• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Misc Not correct place but dunno much need info google is lacking... Knee replacement surgery - yellow pus/drainage

Zonxx

Bluelighter
So as some know, i'm taking care of my mother whos been having different surgerys, she just got home today, and as far as i can see there's a yellow pus/drainage from her incision from surgery she had on wednesday (Total knee replacement), my surgical wound knowledge is minimal, anyone know how serious i should be looking at this? because i'm thinking of bringing her back to the hospital tomorrow, she exclaims they told her that redness/swelling would be normal but i mean, to the best of my knowledge yellow pus is never a good sign, anyone else with surgical knowledge able to chime in?

as far as my internet browsing has told me is basically to get to a doctor immediately, which she's not really motivated in with just getting home, but i don't really think 'not feeling like going' is going to matter if i tell her she's going

She has an infection (obviously I cannot diagnose her based on your description) but I'm a nurse and it sounds a lot like an infection. I'd take her to see someone for antibiotics. You DO NOT want her to develop sepsis. It's never worth risking it.
Get her seen (y)

Gross question, I know. But does it smell at all? like a) no smell b) yeasty smell c1) unpleasant smell c2) foul smell?

Let us know how it goes! :)

You can always call an ambulance.
I am so sorry ?.
Please be safe ! and follow proper medical advice ? ? ?

She has an infection (obviously I cannot diagnose her based on your description) but I'm a nurse and it sounds a lot like an infection. I'd take her to see someone for antibiotics. You DO NOT want her to develop sepsis. It's never worth risking it.
Get her seen (y)

Gross question, I know. But does it smell at all? like a) no smell b) yeasty smell c1) unpleasant smell c2) foul smell?

its under a bandage that i didn't want to remove because her incision is only 5 days old as of today so i didn't want to expose it and potentially make it worse

Get her seen (y)

i'm probably going to bring her back to the hospital tomorrow morning/tonight depending how things go, do you think i should remove the bandage to see if it smells, i know that if it does its 911 for her, because id hate for them to have to remove the whole implant

also pain isn't a factor i can look at since she's on high-dose pain meds same as i am, which i told her isn't helpful in situations such as this

just take care of her. yup dr.'s can only do so much. but medical will be needed ???.
yes.
yep, life likes to fuck with me like that, i get some great rocks the other day and today get shit on with new problems, oh life is funny somtimes

i'm probably going to bring her back to the hospital tomorrow morning/tonight depending how things go, do you think i should remove the bandage to see if it smells, i know that if it does its 911 for her, because id hate for them to have to remove the whole implant

No, don't remove the bandage unless you've been told it needs to be changed (they often are every day, though).

No, don't remove the bandage unless you've been told it needs to be changed (they often are every day, though).
keep the bandage on for protection, yes Please !
bandage will stabilise while in healing situ. ! ♡

yep, i assumed not to mess with it, she was diddling with it, armed with her magnify glass lol, i told her if anyones gonna remove it it'll be a doctor, i'll be taking her in tomorrow, i think its a med situation for her rn, because i told her not to take too many of her morphine pills with her, but ya know i'm just the son right what do i know, so they ended up NOT giving them back to her when she was discharged and i wasn't able to pick her up so i had someone else pick her up, but i wouldn't have left that hospital without them so i'm hoping the pharmacy we deal with will fix her up for the days she's missing or whatever because the wd she goes into is just ungodly, youd think she was a several gram a day dope injector if you ever saw it

yep, i assumed not to mess with it, she was diddling with it, armed with her magnify glass lol, i told her if anyones gonna remove it it'll be a doctor, i'll be taking her in tomorrow, i think its a med situation for her rn, because i told her not to take too many of her morphine pills with her, but ya know i'm just the son right what do i know, so they ended up NOT giving them back to her when she was discharged and i wasn't able to pick her up so i had someone else pick her up, but i wouldn't have left that hospital without them so i'm hoping the pharmacy we deal with will fix her up for the days she's missing or whatever because the wd she goes into is just ungodly, youd think she was a several gram a day dope injector if you ever saw it
the medical system is so confusing anymore.
they have me so koo koo i don't even want to go near them anymore. then when all is said and done, you can hear them murmuring about being understaffed and the hospital and medical regulations and policies. calling dr. HOUSE.
i'm sorry. but it is just too heart wrenching and absurd.
Stay Well ?.
i wonder what they did with the meds. were they stupid enough to throw them out. excuse me for my uncommon mannerisms but what are they doing ?,
someone or something has to solve this enigma !
where is the empathy. every one has a unique situation. not just one set in stone grrrrr dosage.
the presenting situation needs to be assest.
edit for spelling: assessed !

edit: and then you go in there sincere and honest and they take your meds from you.
i have heard about this from real life critical conditions and chronic pain sufferers that go into even the ER for life threatening emergencies, and then they get their meds taken from them.
Hold on to what is yours in the serious reality of it too.
take care.

