• MDMA &
    Empathogenic
    Drugs

Welcome Guest!
  • MDMA Moderators:

Not enjoying weed high. Is MDMA a good idea?

dreamleech

Greenlighter
I'm really new here so forgive me if this is in the wrong spot or if i'm doing something wrong. Anyway my question is for the most part I haven't really enjoyed being high on weed, but think I might like mdma/ecstasy. I have anxiety and it has always made that worse. This sounds weird since i'm asking about something that's obviously more intense, but I think one of the big reason I didn't like it was because I just felt pointlessly foggy. Didn't feel happier or anything just my mind was distorted and that I never liked that. One time though I smoked some really good stuff (which was a strain known for being uplifting) and that made me extremely happy and me and some friends just walked around a mall and had a blast. That was one of the best times of my life. Obviously it's different for everyone, but based on what I said do you think i'd enjoy it and what are some other things maybe a beginner should be aware of before trying it? I'm leaning towards just going for it and not worrying, but I thought i'd ask some people who are experienced first.

liking weed and liking mdma are two completely seperate things. many people get anxiety from weed, but are fine with other drugs, even psychedelics.

of course there will be a, as erowid calls it, "general change on consciousness", but that's something you have with pretty much any psychoactive substance. pointlessly foggy certainly isn't a fitting description for the mdma high. you may have a horrible short term memory and your logical thinking will also be impeded (which is something i absolutely hate and the main reason why i don't drink alcohol), but ime on mdma you're just too happy to care and i find it rather funny than annoying.

things to be aware of are:
-overheating. do not dance wildly for hours on end in a hot club. regularly make pauses to cool down and drink some water.
-dehydration. again, same as above. drink sensible (not excessive!) amounts of water.
-quality. there's a lot of shit getting passed off as mdma. be sure to take your stuff to a testing center if available in your country and test it yourself using a test kit if that's not possible.
-don't do it more often than once every 2 months.
-do a sensible dose (1-2mg/kg body weight; that's assuming pure mdma) with one redose of half that amount if necessary.

for more detail have a look at the directory above which includes the mdma essential guide.

Ok I'll probably stick to a lower dosage for first time since I really don't smoke weed much, drink, or anything else so not only will I have no tolerance, but won't really be used to being intoxicated in general. I'm about 115 lbs or about 56 kg in metric so do you think roughly 50-60 mg would be good to get a good amount of effects? I read the guide and I know it's different for everyone, but what do you think I should expect in terms of... How "out of it" will I be? Will I be able to somewhat function and hold a conversation without sounding WAY out of it?

i think somewhere between 60-80mg would be a good dose. you probably won't feel much if you dose under 1mg/kg. when you don't yet know what to expect, many people don't notice anything except a slight mood lift and some slight enhancement of touch until you cross a certain threshold.

How "out of it" will I be? Will I be able to somewhat function and hold a conversation without sounding WAY out of it?
that's actually a difficult question. you'll certainly be more in control compared to alcohol, but at the same time it's extremely obvious that you're on drugs. doing mdma in a situation where you have to hide it from others is not a good idea.
you'll be able to do anything that doesn't require lots of abstract thought, focusing on tasks for a longer peroid of time or seeing things that are close up (pupil dilation and nystagmus makes reading text on a mobile phone a difficult endeavor).
it's not like being drunk where you might stumble or fall around and can't communicate your thoughts properly. it's also not like psychedelics, where you might forget how to order a drink or how a cd-player works (but due to impaired vision at a close range you might mix up coins or not be able to read the display).
i've had interesting conversations with rolling people while sober, but if both people are on mdma conversations ime usually revolve around how good the music is, how much better it sounds when you get closer to the bass speaker, how nice it is to be here or how nice your conversation parter is ;). another classic is forgetting what you were going to say mid-sentance...

ok. thank you a lot for all the help. not sure when i'll get get around to it, but i'll probably report back here after.

Hi, I'd like suggest 80mg as a starting dose if you want to go low if your weight is anything like mine, I'm 70kg. My first dose was 100mg and it felt amazing, not too intense or anything. Since then I stick to doing 120's. :)

it sounds like your moods can be quite variable. might be an idea to get a couple valium for the comedown to sort you out.

The weed high is just an uncomfortable anxiety for me whereas MDMA is the complete opposite - a headspace of no anxiety, warmth, content and huge euphoria once I've properly come-up. So yeah, just because weed is regarded 'softer' than MDMA doesn't mean that if you don't enjoy weed you can't enjoy MDMA. I don't know anyone who doesn't enjoy the MDMA experience but it's not that uncommon to dislike weed. Just remember that coming up on MDMA can be uncomfortable but it won't last long and then you'll wonder why you were ever worrying and be loving life instead.

I'm quite an anxious person and one of the things I really enjoy about mdma is that I can relax and enjoy the moment. Having said that, the come up can be a little anxiety-inducing, especially the first time. If you do experience this it helps to walk around or dance to take your mind off it. In any case it will soon pass.

