• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

No Precipitated Withdrawal ever, why?

uloveme

Greenlighter
I am not a huge opiate user, or narcotic user at all. But I was on Roxicontin-IR everyday for about a year, and I no longer needed it. The original need was from recovering from surgery, so I went to a so called private "Detox facility". It was outpatient and I was completely unaware of Suboxone/Subutex. I was prescribed Suboxone and it was sublingual, it was a horrible experience. Not because of precipitated withdrawal but because it turned out I was allergic to something in Suboxone and it caused huge blisters to appear all in my mouth, terribly painful experience I assure you. Well they prescribed me Subutex, and I've taken it ever since for various pain. Personally I cannot promote Subutex enough, it is truly a life saver and a wonderful pain killer. Please note that I never injected anything, I find that to be extraordinarily disgusting when used outside of medical treatments. I do not know if that is relevant information, so I just thought I'd include it because so many people using the same prescription narcotic I did, used it in that way (Injecting, smoking,etc...). All of which are deplorable to me personally.

Anyway I found out that I should have entered precipitated withdrawal when I used my opiate, in conjunction after a relatively small time passed after taking the Suboxone. And yes I am fully aware that Suboxone is not the actual drug, I am also aware to a point of how it affects the brain and why it does, what it does. I also had used an opiate, and afterwards within the set time period that they set precipitated withdrawal to occur after ingesting an opiate and then the Suboxone, precipitated withdrawal did not occur then either. This went on for perhaps a week before I was able to get my Subutex filled. And the entire time I had been doing what should've caused precipitated withdrawal. I was not even aware of precipitated withdrawal until someone mentioned it in a discussion, and I just thought they told the person that so they wouldn't inject heroin or something after doing Suboxone. So I thought it was made up, but obviously it is not made up. Why don't I get it?

I do not know of anybody else like this, and I cannot find a specific post that answers this. Is this something that I happen to be born with? perhaps something in my family. I mention family because I gave my mother a Suboxone after her opiate stopped working for pain one day, and it never caused her any problems so I have to say that this wouldn't happen to my mother either. Though it was only that once that my mother was put into a situation where she should've gone into precipitated withdrawal, I still think that would lead me to the conclusion that it is something I was born with. But what?

The general rule of thumb is to wait atleast 24 hours after your last opiate dose to take a suboxone or subutex. As for methadone 48-72 hours, so they say...if I take a Suboxone and then get high after, I will get reduced effect ot the opiate or blocked completely. If I use heroin , and take a Suboxone afterwards I will go thru precip -WD. Same applied for subutex, hype itself will throw you in precip.

The general rule of thumb is to wait atleast 24 hours after your last opiate dose to take a suboxone or subutex. As for methadone 48-72 hours, so they say...if I take a Suboxone and then get high after, I will get reduced effect ot the opiate or blocked completely. If I use heroin , and take a Suboxone afterwards I will go thru precip -WD. Same applied for subutex, hype itself will throw you in precip.

Yeah I am aware of all of that, and I have broken virtually every rule about Suboxone. Obviously Subutex is quite different. I'm not sure if I stated that above, but this is Suboxone specific because obviously Subutex doesn't contain the chemical that forces you into withdrawal symptoms. I've used opiates within less than an hour of taking Suboxone, and the other way around. I've taken opiates and used Suboxone within probably four to six hours. Both of which should throw a person as you say, into precipitated withdrawal and I have experienced nothing when it was done. I can also say that the effect was not different, but I am also not a serious user. So I never got mind blowingly "high" or however you wish to put it, I merely am trying to state that Suboxone did not have an affect on me other than taking away actual withdrawals. Why didn't it do that?, Is there others that experienced that as well?

I'd imagine nobody would try it once they learn what it does to you when you combine the two. But I did this for some time before I switched to Subutex and then learned about precipitated withdrawal. Now that I think about it though, why didn't my doctor that wrote me it, tell me about precipitated withdrawal.

You wouldn't go into precipitated withdrawal from taking an opiate after taking subutex/suboxone.

What happens is if you have opiates in your system and then take sub you can go into precipitated wd. It varies from person to person and depends on what opiate you take (and how long it's half life is). This happens because the sub rips the full agonist opiate off the receptors and replaces it with the sub (which is a partial agonist that's not a "perfect fit" for receptor) and---you MUST have a dependency for it to occur

Once you have sub in your system even if you take opiates and then take more sub you won't experience precipitated wd. It can only happen when you have only full agonist opiates and then take sub. Once there is sub in the body even if you do opiates then sub you'll be fine. One sub dose can last 72 hours in body.

Now as for the first time you dosed sub and didn't get precip wd---well, for whatever reason some people can take sub not long after opiate and have no issue. If you don't have a physical habit you also won't get thrown into precipitated wd. And sometimes, a persons body chemistry is an outlier and they bend the "rules"

And sometimes, you get lucky. If you stopped sub and tried to induct again you very well might have precip wd. You'd know. It hits very quickly

Far as your mom, OP, she may not have a dependency. Or she may have waited long enough from her last painkiller til when she took sub.

Don't ever think you're immune though, it doesn't work that way...

So tl;dr ---precip wd only comes from dosing sub soon after an opiate. It doesn't come from dosing opiate after sub. Once sub is in system you're always safe to take more sub.

Edit:: OP--suboxone or subutex makes no difference. It's the active ingredient, the buprenorphine, that causes precip wd as I explained. The naloxone added to suboxone has no effect, other than some people are sensitive to it and get headaches, or in your case allergic.

Really, anything is possible. There are so many different variables at play when determining how a drug will affect an individual. Count yourself lucky. You hear stories of people using Opioids for years, quitting and not experiencing any withdrawal symptoms. This is out of the ordinary sure, but anything is possible.