• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Nucynta and Klonopin-Can these be taken together?

Beans69

Greenlighter
I am a past "super anxiety" ridden person that is now dependent on Klonopin and also have a fear of any new medications. Over the past 10 years I have suffered from Fibromyalsia and tried everything non-opioid to find pain relief but nothing worked or I ended up with allergic reaction.

Yesterday my PCP wrote me a prescription for 50 mg Nucynta (2 pd), which is totally new to me. She is also my prescriber for the Klonopin, but when I read the enclosure info, it said "Do Not Take With Benzo's" which in my mind came off in one of those Far off ominous voice-overs.

I have taken oxycodone 7.5 mg with no ill effects along with my 1 mg pd Klonopin, if the 50 mg Nucynta has the same opioid reaction I would be fine with taking it.

Does anyone have experience with taking these two medications concurrently? Someone who does not use pain meds recreationally as I never allow myself to take anything for pain more than 3 days in a row unless the pain is a 9 or 10 lvl.

*worry wort and chicken about meds*=D

I was on clonazepam for eight and a half years and nucynta for about a year after darvon/Darvocet were pulled from the market. It's not ideal to mix opioids and benzos in general but I personally did not have an issue with that specific combo nor other combos of similar drugs. Most big pharmacies have systems in place that will alert to prevent "bad" combos so it's a good rule of thumb to fill at the same place and notify all prescribing doctors all meds you take.

To add a little to the above, which is absolutely correct, most pharmacies patient info is generated from huge databases that pretty much stick to what the official manufacturers labeling says. While generally good advice, it's usually more conservative than what either the pharmacy software or the pharmacist themselves are. Liability and all that.

Good morning beans69. First if you have a decent tolerance to Opiates and benzodiazepines you will be fine. The nucynta 50mg X 2 is stronger than the 7.5 mg oxycodone. I agree with Raysu and suggest contact your physician first and explain your situation. Now, keep taking your Clonazepam. The nucynta is not super strong but everyone is different. Your simply going to start at a lower dosage. Once you get used to that dose, with your Clonazepam, then you simply add your second dose. Now all this is has to be run by your doctor first. I simpily gave you the rundown. Calm down otherwise. Being stressed and anxious is a waste of time. PM me if you ever want to chat. Relaxxxxx Speed King

Thanks raysu, kittycat5 and Speed King! Like I said, I am a chicken about meds, but the reason I developed a phobia is, when I was 19, I watched my 21 year old sister have a brain aneurysm after taking an over-the-counter diet medicine. Ever since, we both have a fear of meds. I figured my Dr., who prescribed both medications, would be aware, but I also know things slip through the cracks and I didn't want to be one of those slips. It was the wee hours of the morning when I asked this, after holding that freaking bottle in my hand for two hours trying to get up the nerve to take one. Hubby will be home early tonight, so my plan is to take one an hour or two after a light dinner and pray for the best, especially since my pain has risen again to barely tolerable.

Thanks for all your info! I'll post my experience tomorrow. Will it be stronger, yet let me sleep? Sleep and pain do not go hand in hand and it's been almost a week since I've slept more than 3-4 hours a night.