• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

NO Xanax taper after 2years strong!

ThatOneDude!

Bluelighter
For two years I have been given 2mg Xanax a day for my anxiety disorder.

At a point, my doctor abruptly took me off Xanax for me potentially going to rehab for meth. "they dont take Xanax in rehab"

I didnt need to go to rehab for meth and found an outpatient program instead due to my strong confidence in staying clean and being so on my own for the following 3-4 months.

This whole time, i had 2 refills for my Xanax available. Left overs sorta ya know, i picked up both refills. and went through my reserve Xanax stash that i had accumulated over the two years, on good months when i had days of not taking.

Anyways, im addicted to xanax, as i am having withdrawals, or at least getting really sick feeling when not on them.

Now I am Completely Out!

And my doctor WONT give me a taper because i took those two months of refills when he said he was not going to give me more!

So two months added to two years of taking Xanax and now i don't deserve a taper!!!

How well would me attempting to get another doctor to help me be? Does my doctors logic make sense. or would finding another doctor be encouraged? i dont know if my doctors logic makes sense, or another doctor would say same thing, or maybe i show them whats going on and i get some help. they say xanax withdrawals only last 7 days but still..... i think my doctor is mean and i honestly feel like i want a new one.

and im taking seroquel which gives me muscle stiffness/rigidity

also now i have Vistaril which is helping but not making the sickness feeling go away.
Hot and Cold Sweats
Aching EVERYWHERE!! Head and Body!
Shaking!
No Sleep
Nauseous!
haha, now i wake up soar throat
ANXIOUS!
and this is all rather depressing to think about while i see what i have written on screen here.

If looking for new doctor, I am using Medicaid to get by, any tips or should i just look up what kind of place, a mental health place, or where, maybe GP Doctor?

EDIT: i also am put on Depakote ER 1000mg, and Clonidine .1mg twice a day, and then BuSpar 30mg twice a day, but BuSpar is a mocking joke if you ask me!! I am taking lots of Lyrica too. i am given 150mg 3 times a day, but im taking like 600-900mg doses. and then also taking lots of 100mg doses of Vistaril when my symptoms flair up. ALL this IS helping, but its only helping, not making sickness go away. i just want a Xanax Taper!!!!!!

Last edited:
Are you currently at a rehab or drug treatment center for meth? Can you detox or get clean from Xanax there at the same time?

Or maybe you should see a different doctor and tell him/her how you want to get sober from Xanax and not stop cold turkey as it's dangerous? Good luck.

Hmm, is it even legal for your doctor to do that? He had you on it for 2 years, now he's taking you off completely without a taper!?
Benzo w.d is DANGEROUS and LIFE THREATENING (esp Xanax).
If you get a life threatening seizure and get hospitalized, I think you would have a legit case to press charges on that Doctor.

Now I'm not going to recommend you do that, because your life and health is the important thing here.

You either find a new doctor who will help you taper, ask for a longer acting benzo, I recommend either Diazepam or Clonazepam.
Or if you can't find a doctor to help you wean off, I def. recommend an inpatient rehab facility. They're going to help you 100%.
You did mention that you're going to rehab for meth anyways. So instead of going for just meth, go for Meth and Benzos.
They have plenty of Diazepam and Librium there to help taper you off safely. Good luck!

Yeah! Thanks I like to here you say it! I definitely am getting a new doctor, one i have now is mean! lol....
He does have me on some anti seizure meds 1000mg depakote er, and 150mg lyrica.... still tho, being sick from benzos sucks, if i cant get new doctor i will go inpatient rehab for sure! I'm glad to know they will at least help me taper off. I was going to do an intensive outpatient rehab for meth..... so i could hold down a job and make my car payments. otherwise, my co-signer for the car is going to have to make the payments, that wasnt out agreement, they were so nice to help me out with their excellent credit. I am morally obligated to hold our agreement and make the payments. I already have some paying back to do. Hopefully, i just show some evidence that i was taking xanax to a new doctor tell them why i am seeking a new doctor and i hope all is good....

you cant taper with xanax, you need something long acting, in rehab they made me taper xanax and klonopin and drinking addiction with phenobarbital

you cant taper with xanax, you need something long acting, in rehab they made me taper xanax and klonopin and drinking addiction with phenobarbital
It's possible that he can actually taper Xanax with Xanax.
BUT using a long acting Benzo such as Librium, Valium, or Klonopin would make detoxing much easier.
But out of the 3, I recommend Valium. Librium has the same half life as Valium, but it's too weak to be as effective.
Klonopin is more potent than both Valium and Librium, but has only half of the half life compared to the other 2.
Valium has both the potency and long half life, thus it's the best choice of the 3 IMO.

They gave me Librium to come off
That's awesome. Librium is a excellent benzo to taper off of benzos
I've been told it's the most used medication in rehab. They give it to alcoholics and for benzo addiction.
Librium and Valium have the longest half life in the class of benzos (about 100 hours).

I've never been to rehab, but have plenty of friends who have been to rehab. They said these are the medications that are mostly given to their patients,

For opiate addicts,
Buperenorphine
Gabapentin
Clonodine
Trazodone
Ibuprofen

For benzo addicts,
Librium
Valium
Phenobarbital
Clonodine
Trazodone

For alcohol withdrawal,
Valium
Phenobarbital
Clonodine
Trazodone

Of course, they dont dose patients all those medications at the same time. They're widely spread throughout the day.
I'm not saying my list is 100% accurate, but they do indeed use most of those medications in rehab.