Last edited:
the medical system is so confusing anymore.
they have me so koo koo i don't even want to go near them anymore. then when all is said and done, you can hear them murmuring about being understaffed and the hospital and medical regulations and policies. calling dr. HOUSE.
i'm sorry. but it is just too heart wrenching and absurd.
Stay Well ?.
i wonder what they did with the meds. were they stupid enough to throw them out. excuse me for my uncommon mannerisms but what are they doing ?,
someone or something has to solve this enigma !
where is the empathy. every one has a unique situation. not just one set in stone grrrrr dosage.
the presenting situation needs to be assest.
edit for spelling: assessed !

edit: and then you go in there sincere and honest and they take your meds from you.
i have heard about this from real life critical conditions and chronic pain sufferers that go into even the ER for life threatening emergencies, and then they get their meds taken from them.
Hold on to what is yours in the serious reality if it too.
take care.
yeah that's fucking infuriating, had i known this or had she called me to let me know they weren't giving her meds back id have told the person i sent in to get her to hang out with her and gone downtown to meetup with them at the hospital and fucking made sure she didn't leave without them, they took her fucking clonazepams which she takes way more than me since i take them as needed, she takes 6mg/night and is seriously fucking rediculous for them not to give those back to her since she's at risk of seizure if she goes into benzo wd..

then they take she tells me 4 days of her morphine which is 1200mg, and prescribe her 100 5mg oxy's, like shove the oxy up your ass and give my mother her fucking morphine back what a joke

im sure my pharmacist'll fix her meds up for her but its rediculous to have to have her in this situation to begin with, the hospital staff should really fucking know better, canada's health system is a joke unless you go into the private sector, and then thats a joke too because they don't really help you they ask you what you want and prescribe it and set you on your way
my friend got me in with his private doc who basically dolls out pills, but you have to spend 200$ for an appointment, 100 to see her, but you essentially walk out with what you need/want, in my case, not to die of opiate withdrawal =p

Last edited:
I don’t think a bandage should be left unchanged for 5 days. A lot can go wrong in 5 days when it comes to infection.
Definitely not if it’s its oozing.
Take her to get it looked at but if she gets a high temperature then just ring ambulance.
Sepsis ain’t no joke.

they usually don't give them back from what I hear others saying.
they are overzealous.
and of course ridiculous.

I don’t think a bandage should be left unchanged for 5 days. A lot can go wrong in 5 days when it comes to infection.
Definitely not if it’s its oozing.
Take her to get it looked at but if she gets a high temperature then just ring ambulance.
Sepsis ain’t no joke.
nono they changed it @ hosp everyday but i'm not changing it rn, idk what the parameters were regarding it after being discharged either, yeah i'm taking her in tmrw i dont care if she likes it or not

Oh ok, I must have misunderstood.
When was it changed last?
Whoever been changing it is responsible to check the wound ain’t infected.

Oh ok, I must have misunderstood.
When was it changed last?
Whoever been changing it is responsible to check the wound ain’t infected.
changed somtime in the AM on sunday, changed by the floors Nurse, but the hospital was relatively shit compared to my local standards she had the surgery there because it was the only place the surgeon could book the OR for her or she'd have had to wait atleast another 6months-8months, but lol, she wanted to have both knees done, within the year, i told her how fucking absurd those goals are, now she says she;s definately not even having the other one done, i'm always wrong because i'm the son

but i dont know if they were checking thats what i asked her and she replied with what i knew, that they were relatively understaffed had 2 nurses/assistant nurses for 32 people on the floor so i can't imagine she got much special attention vs, where she had the total hip replacement done where there were 6-8 nurses/pbrs per 20-25 people, because i wasn't downtown often the last week i had shit to do around here and i took two days to myself to woosa from everything because shits been relatively stressful as of late so i took a day to smoke up, and i went into a solid 24 hour morphine/hydromorph nod after i was done with that, then pretty much woke up sunday morning arranged for her to be picked up while still kinda heavily medicated, took some amps to snap out of it in the noon and she was home by 2-3pm annd yep, but she says she didn't have that drainage or yellow shit there prior to coming home (she had to walk up the stairs, which is why i kept saying how rediculous the place was for sending her fuckin home 5 days after surgery and having her walk up 4 flights of stairs, i mean i wish i could carry her but at 210-240lbs theres not much i can do at that point especially with my back as fucked as is unfortunately, idk i'm hoping for the best thats all i can really do man, but she's being alittle rediculous, i mean here i am, i told her im not gonna be sleeping much for the next 2 weeks so don't hesitate to ask for shit, but then she insists on getting up, whining and all what for youd think ? to make fucking toast, and she wouldn't let me do it for her, man i'm actually fucking pissed with that toast making nonsense. its 2am thats the least i can do if she wants toast, she's not gonna listen to me until she overdoes it and injures herself

worst part is, they 120% knew the home situation with the stairs it's a joke how the system works these days... thats why all our doctors including mine are moving to the US to practice there.