state, heroin and opiate drug addiction threatens us,” he said. He said he wanted to reframe the public debate to encourage officials to respond to addiction as a chronic disease, with treatment and support, rather than with only punishment and incarceration.

“The time has come for us to stop quietly averting our eyes from the growing heroin addiction in our front yards,” Governor Shumlin said, “while we fear and fight treatment facilities in our backyards.”

Last year, he said, nearly twice as many people here died from heroin overdoses as the year before. Since 2000, Vermont has seen an increase of more than 770 percent in treatment for opiate addictions, up to 4,300 people in 2012.

RELATED COVERAGE

Theresa Dumond said she works as a prostitute to support her heroin habit. video Video: In Maine, a Growing Heroin MenaceJULY 19, 2013
Governor Shumlin, a Democrat now in his second term, used his State of the State Message last year to focus almost entirely on education. This year, he appears to be one of the first, if not the only, governor to use his message, all 34 minutes of it, to focus exclusively on drug addiction and detail its costs, in dollars and lives"

read more >> http://www.nytimes.com/2014/01/09/u...governor-shifts-focus-to-drug-abuse.html?_r=0

Well, every little bit helps.

Typical republicans.... "uhhh can you change the subject... because addicts don't deserve my precious time."

I do like Rand and Ron Paul however.

I'm assuming he is going to be arresting more addicts and not actually getting more people treatment.

I'm sure he's just talking about expanding drug court. A wiser strategy would be to expand access to suboxone and methadone. These can be a pain in the ass to get to in sparsely populated states. The Shirley Jackson neighborhoods often ban methadone clinics, and finding a DATA 2000 doctor outside of a major city can be challenging.

Call me a conspiracy junkie, but governments secretly love heroin or coke problems. Keep the people believing the "a drug is a drug" thing, and as long as there is destruction caused by bad drugs like heroin, the people are guaranteed to keep looking down on the good drugs like psychedelics as well. Because god-forbid the people eat some mushrooms and realise that their government isn't quite the loving father that they once thought it was and its power is suddently threatened...

Call me a conspiracy junkie, but governments secretly love heroin or coke problems. Keep the people believing the "a drug is a drug" thing, and as long as there is destruction caused by bad drugs like heroin, the people are guaranteed to keep looking down on the good drugs like psychedelics as well. Because god-forbid the people eat some mushrooms and realise that their government isn't quite the loving father that they once thought it was and its power is suddently threatened...

The government is retreating to the one thing that people are still afraid of: hard drugs. Don't be afraid America. We found out weed was harmless and made it legal this year. Heroin has its day too it just may be 30 years from now. LEGALIZE HEROIN!!!

Yes, because politicians are all unbiased evil-geniuses bent on preserving some ill-defined status quo, and not one of them shares the tiniest bit of cultural belief or moral values with broader society. Call me pessimistic, but I'm inclined to see that government policy caters to popular opinion (or at least to that of core constituent groups), and government policy also informs and reinforces entrenched opinions (it can subvert them as well, e.g. jim crow vs mandatory integration), not helped by the multi-billion dollar gov't agency and private industries whose raison d'être is enforcing prohibition.