View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Noribogaine & Ibogaine Interaction

RhythmSpring

Bluelighter
I took some Iboga TA a couple weeks ago (totalling about 300mg), and now I'm feeling a swell of the noribogaine effects: antidepressant, need less sleep, feel stronger, increased libido, etc.

What would happen if I chose to ingest more Iboga, to have a flood? I ask because it seems that ibogaine's effects are largely opposite of those of noribogaine--confronted with personal issues, feel drowsy, weak, decreased libido, etc.

I'm worried that the two will interact in a negative way. Noribogaine is, after all, an SSRI.

Thanks,
RS

Hmm, good question. Seems like maybe you should wait to be safe. I wonder what the Bwiti shamans would do, in terms of their ingestion practices? Did they wait til it all cleared or would they "stack" it sometimes?

As an aside, noribogaine, post-flood peak, was probably the greatest state of mind I've ever been in and it lasted for months. I definitely recommend that someday you take a full flood dose (17+mg/kg) because the experience is very different and so much more powerful.

^ Agreed--I also wonder about the traditional practices. I wish there was like, an "Ask A Shaman" website.

Totally with you on that. I wish I had gone the whole hog, as it were, but I did not have a sitter at the time, so it would have been risky, technically.

Yeah it would have been very risky, I'd say you should never do a flood dose without a sitter. I had no idea what was going on for a very long time even though once I started getting up during the days I really thought I did. I could have done anything... I had a dream I drove around looking for something, and I don't think I really did but it was very realistic and I could have, I remember it like a real memory. I had a sitter for first 12 hours and then intermittently when he wasn't working until day 3, and a variety of things happened during the times he was gone that could have turned out very badly. Simply because I was operating in a different reality.

I really doubt noribogaine has the same mechanism of action as a traditional SSRI. There are some that dose iboga throughout the week. There's a lot of other people that microdose for a long periods of time. I would be surprised if it interacted negatively but it does seem to interact more with substances than almost any other psych. I think the main issue is the QT interval but I could be wrong. Probably better to wait a few weeks but 300 mg of TA isn't that much.

How was the quality? I'm assuming the well known vendor? I've heard mixed reviews as of late.

True, microdosing for extended periods of time seems to be safe.

Yeah, it's very hard to find a person or people who will stick around for 3 whole days.

The pharmacology of noribogaine is well known. It is not an SSRI. Check out some of the papers written by Deborah Mash.

Those papers are actually a very good reading, I haven't stumbled upon such an interesting material in a while. :)

I was just reading on the nexus that after a flood it takes a much lower dose to break through most likely because of the noribogaine levels. I know you didn't flood but one person did have a difficult time ingesting rootbark after a flood. I think the person took like 5 grams of root bark but was equivalent to around 10 g. Had a bad time. My understanding is that such doses are more prone to difficult/frightening experiences than a dose above 15 mg/kg but that's not always the case either. Thought it might be worth noting.

SSRI stands for selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor. Both ibogaine and noribogaine are far from being selective, they're active at multiple sites, hence their pharmacology is complex.