• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

No withdrawals after long-term opiate use?

No WD

I actually have a close friend that doesn't experience opiate withdrawals either. He goes to a pain clinic and gets 60 20mg Opana's a month. He has been in pain management on opiates for 3 years now. I've seen him when he runs out of his pain pills and nothing happens. He said he doesn't get sick at all and he feels completely fine. I don't know how this is. When I run out I start withdrawaling about 12-24 hours after my last dose. But I've seen him without opiates and he is completely fine he says that he feels great. I don't get it and I actually am really jealous of him.

Umm...HELLO, the patient was selling his script and keeping enough to take for a couple days before each appt in case of a DS. So when the patient "quit" of course there were no WDs. I highly, highly doubt the patient ever tested positive for all those things at once but the doctor instead took his word for it and the guy was just lying to get a biggerr script.

I know alot of people who don't seem to suffer opiate withdrawals. All of which were on much lower doses but still did them enough where they should have experienced withdrawals. The kick is that every single one didn't understand the idea of withdrawal (or at least how bad it could be) or were maybe unwilling to accept that anything they felt was withdrawal. Ignorance is bliss I suppose.

...or were maybe unwilling to accept that anything they felt was withdrawal. Ignorance is bliss I suppose.

I had a girlfriend who I introduced to cocaine use prior to sexual activity, and she deduced that by coincidence it was among the most enjoyable intimacy we have had together, enough so to mention it immediately thereafter...

...However for whatever reason, this hadn't, through her own reasoning, anything to do with the drug we had ingested before the act. I didn't push the issue though I believed that I knew better: since I didn't want her to become addicted. Seeing as one part necessary to addiction is in fact tying the rewarding mechanism to its source.

My old friend who is now dead used to say he never got sick either

My only reply was either your lying or your the luckiest junkie in the world
He was lying

Suboxone for 800, please!?

Guys, if you are all so knowledgeable on the subject of opiates and withdrawal then you would all know that an opiate antagonist, such as the miracle drug, Suboxone, prevents any type of opiate withdrawal if the right amount is consumed. HIGHLY recommended for any and all opiate addicts. Doesn't have the addictive properties of methadone, and you can't get high while your on it.

This doesnt suprise me one bit, personally i cant feel benzo's unless i'm on amphetamine, i can take like 20mg of xanax without any effect, however when i add amphetamine 2mg knocks me out.
Its called paradoxal reactions.

Wow, it's the exact opposite for me. 10 mg of amphetamine completely nullified the effect of 6 mg of lorazepam, no tolerance to lorazepam and large tolerance to amphetamine. Disappointed, I drank 3 shots in rapid succession, and felt slightly intoxicated for ~an hour. Under normal circumstances, I have a normal alcohol tolerance.

As for the subject of the thread, I've never heard of this before, but I do know that there are some weird genetic differences in response to opiates. For example, some people are naturally very insensitive to opiates, but this trait is associated with high tolerance for extreme pain. Perhaps a polymorphism with high intrinsic activity? Who knows.

Guys, if you are all so knowledgeable on the subject of opiates and withdrawal then you would all know that an opiate antagonist, such as the miracle drug, Suboxone, prevents any type of opiate withdrawal if the right amount is consumed. HIGHLY recommended for any and all opiate addicts. Doesn't have the addictive properties of methadone, and you can't get high while your on it.
that is soo true!

Was poking Around the web on this subject.
I was taking about 2 10/325 norco a day
For 6 plus years after a fall from 25 feet
At work and 2 surgeries to repair discs in
Lower back. I've always had what I refer to
As a nonadictive personality. I quit cold turkey
2 weeks ago as I found out the opiates were
Affecting my testosterone levels and am about
To have another surgery, with zero withdrawl
Symptoms. I've done the Same with smoking.
I've partied and played with alot of Rec drugs.
I just stop. Mostly I just keep stuff I want to not
Do around me so I'm not persoally tempted to do it.
I have no explanation. Just kinda mind over matter.
Our mind is a funny thing. A few times I've realized
My brain is trying to play a trick on me, recognize
It and chuckle. Makes me think profoundly on
How maybe our Brain isn't a part of our consciousness
If its trying to trick my thoughts into something
That I don't want to do. :) anyway. My wife
Who pointed out my sex drive was laungishing and
Me wanting to be healthty before surgery beats out
Pain pills for real pain. But I've done and quit other
Things too without a moral dilemma as well.
Really can't explain it. And if you want to call bullshit
That's fine I have nothing to prove to you.
And I don't replace it with anything either.
I just stop.

I was taking about 2 10/325 norco a day
For 6 plus years.

Honestly 20mg daily hydrocodone is not that much. It is also a prodrug after all. The six year duration probably had a mediating effect on not noticing/having discontinuation effects. It is starting and stopping repeatedly that gets one to notice 'withdrawal' symptoms for the most part, and usually at higher dosages & stronger opiates than described.