Weed is edgy and paranoid but can open useful space connecting odd dots - MDMA is more like loosing alsorts of social cultural fears and being a self actualised sane human cacapable of learning, getting over things and potentially progressing. MDMA is more medicine than weed in my opinion which often just beomes escapist habit.

yeah i get a bit of anxiety with weed which is why ive cut back nearly knocked it on the head as a casual thing but MDMA is completely different! like ppl have already said, its the complete opposite! No worries whatsoever.
Just did some on NYE- fucking wicked! it was quite overwhelming stuff but I like that. I remember around my peak, I had just re-dosed 100mg for the 3rd time, looking around and just think FUCK ME! this is just so right, so hard to put into words but everything was just perfect. rushing my tits off! :)

I don't enjoy weed. I love MDMA. Several people have said to me that I had to try cannabis while on MDMA. I never wanted, until last time I took MDMA. Smoked weed at the end, and it was great. Had some weird hallucinations, like a person told me he was a chef, and all of a sudden he was wearing a chef-uniform. And stuff like that. It didn't feel anything like a weed-high at all. :)

Yehh, the weed high is very different when on mdma. It seems to mix well with it by providing a boost for the roll/magic, euphoria, body and head high.

It keeps everything about the mdma high while boosting the above and also adding some psychedelic effects. The mdma high helps make the weed feel easier to smoke, aka takes the harshness away from the throat and lungs (if that concerns you). Btw, does anybody know why that is?

Both activities are very social and it's easy to have a good time on them with others. :)

I've seen people with no tolerance to weed only take a few, strong hits while rolling and then they're good for the night. While laughing and having fun with silly things, heh. It's great, imo.

The mdma high helps make the weed feel easier to smoke, aka takes the harshness away from the throat and lungs (if that concerns you).

not only for weed. i've smoked whole cigarettes lit on the wrong end while on mdma ;)

not only for weed. i've smoked whole cigarettes lit on the wrong end while on mdma ;)

Haha, yaa, I've lit it up on the wrong end while rolling before too. That filter taste is foul!

I love smoking, and I have no idea why because cigs really do taste like crap.

I remember around my peak, I had just re-dosed 100mg for the 3rd time, looking around and just think FUCK ME!
Hi. You mean intial dose + 3*100mg redose? I'm not trying to be your mum or anything, just a friendly advice: that's pretty much overdoing it. People have different tolerance levels to the possible aftereffects of a heavy night on mdma but doing this frequently may easily result in increased comedowns and/or diminished rolls in the future (aka loosing the magic). To go like this once a year if you're not susceptible to comedowns anyway, isn't a big deal. Just don't make it a habit ;)
Normally, dose 1,7mg*body weight(kg) for the first drop, then 0,9-1,0mg*body weight redose 1 hr after you came up completely. This proved to be as safe as taking mdma can be, for all the people I roll with on a monthly basis. :)
The mdma high helps make the weed feel easier to smoke, aka takes the harshness away from the throat and lungs (if that concerns you). Btw, does anybody know why that is?
I'm pretty sure it's due to the analgesic effects of MDMA. Once I sat on a glowing cigarette butt and only felt it when my pants had a hole in them already. :D I also love to smoke cigs while rolling, joints only at the end of the roll (while it's a great feeling, I often get floored and difficult to converse with people if I smoke during the mdma plateau).

Last edited:
Myr-Ah, I see. Thanks for the explanation (the analgesic effect). That makes a lot of sense.

About smoking weed on the peak, yeah it definitely shouldn't be underestimated. The psychedelic effects are stronger than it seems if one smokes enough. :)

Hmm is it really mdma related analgesia that causes that effect? I always assumed it was from the slight stimulation that mdma causes because when I've had any amphetamine at all, even in moderate doses, I can always take huuuge rips off sticky without any harshness or the feeling of needing to cough.

And to the OP, everyone has pretty much thrown together all of the best advice to follow if you want to try MDMA:

-Always test your product PRIOR to consuming (there's a link on this site to dancesafe, a site that sells ecstasy test reagents)
-Start small, and wait until you're feeling it all the way before you redose (at least an hour and a half)
-Sip water throughout the whole night! The stuff dehydrates you, especially when dancing. Always have a water bottle with you! H20 is your friend :)
-And make sure you don't dance for more than 20 to 30 minutes at a time before taking a break for water/fresh air. Your mind won't be able to sense exhaustion while you're rolling, so it's important to play it smart and safe!

And enjoy! MDMA is an amazing substance and therapy tool. When treated with respect, in a good set and setting it is a beautiful experience that can be so overwhelmingly joyful and spiritually cleansing that it's almost impossible not to love. Have fun!

Last edited:
Sorry I haven't replied haha. I assumed since it wasn't on the front couple pages anymore it was pretty much dead (beginner mistake) Anyway thanks so much for all the advice. Still haven't gotten around to it. I'll keep what everyone said in mind. You're all great lol. :)