• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Nutritional & Herbal Supplements for Anxiety!

Tussmann, if you are looking for unequivocal proof of 100% efficacy over benzodiazepines in a humongous study (n>100) of double blinded well educated humans, do the study your damn self.

Yeah and there's really no point in you looking at this sub-forum or much of anything to do with psychopharmacology if you don't view rat/mouse studies as substantive evidence.

Tussmann, if you are looking for unequivocal proof of 100% efficacy over benzodiazepines in a humongous study (n>100) of double blinded well educated humans, do the study your damn self.

I don't really see your witless protection here, Sekio.

Sorry, but there's no point in hoarding a continuous supply of magnesium, green tea, and fish oil in the hopes of relieving an anxiety disorder. One can easily obtain a monthly RX of a legitimate drug for half the cost ultimately yielding exponentially more efficacy. For example, a regimen of a low dose, quality SSRI (i.e. escitalopram) coupled with an as needed benzo. Frankly, there's no harm done when a relationship with these pharmaceuticals is conducted in a conservative manner. Oh yeah, and we sure as hell don't have to extrapolate data from rat studies to know they do their fucking job -- research into the millions of healthy individuals taking them daily should suffice.

IMO -- as well as those who don't like wasting their time and money -- other than phenibut and high dose taurine, OTC supplements don't really have the balls to topple anxiety. Also don't get me wrong, I take mg and fish oil, but definitely not for anxiety.

Your post misses a few key things...

No one is "hoarding" anything.

They are effective in scientific studies (which you apparently won't take into consideration) just as various drugs are. Maybe not a lot of research has gone into them, but hey, there is one giant plus, and that is these supplements (if you will) can do basically no harm to you if taken in great quantity. They have been consumed by people in large quantity safely for thousands of years too, unlike the benzodiazepines, which if I recall are only about half a century old as a class and certainly cause PAWS and other long-term complications when taken as prescribed. Regardless this is hardly the thread in which to preach pharmaceuticals.

No harm done my ass...

Haha do you know how much of psychiatry is based off of rats?

You have the right to your opinion, but your opinion is by no means specific to that group.

fish oil, mg and green tea?... Mind citing some studies for their effectiveness in anxiety types? Maybe you will find a few cortisol related issues with fish oil...

Regardless, you could cut a benzo into a microscopic amount and it would still do more for cost effectiveness, efficacy, and practicality.

Oh, and the scented candle the bath are for the most part psychological, but in all liklihood offering more psychological anxiolysis than all those supposive 'anxiety' supplements combined.

You don't have a clue what you're talking about. I have anxiety issues and magnesium and fish oil help a lot on their own. I don't drink any caffeinated beverages so I'm not sure about green tea. Magnesium has an immediate effect on anxiety and you would get a hell of a lot more long term from MG than from a benzo. Most people are deficient in it already and could use supplementation. You take it yourself so I don't see why you're going on about cost effectiveness. Fish oil takes quite a while to work but it's another thing that will improve your health anyway so why not. I noticed a difference after about a couple months of taking it daily. There's plenty of people that have noticed benefits from them.

Read this for the article and some citations:http://media.axon.es/pdf/81119_1.pdf

Fish oil apparently aids those abstaining from alcohol, so I'll give it credit. That really surprised me, study came out in the past week or so.

As far as magneisum and green tea -- they probably have some utility -- but I am not convinced they can serve as an actual treatment.