No one knows I've been using. Looking for help here making it through the 1st week.

Gelfling

Greenlighter
I've been taking oxy for about 3 years now. Started as occasional partying, but now I'm probably averaging 5-10mg/ day. Not a huge habit, but haven't gone without it for more than a day for over a year.
I have to travel for a friend's wedding this weekend. But plan for Monday to be Day 1.
I live with my boyfriend and he has no idea. I know I will probably just have to say I'm under the weather (again- this happens a lot lately. It has also destroyed my libido.)
So I am hoping to find some support here. Also have some place I can vent and say what I'm going through. And hopefully find some shared experience, so that I don't feel like I'm going crazy or lose my resolve.

Can anyone tell me what to expect? It's not heavy use, but it's been consistent over a long period of time.

Tried to keep it short, but ask me anything.

Last edited:
Hi there! 5-10 mg a day is really not much at all - it won't be the best time of your life, but kudos to you for getting off it now before it becomes a bigger habit. Hopefully this will be the one time you go through WDs!

Oxy WD is fairly short, comparable to heroin, as opposed to going off methadone or subs. You'll probably start feeling a little sneezy, tired, and have watery eyes and a runny nose on day one. Then you may get the shits or puke - i never really did coming off heroin, more dry heaves. You probably will have a week of bad sleep - if you can get your hands on a benzo, or better yet, clonidine, that can help. NyQuil sometimes helps. Things should turn the corner on the third day. If Kratom is legal in your state it can be a godsend for withdrawal provided you only use it for a couple days.

You'll probably feel a lot of anxiety and depression over this week that you are kicking - ignore it. It's the withdrawal and the drugs talking and while you may have some residual depression and sleep stuff if you get PAWS, it will go away.

With the small habit you have, you can totally pawn this off as a flu type thingy until you get well. But be aware - if you start back up, the withdrawals will be worse, and it will only take a few days of consecutive use for them to kick in.

I've never been on a run for a whole year, that may make things worse, but you do have the low level habit going for you!

Good luck! PM me if you need anything! My first withdrawal was off vicodin after a few months of constant use and I remember it was still very scary. Now that I am a junkie I am an old hand at it. UGH!
8)

The good news is with a habit that size then it isn't going to be too painful, but you will feel it. Hot and cold flushes, restlessness, anxiety, nausea, stomach cramps, depression, fatigue, insomnia, lack of appetite, diahoreaa (sp?)....you could have any of the above. If I had to guess I would say you will probably just get mild symptoms like some anxiety/restlessness/shivers.

Eat well over the weekend, really fill up on calories and vitamins. Don't drink loads of booze, you don't want to be going in to this already feeling rough. There are loads of things you could take to ease symptoms but with a habit that size I would say you are best off just riding it out really as it shouldn't be too bad and most of the things you can take to ease symptoms present considerable risks of one sort or another. Smoke some weed if that's your thing maybe, if you really have to maybe an anti-histamine sleeper of some sort.

This won't be nice but in physical terms it shouldn't be too bad either, you got this.:)

Maybe when you have got through this it is worth considering the communication levels in your relationship. Using for three years daily, you live with your boyfriend and he doesn't know?! I'm not criticising you here but I'm sure you know that isn't right, just something to consider for the future, but one thing at a time eh!

Man I wish that's how low my usage was when I quit. But yeah like every one has said, it's not gonna be the best time but you can definitely get through it. If we all can do it you can too. Just gotta have faith in yourself. I came off a 5 year Oxy and Heroin addiction without any meds or anything. Just the support from the awesome ppl here on BL. You got this

Hi there! 5-10 mg a day is really not much at all - it won't be the best time of your life, but kudos to you for getting off it now before it becomes a bigger habit. Hopefully this will be the one time you go through WDs!

Oxy WD is fairly short, comparable to heroin, as opposed to going off methadone or subs. You'll probably start feeling a little sneezy, tired, and have watery eyes and a runny nose on day one. Then you may get the shits or puke - i never really did coming off heroin, more dry heaves. You probably will have a week of bad sleep - if you can get your hands on a benzo, or better yet, clonidine, that can help. NyQuil sometimes helps. Things should turn the corner on the third day. If Kratom is legal in your state it can be a godsend for withdrawal provided you only use it for a couple days.

You'll probably feel a lot of anxiety and depression over this week that you are kicking - ignore it. It's the withdrawal and the drugs talking and while you may have some residual depression and sleep stuff if you get PAWS, it will go away.

With the small habit you have, you can totally pawn this off as a flu type thingy until you get well. But be aware - if you start back up, the withdrawals will be worse, and it will only take a few days of consecutive use for them to kick in.

I've never been on a run for a whole year, that may make things worse, but you do have the low level habit going for you!

