• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Nomenclature of 5-methoxy substitutes (recently bumped and merged)

nuke

Bluelighter
Anyone? I hate both of these (5-MeO-MiPT and 5-MeO-DiPT, respectively).

I propose:
5-MeO-DMT - Psiloxin
5-MeO-MiPT - Miproxin
5-MeO-DET - Ethoxin
5-MeO-DiPT - Iproxin (edited to fit with the 4-xxx-t's)
5-MeO-EiPT - Iseproxin
5-MeO-EPT - Eproxin
5-MeO-MET - Meproxin

edit:
5-MeO-DPT - Diproxin
5-MeO-DALT - Dalproxin

And maybe:

5-MeO-AET - Aeproxin
5-MeO-AMT - Amproxin

Additionally and slightly unrelated, 4-AcO-DMT should be psilacetin, and 4-HO-MET/4-AcO-MET meprocin/mepracetin.

edit: That also leaves iseprocin for 4-HO-EiPT, isepracetin for 4-AcO-EiPT, eprocin for 4-HO-EPT, and epracetin for 4-AcO-EPT

A few of these are off-brand tradenames of a few pharmaceuticals, but nothing too much in use. Of course, not using shorthand would be ideal, but not everyone who uses these drugs will probably be able to remember a bunch of letters and digits as opposed to a short name, and it's better to use an intelligent short name if any.

Last edited:
Mostly for the same reason murple original named the 4-substituted tryptamines, so someone wouldn't call them something silly like '4-aces' or 'foxy'.

And if someone has better nomenclature, I'd welcome it.

they would also be really reasy to mix up, seing as they all end with the same thing, and a few start with the same vowel sounds, with different consonants. Could be a bad thing dosage wise.

Can't you see the pattern? The first part of the name signifies the N-substitution while the second part signifies the 4- or 5-substitution. If you can memorize a simple pattern, you can reassemble the name into the compound very easily without having to remember exactly which name is which compound.

In my opinion, excellent work.

If it weren't for the fact that they're already on their way to scheduling, I'd suggest "-acetoxin" (mipracetoxin, ipracitoxin, etc.). This might have helped keep these drugs from gaining too much popularity among idiots, and in the case of some of these compounds seems rather descriptive of the effects. :)

Psilacetin was suggested long ago, when the rest of the 4-xO-T series was named.

Is there some precident for x-oxin naming scheme? Obviously psilocin came from the species name for the mushroom. Ethocin, et al were named after that. But where did this come from? It sounds too much like 'toxic' so I hope you didn't coin these because you don't like them. :)

Either way, they just don't sound right. They also fit no pattern. 5-MeO-DET (two ethyls) is 'ethoxin' but then 5-MeO-DiPT (two isopropyls) is 'diproxin.' To follow a pattern, 5-MeO-DiPT should be iproxin and 5-MeO-DPT would be propoxin, or proxin. And I don't think EIptoxin is pronouncable.

My idea in response however is just as bad...Ipromeocin (5-MeO-DiPT), Promeocin (5-MeO-DPT), Memeocin (5-MeO-MET), Mimeocin (5-MeO-MiPT), Ethmeocin (5-MeO-DET), and simple Meocin (5-MeO-DMT.) But again, I vote nay and keep them the way they are.

not everyone who uses these drugs will probably be able to remember a bunch of letters and digits as opposed to a short name,

You have even less hope in humans than I do. ;)

I think people can remember '5-MeO-DMT' if they actually took enough interest to researchthese things. But personally, if you can't remember a few letters, then you probably shouldn't be using the drugs anyway.

nuke said:
Anyone? I hate both of these (5-MeO-MiPT and 5-MeO-DiPT, respectively).

I propose:
5-MeO-DMT - Psiloxin
5-MeO-MiPT - Miproxin
5-MeO-DET - Ethoxin
5-MeO-DiPT - Diproxin
5-MeO-EiPT - Eiproxin
5-MeO-MET - Meproxin

And maybe:

5-MeO-AET - Aeproxin
5-MeO-AMT - Amproxin

Additionally and slightly unrelated, 4-AcO-DMT should be psilacetin, and 4-HO-MET/4-AcO-MET meprocin/mepracetin.

A few of these are off-brand tradenames of a few pharmaceuticals, but nothing too much in use. Of course, not using shorthand would be ideal, but not everyone who uses these drugs will probably be able to remember a bunch of letters and digits as opposed to a short name, and it's better to use an intelligent short name if any.

cornollio said:
no offense but those all sound really gay
My favourite quote of this whole thread :D

mgs said:
Is there some precident for x-oxin naming scheme? Obviously psilocin came from the species name for the mushroom. Ethocin, et al were named after that. But where did this come from? It sounds too much like 'toxic' so I hope you didn't coin these because you don't like them.

