• MDMA &
    Empathogenic
    Drugs

Welcome Guest!
  • MDMA Moderators:

Non-Serotonergic Empathogens?

Terrorbird

Greenlighter
Are empathogens/entactogens necessarily serotonergic or are there any that act on other brain systems? I guess a more specific question would be: are there ways for an individual who is taking SSRIs to have empathogenic drug experiences safely without ceasing SSRI usage? It seems like most empathogens act on the serotonin system in some way but I'm curious if there are other brain systems that can induce similar effects/the same effect.

I read somewhere that 6-APB was activte for some on SSRI's (as it is mainly dopamine based). However, I would advise against trying to take any drugs of this kind if you are on SSRI's - your mood obviously isn't great to begin with (otherwise you wouldn't be on them), don't make it worse with drugs.

I read somewhere that 6-APB was activte for some on SSRI's (as it is mainly dopamine based). However, I would advise against trying to take any drugs of this kind if you are on SSRI's - your mood obviously isn't great to begin with (otherwise you wouldn't be on them), don't make it worse with drugs.

A lil while back ebola posted a link stating that 6-APB actually said to lacks SERT activity. IDK if I believe it though, more studies need to be done and I certainly wouldn't put my health in danger based on this one study but I guess it could explain why SSRI's don't kill the high.

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science...14299912010114

Oxytocin and it's synthetic analogs for sure. Possibly also (R)-baclofen, as I've seen it proposed as a treatment for autism.

Maybe 6-APB is a direct serotonergic agonist rather than exert serotonin agonism through SERT reversal.

Empathogens work through serotonin release/direct activation which then increases oxytocin, so no to the OPs original question.

I have read a report of oxytocin being used to immiatate the empathy from MDMA and it works but is short lived.

there are 2 that come to mind I have personally tasted and produced both effects albeit to an lesser degree the MDMA. Ghb and Khat, the first seems reasonably established as having those effects probably through the GHB receptor and Oxytocine release. But Khat which contains of merely Cathinone and Cathine strikes me as odd. As it should resemble ephedrine and amphetamine which are no where near emphatogenics or entactogens. But the effects it produced where very different then these stimulants akin to some sort of hybrid between the 2 classes.

A lil while back ebola posted a link stating that 6-APB actually said to lacks SERT activity. IDK if I believe it though, more studies need to be done and I certainly wouldn't put my health in danger based on this one study but I guess it could explain why SSRI's don't kill the high.

I personally think that the study needs replication, as they got weird results for some of their 'control' compounds, and other studies found 5/6apdb to have high affinity for SERT.

Maybe 6-APB is a direct serotonergic agonist rather than exert serotonin agonism through SERT reversal.

It's a very potent full agonist at 5ht2b. It could turn out that this in itself is 'entactogenic'.

ebola

It's a very potent full agonist at 5ht2b. It could turn out that this in itself is 'entactogenic'.

seems like it. especially considering that selectively blocking 5-ht2b abolishes most of mdma's effects.

Agreed. 6-APB is an MDA analog, which has affinity for 5ht2a and 2b, thus adding to its psychedelic affects. I wouldnt doubt 6-apb has some similar mechanism of action. Psychedelics in low doses (think <gram of shrooms) can be very empathogenic. Its just when you up the dose that things change.

don't know about safety with SSRI's but low dose mushrooms are empathogenic for me.