• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Benzos Non-accumulating benzos that can be used for tapering clonazepam ?

Kdem

Bluelighter
Any non-accumulating benzodiazepines that can be used for tapering clonazepam (prescribed) - not clonazepam itself ?

Accumulating=accumulating in fatty tissues like diazepam and diazepam like drugs such as Librium, Tranxene, prazepam.
Benzodiazepines available in this country: brotizolam, midazolam,triazolam, loprazolam, lormetazepam, oxazepam, temazepam, nitrazepam, lorazepam, flunitrazepam, alprazolam, bromazepam, Librium, clobazam, Tranxene, diazepam, flurazepam, lorazepam, prazepam, clonazepam.

Other benzodiazepines may be available through official importation, although I doubt whether I can get my doc to do this.
Unofficially - again, I'm not asking for sources !- I could obtain other benzodiazepines.
Some are easily available, like etizolam. Meclonazepam doesn't appear to be that hard to get. I haven't studied what is available as a research chemical or from internet pharmacies -again, not asking for a source-.
Which ones would be good candidates for a taper -sufficiently long duration of action, right properties- ?

I tried diazepam and hated it. I'd rather not become dependent on yet another problem drug. It takes forever to get the stuff out of your body.

Diclazepam is pretty much diazepam, according to the wiki ?

Flubromazepam ? I don't know much about it, it's pretty much a RC chemical for as far as I know.

Any other options besides diazepam drugs like Tranxene, Librium, prazepam ?

I would suggest going with phenobarbital, I had a pheno taper and it was the only thing that helped me stay off it. Every other time I would ween down, or use valium and I would go back to klonopin, the pheno taper worked and although I like barbiturates I do not like pheno so it worked well for me.

You can read enough on here that are plenty of people addicted and screwed up on RC benzo's.

They can't ween themselves so I wouldn't go that route.

Diazepam has worked great for me.I was taking upwards of twelve mgs of alprazolam twice a day or the same dose of clonazepam in a once daily dose. I got stabilized at a once daily dose of 100 mgs diazepam once a day and am now down to only 16 mgs of diazepam once daily and still tapering,withdrawal is pretty much non-exsistent and I found lyrica too be a huge help,I used it in 1-2 week "phases" once every 60 days or so,and normal therapeutic doses as I didn't want the pregabalin too delay the withdrawal.

Perhaps since you don't fancy the long half life benzos commonly used in GABAergic detoxification, maybe adequate doses and subsequent taper with oxazepam would be ok...slow acting, not very potent so not as prone to abuse,but it has saved my life in benzo withdrawal. The half life is short-intermediate .

I would suggest going with phenobarbital, I had a pheno taper and it was the only thing that helped me stay off it. Every other time I would ween down, or use valium and I would go back to klonopin, the pheno taper worked and although I like barbiturates I do not like pheno so it worked well for me.

You can read enough on here that are plenty of people addicted and screwed up on RC benzo's.

They can't ween themselves so I wouldn't go that route.

Maybe, but ordinarily they don't prescibe that stuff for this type of situation.
That doesn't mean I can't get it, but I'd probably have to do it myself :) Or be very persuasive in a detox center.

I don't get cravings, that's not it. It's just a very, very strong physical dependency. And after two days on the diazepam, I got worried because I had a hard time falling asleep the second night. (direct switch, I know there are other ways but a gradual crossover would have its own issues). Presumably because some clonazepam had left my system. Even at 40 mg diazepam a day, which is a lot. And I know it takes forever to get it out of your body. (there were plenty of other issues as well)

Last edited:
Diazepam has worked great for me.I was taking upwards of twelve mgs of alprazolam twice a day or the same dose of clonazepam in a once daily dose. I got stabilized at a once daily dose of 100 mgs diazepam once a day and am now down to only 16 mgs of diazepam once daily and still tapering,withdrawal is pretty much non-exsistent and I found lyrica too be a huge help,I used it in 1-2 week "phases" once every 60 days or so,and normal therapeutic doses as I didn't want the pregabalin too delay the withdrawal.

Perhaps since you don't fancy the long half life benzos commonly used in GABAergic detoxification, maybe adequate doses and subsequent taper with oxazepam would be ok...slow acting, not very potent so not as prone to abuse,but it has saved my life in benzo withdrawal. The half life is short-intermediate .

Are you a ´a benzo is a benzo´ type of guy ?

I did try oxazepam, and it lasted 6 to 7 hours. A peak of 3 hours, followed by a very mild after effect of three to four hours. Then nothing. Not a drug to stabilize on. Sleep was very, very difficult.

What did the Lyrica help you with ?