Either way, they just don't sound right. They also fit no pattern. 5-MeO-DET (two ethyls) is 'ethoxin' but then 5-MeO-DiPT (two isopropyls) is 'diproxin.' To follow a pattern, 5-MeO-DiPT should be iproxin and 5-MeO-DPT would be propoxin, or proxin. And I don't think EIptoxin is pronouncable.

My idea in response however is just as bad...Ipromeocin (5-MeO-DiPT), Promeocin (5-MeO-DPT), Memeocin (5-MeO-MET), Mimeocin (5-MeO-MiPT), Ethmeocin (5-MeO-DET), and simple Meocin (5-MeO-DMT.) But again, I vote nay and keep them the way they are.

Heh, there's no real precedent here. Are there any formal names for 5-MeO-DMT? I guess you could try molesting the names of one of the plants or toads it comes from, but that seemed messy. I do think some of the 5-MeO-Ts are worthwhile compounds, though. Certainly sexually.

Yeah. I've been thinking a long time about a proper way to shorthand these and I'm still kind of in the dark. But it's a fun thing to dream about while I'm trying to sleep. The thing with iproxin and eiproxin is that they'd probably be pronounced the same. And I guess the prefix for DPT is kind of analogous yet, even in the 4-substituted family (diprocin? diproacetin?). I had preferred diproxin to iproxin simply because it wouldn't sound like eiproxin (which I assumed people would figure to be pronounced like 'ein'). I never liked the ipro- prefix for the phenols/acetyls, with dipro- being di-iso-propyl.

Last edited:
I think they're a good idea, really, because they follow the same naming standard that exists for the 4-substituted tryptamines. And for those who think they sound "gay", do you suppose "foxy" is any better? Personally I always call the chemicals by their shorthand chemical names (ie, 5-MeO-DiPT, etc), but I'd say that "Diproxin" sounds better than "Foxy".

And the point isn't to make the name shorter, it's to make the name less retarded.

On a second thought, you could use biprocin/bipracetin/biproxin for x-dipropyl tryptamines, as bi- means two. I guess dia- might also work, however unused in language. But that might be confused with di-acetyl.

edit: edited it all a bit to make it fit better. now it all works and fits a lot better.

Last edited:
there will be a nomenclature quiz on thursday so be ready everyone!

Intoxo said:
Um, first of all they, with all other RCs will remain "spacedust" as far as I'm concerned.

Second of all, I thought you gave 5-me0-mipt an A+ in the sexy psychedelics thread?

i sure did. it's grrrrrrreat! except when it's confusing. i think 1.5-3mg freebase is a good level for myself.

>Are there any formal
>names for 5-MeO-DMT?

Yes...

N,N,O-TRIMETHYLSEROTONIN; N,N,O-TMS
BUFOTENINE METHYL ETHER
O-METHYLBUFOTENINE; OMB

<And for those who think they
>sound "gay", do you suppose
>"foxy" is any better? Personally
>I always call the chemicals by
>their shorthand chemical names
>(ie, 5-MeO-DiPT, etc), but I'd say
>that "Diproxin" sounds better
>than "Foxy".

Never thought the words were homosexual in origion. I hate 'foxy' so I never use it....however they are both pretty bad. I'll stick with 5-MeO-DiPT. :)

i reckon all new psychedelics should be named in honour of the great H.R.M. Murple, thus eliminating all potential for any further obfuscation and befuddlement, moreover, the need to learn IUPAC.

Personally I like 'foxy' and 'moxy'. I thought 5-MeO-DMT was named something similar to telepathine (telepathine was harmaline?) when researchers first isolated the chemicals in South American snuffs and ayahuasca brews.

once on while on 2 20mg doses of foxy, a jimi hendrix tribute band played 'foxy lady' it was pretty cool, on another note i think that they sound too similar..and trying to make the names widespread would be a difficult task. as well as trying to explain them to a newbie. "well Meproxin is different from Deproxin, then you got Miproxin and Iproxin" a name that metaphorically describes the feeling of the drug, and is an easy label for someone to grab onto. something catchy that doesnt sound like a skin rash medication would be cool

cornollio said:
once on while on 2 20mg doses of foxy, a jimi hendrix tribute band played 'foxy lady' it was pretty cool, on another note i think that they sound too similar..and trying to make the names widespread would be a difficult task. as well as trying to explain them to a newbie. "well Meproxin is different from Deproxin, then you got Miproxin and Iproxin" a name that metaphorically describes the feeling of the drug, and is an easy label for someone to grab onto. something catchy that doesnt sound like a skin rash medication would be cool

Well, the prefixes seem to have stuck for the -ocins and -acetins, and they're different enough to be able to distinguish in common conversation.

The effects of 5-MeO-DiPT are all over the spectrum, too. For some it's intensely psychedelic, others erotic, others disorienting, others diarrheal.. The the name foxy is kind of a misnomer for many. If it didn't rhyme with 'methoxy', I don't think it would have ever come into existence.