View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Nobel Peace Prize: Santos calls for 'rethink' of war on drugs

poledriver

Bluelighter
Nobel Peace Prize: Santos calls for 'rethink' of war on drugs

_92915962_hi036821858.jpg

The President of Colombia, Juan Manuel Santos, has used his Nobel Peace Prize acceptance speech to call for the world to "rethink" the war on drugs.
He said the zero-tolerance policy might be "even more harmful" than all the other wars being fought worldwide.

Mr Santos's government and the country's biggest rebel group, the Farc, signed a peace deal last month.
Bob Dylan, the first songwriter ever to receive the Nobel literature prize, did not collect his award in person.
He received a standing ovation nevertheless.
Has the war on drugs been lost?

Juan Manuel Santos: From hawk to dove

The conflict with the Farc rebels in Colombia has killed more than 260,000 people and left millions internally displaced.
Accepting the prize for his efforts in the peace process, Mr Santos paid tribute to the families of victims of the conflict.

He said the "great paradox" of peacemaking was that "the victims are the ones who are most willing to forgive, to reconcile and to face the future with a heart free of hate".
In a deviation from his prepared remarks, he asked the representatives of the victims present to stand and be recognised for their own efforts in the peace process, to much applause.

He previously pledged to donate the prize money - eight million Swedish krona ($925,000) - to help the conflict's victims.
"I have served as a leader in times of war - to defend the freedom and the rights of the Colombian people - and I have served as a leader in times of making peace," he said. "Allow me to tell you, from my own experience, that it is much harder to make peace than to wage war."

No war on drugs

Mr Santos said it was "time to change our strategy" on drugs, and that Colombia had "paid the highest cost in deaths and sacrifices" in the so-called war on drugs.

The term, coined by US President Richard Nixon more than four decades ago, refers to US-led efforts to stop drug production at its source. In Latin America this has included on-the-ground policing, and fumigation of coca fields from the air.

"We have moral authority to state that, after decades of fighting against drug trafficking, the world has still been unable to control this scourge that fuels violence and corruption throughout our global community," he said.
"It makes no sense to imprison a peasant who grows marijuana, when nowadays, for example, its cultivation and use are legal in eight states of the United States.
"The manner in which this war against drugs is being waged is equally or perhaps even more harmful than all the wars the world is fighting today, combined."

Cont -

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-38275292

This reminds me of an organization I recently stumbled upon... Stoptheharm.org.

Poledriver thanks for sharing this. I enjoyed reading it.

To Lucid- unfortunately, you're correct. As we all know, unless they're wanting to altar their way of thinking they'll remain ignorant.

as i said in another thread....asking the conservatives to accept drug use as something other than a sin...is like asking them to accept that jesus was a con-man. Its not going to happen, no matter how much common sense or disfunction you throw at them. ideology is stronger than diamonds.

we can hope all we want that it will change due to common sense, but as long as these people control 50-100% of government its not happening. The only reason its happening with pot is because many conservative voters are not longer socially conservative anymore...but you can still see that virtually all conservatives politicians still favor prohibition

This deal with Colombia is promising, though...historically Colombia has been one of the most right-wing nations in South America, esp. compared to the other nations in South America, which have tended to be more left or center-left in recent decades. It has kind of been like the Israel of South America, in regards to how it more-or-less marched lockstep with US foreign policy interests. So it's definitely a good thing when the leader of such a place questions the policies which have been disastrous for Colombia (and the Americas generally-speaking)

Maybe the USA is using puppets to create a big pro drug movement, get everyone stoned, doped, bombed so they don't organise against capitalism as the crisis bites. Not the craziest thought, situation is getting acute.