A very possible and more than likely scenario, I think you nailed it. Sold them all but took some for couple days before Dr. appointment. Case closed

Last edited:
I've been on several opiates over the past ten years never once had any withdrawals until I was put on Oxycontin, it was great for my pain but now I will get very ill anytime after 10 -12 hours without. I start shaking, sneezing, sweats, terrible heaving to the point that it feels like my whole stomach is going to come out. As much as I hate this drug NOW I hate the constant fear of running out even more, I know I'm going to have to make some kind of change. A terrible struggle to remain at the same dosage for so long as you end up building such a tolerance and try telling my doc. that their not as effective anymore and get treated as if I'm just drug seeking, yes 160mg. 3x/day is a fairly high dose but after 2+ yrs. no it's not anymore, but the withdrawals are unbearable. I'd hate to think going without for more than 24hrs.

People who take narcotics purely for pain relief and who do so without deriving the typical "high" from the experience for whatever reason (generally, intractable pain) do seem to be able to come off with greater ease than other types of users.

This. I read this somewhere else too.

Once your addicted you get wd's. And unless you have buprenorphine things will be uncomfortable.

It's all to do with whether someone becomes habituated to the removal of negative reinforcement or not. Drugs like opioids remove negative reinforcement, which can be in itself highly reinforcing if sought for 'psychological' negative reinforcement such as in that from depression etc. By contrast, dopaminergic stimulants like cocaine & amphetamines give positive reinforcement.

Last edited:
I agree. People who never sought out opiates to get high but used them as prescribed for pain often don't have withdrawal symptoms that they recognize as such. Maybe it was propaganda but they made much of the Vietnam vets using H over there and not withdrawing or seeking it back home. They say they're coming down with a cold, or have a couple restless nights. But if you know all about wd-ing and you expect to suffer, you certainly will suffer. But it does take a certain amount and time of continuous use to develop a habit, different for everyone, but for recreational users only a few weeks. And once the line is crossed there is no going back, as we well know. For unaware straights--who knows? All IMHO, of course. And 30 years down the road.

Last edited:
This is a reply to hoppberg above:

You are in trouble, my friend. The doctor will get nervous and shut you off and what then? You couldn't buy that much off the street consistently even if you could afford it. I know it is a real drag, but the best fast escape from imminent trouble is methadone. Find a clinic

Last edited:
..They say they're coming down with a cold, or have a couple restless nights..

I have to lodge my agreement here. It is how keen ones sense of awareness is to what their body is going through. Which is why I said one usually has to start & stop multiple times with extended periods of continuous use to notice withdrawal. But once it is noticed, one cannot seem to 'unlearn' it, and it becomes something nigh impossible to put out of ones mind while they are going through it.

They associate the chills they are feeling as nothing to do with the room temperature anymore, but as a form of internal sense that can be altered by partaking of a drug. "Normal" people seem to accept the necessities of certain forms of every day discomfort as something beyond their control. Addicts however become habituated to a type of baseline feeling that they are used to, and diverging from that, it is very hard not to continue a pattern of use to keep that 'comfort zone' maintained.

Probably still taking opiates and getting piss from a friend who is on Bupe, or spiking in some

bben- I would consider that possibility if it weren't for the fact that he was prescribed them for chronic pain (don't know his exact condition) and several surgeries. I am almost 100% positive that he was taking them... I doubt he was putting up with the massive amounts of pain he was in just to sell opiates and make extra money he didn't even need lol. I don't see why he would want to purposely fail a drug test either though, that confuses me a bit..?

producedraw- There's nothing that can really fully mask hardcore opiate withdrawals... except other opiates. And according to my doctor, his withdrawals should have been pretty brutal. Otherwise that would be the most logical explanation. But I mean, my doctor was expecting this guy to have some pretty crazy withdrawals... it wasn't even the patient's idea. My doctor was basically like, "Look dude, you're going to have severe withdrawals when we take you off the opiates, so we're going to put you on Suboxone." And then nothing even happened.
I literally got out of inpatient Rehab yesterday for opiates and heroin mostly I have been doing opiate pills like hydrocodone or OxyContin or fentanyl and heroin for 6+ years at least and I have never experienced withdraws of any kind I went to the rehab facility a little more than a month ago and spent six days in detox extremely bored because I didn’t experience any withdrawal symptoms of any kind no shakes no runny nose no diarrhea no vomiting no sweating no headaches nothing without any other medication assistance I didn’t take any valium I didn’t take any Suboxone or any other medication‘s to Quill with drawl symptoms all the other attics were extremely blown away especially by the amount of opiates I can induce without even nodding off and so was the nursing staff and doctors they gave me no explanation as to why I don’t experience these symptoms but I can tell you firsthand that it looks like a miserable experience the people that I was with their look like they were an absolute agony and most of them weren’t taking anything near what I was for such a prolonged period of time. I really wish somebody could answer me as to why this doesn’t happen don’t get me wrong I’m thankful to not have to experience it however it begs the question why is it strictly just my genetics? Am I half an alien or something?