I´m not so much against long half life benzos, but the diazepam like drugs accumulate in your fatty tissues and it takes forever to get the stuff out, making a real taper very slow and if things go wrong there is very little room to adjust. After repeated dosing it can take up to two months (more?) to get the stuff out of your body. I just don´t seem to do well on anxiolytic benzos in general. I can´t sleep in the ´peak´ phase of the drug, that always has to happen later. With the hypnotics (those are almost impossible to use now) I was used to falling asleep quickly.
From oxazepam, diazepam, lorazepam, clonazepam the latter was ´easiest´ to fall asleep on, although lorazepam was decent while it still had its hypnotic and sedative properties.

I am a benzo is a benzo type guy,when I'd get real sick from alprazolam,my benzo of choice,anything helped.I've staved off withdrawal with temazepam,oxazepam,diazepam,lorazepam,clonazepam,midazolam,etizolam...well you get the idea.

The lyrica helped with the electric shock sensations,and took away the scary delirium like state.they also stopped the shakes.

I personally get significant withdrawal relief from gabapentin, pregabalin and the Z drugs i.e zopiclone.

I would say give pregabs (lyrica) a try. What I did was take it with a lower dose of my benzos,it potentiates them and I was able to lower my dose considerably by using 100 mgs of lyrica twice a day for 2 weeks.I didn't develop any withdrawal issues from it and it helped me lower my dose with no discomfort.

Since you don't like oxazepam, perhaps lorazepam or temazepam? Lorazepam I suppose would be more ideal as it is available down to very low doses and you could in the end split these low dose pills (like if you got to 0.5 mgs of lorazepam twice a day start taking 3 /4 of a tablet in one dose normal dose for a bit,then drop the second dose to the same as the first.continue do so until u are taking such a small fraction of a low dose pill that jumping off shouldn't be too bad.

Good luck my friend, being addicted to benzos is terrible...I thought opioid WD was bad....then I experienced the hellish delerium and intolerable symptoms of benzo withdrawal.... So bad it almost seems supernatural!

Accumulating/non-accumulating is not really a thing you want to focus on. Unless you know something about benzo discontinuation in a dependant person that those who specialize in benzo cessation don't.

There are benzos with longer half lives like Valium, and then there are short half life benzos like Xanax.

For tapering, long half life benzos are the BEST. Reason being, you can take valium once a day, and slowly reduce the dose every week/other week or so. With short acting benzodiazepines like Xanax, it's next to impossible to do because you constantly have to redose.

You can pick any other benzo with a half life comparable to Valium, perhaps one you'll conclude to be "non-accumulating," it won't make your taper any easier. A benzo dependency is a benzo dependency.

Accumulating/non-accumulating is not really a thing you want to focus on. Unless you know something about benzo discontinuation in a dependant person that those who specialize in benzo cessation don't.

There are benzos with longer half lives like Valium, and then there are short half life benzos like Xanax.

For tapering, long half life benzos are the BEST. Reason being, you can take valium once a day, and slowly reduce the dose every week/other week or so. With short acting benzodiazepines like Xanax, it's next to impossible to do because you constantly have to redose.

You can pick any other benzo with a half life comparable to Valium, perhaps one you'll conclude to be "non-accumulating," it won't make your taper any easier. A benzo dependency is a benzo dependency.

I'm more of an expert than I'd like.

I'm just bringing up the issue of half life vs. duration of action. Two very different things. I did try diazepam and found it to be a very messy drug, in more than one way. Switching to diazepam is common, but not everyone tolerates the drug well.
And again, having the drug in your body, causing all sorts of issues partly due to its slow elimination: to me it seems a risky proposition to become dependent on a problem drug that can take up to two months to get out of your body after discontinuation. 'a benzo is not a benzo'

In the sense of effects like anti anxiety,sedation,anti epileptic properties I do agree benzos are very different,but during true withdrawal I've found any benzo replaces another.but that's me and everyone is different.

Ive found benzos are in fact very different but all share basically the same WD symptoms.

I dunno man, you may need to talk with your health care provider and give a few options a go before deciding what is right for your situation.

I'm more of an expert than I'd like.

I'm just bringing up the issue of half life vs. duration of action. Two very different things. I did try diazepam and found it to be a very messy drug, in more than one way. Switching to diazepam is common, but not everyone tolerates the drug well.
And again, having the drug in your body, causing all sorts of issues partly due to its slow elimination: to me it seems a risky proposition to become dependent on a problem drug that can take up to two months to get out of your body after discontinuation. 'a benzo is not a benzo'
As a previous poster stated, youre way to worried about "accumulation" which shouldnt be a problem if youre tapering correctly.

The problem is that I have a hard time tolerating diazepam.

If I truly force myself on that drug and stop the clonazepam, I fear I may dig myself an even deeper hole.
And here the 'accumulation' comes into play, it's not a drug that you drop quickly. Nor can you adjust the taper easily.

And while it accumulates, I hate its short duration of action compared to colonazepam. 'duration of action' vs. 'half life'

Flubro may be your best bet then if you dont mind r.c.'s that is.