• Welcome Guest

Forum Guidelines Bluelight Rules
    Fun 💃 Threads Overdosed? Click
    D R U G   C U L T U R E

No stamina for drugs anymore

I
I'm not sure what this is, maybe it's me just getting older I dunno, but getting high exhausts me now. I can't even smoke a joint without feeling like I need to do nothing for the rest of my day just a few hours later. I used to love smoking and going for walks, but now I just get tired. It's the same with psychedelics. I'll get high and the high will feel great, but then, after some time, something just "cuts out" neurochemically and I have no more mental/cognitive energy to deal with it anymore. It's almost as if my brain can't handle the stimulation. Then I just feel tired and impaired, almost unable to function. Doesn't really matter what drug it is. Even caffeine does it.

What is this? I'm not even 40 so I don't get it. I did do a lot of psychedelics at very high doses in my mid 20s but that was over 10 years ago. My physical health was also really rough for a lot of the past 10 years, but right now I'm in the best shape I've ever been (knock on wood). Good diet, take lots of nutrients, I'm on top of things. So I don't get what's going on.

Has anyone either experienced this or have any idea what it might mean? I want to drop acid this summer but not if I'm going to have cognitive exhaustion after 1 hour and then have to suffer through feeling brain-dead for the next 7 hours.
I deal with the same thing and I'm only 28. I used psychedelics heavily in my early twenties, and I think my brain is just fatigued from it. Nowadays if I smoke weed I just end up falling asleep shortly afterwards, can't use psychedelics anymore. I think if you have a heavy use period, regardless if you quit and stay clean for a while, the brain has just had enough of it at a certain point.

I

I deal with the same thing and I'm only 28. I used psychedelics heavily in my early twenties, and I think my brain is just fatigued from it. Nowadays if I smoke weed I just end up falling asleep shortly afterwards, can't use psychedelics anymore. I think if you have a heavy use period, regardless if you quit and stay clean for a while, the brain has just had enough of it at a certain point.

I wonder if it's permanent brain fatigue too. The brain is a very resilient organ but it has a shelf life like any other organ. I sometimes wonder if I blew my cosmic wad one too many times in my 20s and now those pathways are all used up.

The reasons are likely so complex, but yeah, on the whole probably a side-effect of aging and repeated exposure or damage/neurodegeneration. Such as fewer or less plastic synaptic vesicles containing fewer neurotransmitters, fewer/weaker/pruned neural connections, fewer endogenous antioxidants, and so on, all interplaying. For instance, there is a theory that many of the mental difficulties/declines experienced by older people are actually positive adaptations (despite their outwardly negative impact) designed to prolong the functional capacity of the brain as a whole in the face of decades of damage, weakened mitochondria and enfeebled antioxidant mechanisms etc (fwiw almost all these issues are - at heart - about cellular energy production and metabolism). I dunno, I could go on as I have a lot of thoughts and insights on the subject, but having autism and adhd makes it challenging for me to articulate them meaningfully. But you get the gist anyway.

I've noticed this as well, a close friend of mine has expressed similar sentiments as well. I think it's likely a combination of aging and possibly cumulative wear on your body from the years of heavy drug abuse as well.

Lifelong alcoholic and serial poly-drug addict here. For me nothing changed at 30. Nor 40.

But something happened at 50-- and got worse at 60. More side effects, withdrawals got more severe, recovery times got longer. Also, my desire to push the envelope lessened greatly.

At 64 I'm not drinking and rarely do hard drugs (and take less if I do). I only trip about once a year. I maintain a moderate kratom habit and eat a gummy or two every evening. I still drink insane amounts of coffee and my worst habit is cigarettes.

I no longer have the desire to get obliterated or stay up for days or explore crazy new dimensions. Two of my favorite activities are lying down for a good night's sleep and waking up feeling rested.

Sounds boring maybe but I always wake up in my own bed. It's cheap,
Are you from the Uk?

No, I am from the Detroit metro area. I asked because some of the English guys are practically indestructible and the Scottish, their bodies can really take abuse and come out fine. I wondered if you were because of the fact of your age and you can seem to take a lot of abuse to your body. Lol

No, I am from the Detroit metro area. I asked because some of the English guys are practically indestructible and the Scottish, their bodies can really take abuse and come out fine. I wondered if you were because of the fact of your age and you can seem to take a lot of abuse to your body. Lol
Nah man, I don't even have European ancestors.

Now I admit, I'm an older hard drug abuser "I can't be the oldest person here I believe". It's just that I have not had a normal life or even childhood and I try to compensate for it through drug use. And while I'm a drug abuser, I'm also an engineering professional, a loving father and husband, and I have just gotten my MBA, so I guess drugs haven't put all their destructive power in me. Believe me I could be a much better person, but my drug use is something that I enjoy on my own in secrecy, it has become the forbidden fun that almost nobody knows I'm having.

45/46 spot on... thats when everything starts to change.
Tell me about it. I seriously can't do half of the shit I used to do in my twenties. One positive note though, I noticed that doctors become more lenient and forgiving when you are older. I used to beg the doctor for Z drugs when I was younger with no luck. Nowadays all I have to say is that I am not getting enough quality sleep, and out comes the script.

I think aside from the actual science of your brain, it definitely has to do more with "having your fill"/"getting it out of your system."

I'm 19 and I really hate smoking weed by itself now, not even for creative projects (because I end up doing nothing but sitting on my ass regretting smoking to not enhance another substance.) However, if I have certain stims, DXM, or shrooms I'll smoke a little bit to enhance/prolong my peak (especially with MA)

I find ive gotten everything I can from weed, the only reason I'd need to smoke it by itself now is to help my ED or to sleep, but even then my psych meds tend to help with both (when I take them 😅)

Edit: ive been a daily smoker for 5/6 years, with some t breaks. So I also don't think it's a time of usage thing either because my mom is 40 and will probably smoke til she dies, my grandad smoked until he died, but my brother is 22, daily smoker for 7/8 years, and hates it. He just keeps going because he's dependent on it