Good luck! PM me if you need anything! My first withdrawal was off vicodin after a few months of constant use and I remember it was still very scary. Now that I am a junkie I am an old hand at it. UGH!
8)

Yes, I lived that life for years until I confused all my lies, people started noticing the pattern of you {"illnesses" and in an addict's mind, the excuse makes sense, but once you get clean you will reliaze that you fooled no one but yourself. Its hard living a double life. esp when the drug is your #1 llve. Get help while it's still early. It takes so much more courage to come clean than to go down this road that will never end well. Your family loves you, and they will continue to love you and get you all the help that you need. If I would go back, I'd have asked for help and saved a LOT of embarassament, money , and shame. Don't be ashamed. You just happend to be one of hte few that had an addictive personality. Maybe go to a therapist first, an additction therparist, and het her take on it. I promise you, the more you let you, the easier it becomes and the feeling of lighting is like nothing you can remember since you were a child. Please don't live the double like. And addicts' life is hard enough. To cover it compltely with lies will make it that much worse and WILL come out in teh end. Good luck to you and I think yo uknow the right thing to dol/

With that small of a habit withdrawals should not be too bad. You may get some flu-like symptoms after a day or two of no use. these should not last more than a week. The big problem will be the mental aspect. Resisting the urge to say "Oh, I can pop a few pills once a week and I'll be fine", or "Just one more time". Just know that once you are clean for a while it may take a while to get back to normal in the mental aspect, but it is worth it for your health and the people that you care about. I'm currently going through poppy tea withdrawal myself, I'm on day 4, ache all over, have emotional breakdowns (realizing how selfish I've been), but I can tell I'm improving.

So just stick with it and stay clean! Give some updates if you're so inclined!

Thanks so much for the thoughtful replies.
Just got past day 1, which started with the worst hangover from partying the night before. So, comparatively, I felt *great* by the end of Day 1, haha. Anyway, I slept like the dead last night. I think it's day 3 & 4 that are going to be the toughest, because I've "tried" before and haven't got past those days. Committed this time. (Hence the post on here.)

Last edited:
With that small of a habit withdrawals should not be too bad. You may get some flu-like symptoms after a day or two of no use. these should not last more than a week. The big problem will be the mental aspect. Resisting the urge to say "Oh, I can pop a few pills once a week and I'll be fine", or "Just one more time". Just know that once you are clean for a while it may take a while to get back to normal in the mental aspect, but it is worth it for your health and the people that you care about. I'm currently going through poppy tea withdrawal myself, I'm on day 4, ache all over, have emotional breakdowns (realizing how selfish I've been), but I can tell I'm improving.

So just stick with it and stay clean! Give some updates if you're so inclined!

This is so close to what I have been doing and where I am now. The bf just thought I liked to have fun with the stuff every couple weeks, but didn't realize I used daily. Lying through omission is still lying. All my rationalizations seem so weak of character, which has not been a flaw of mine in the past, so, yeah, ashamed of that. It's like my voice has finally become stronger than the voices in my head telling me it's ok for this, that, or the other reason.
Good luck to you, the body aches are the thing that has broken my resolve in the past, so I can relate.

I have been through a large Oxy habit withdrawal and it wasn't pleasant, as others hace said you should be Ok with the size of your habit.

The thing to watch out for is relapse - getting clean is the easy part, but once WD is over it's very tempting to go back to having fun with the stuff once in a while, and before you know it you're back to square one.

Good luck :)

I've been opiod/opiate user for 20 years and while dosage does matter in wds it's the amount of time you've been doing them more so.It will be uncomfortable and your mind will try to rationalize getting more you need to be strong and nip it now.Though the physical wds are real most is in your head making it feel worse then it is.Case in point I tried kicking on my own at home countless times and in my mind it was unbearable but that's because I knew if I needed it could score. I went to prison after being on methadone maintenance(60 mg a day) and it sucked but wasn't as intense as when I was free(I knew I couldn't get anything). Try to keep occupied and don't dwell on feeling like crap,it's basically the flu except you can't sleep and your legs get the kicks,bicycles,or rls(whatever you want to call it). When you comeback from the trip you might want to get professional help for post acute wds to me that's tougher then physical but they've came light years ahead in treating this. I wish you luck and hope you make it I know you can. Oh and your libido will comeback in the beginning it will be on overdrive,your boyfriend won't complain.

Last edited:
... I wish you luck and hope you make it I know you can. Oh and your libido will comeback in the beginning it will be on overdrive,your boyfriend won't complain.

Haha. No, he won't. Thanks for the helpful info/ support..The loss of libido has probably put the most strain on us. How long before that comes back, typically?

Mine was in overdrive once acute withdrawal was over which is typically 7-10 days,it's like your body is trying to make up for lost time.

Mine was in overdrive once acute withdrawal was over which is typically 7-10 days,it's like your body is trying to make up for lost time.

Mine is still in overdrive lol and it's been quite a while. 6 years with a sorry excuse for a sex drive...I've got a lot to make up for. Doesn't help that my gf lives 4 hours away and I only get to see her once a month for a week at the most

@namnoc16: Thank God. Can't wait. haha. Anyhow, Day 2 just went off without a hitch. Feeling pretty good actually. Maybe it's my optimism about the whole situation.

That's awesome to hear you're feeling pretty good, but like previous poster said, the struggle is going to be STAYING clean...I swore I'd never touch a pill again, and I didn't, for years...now I'm back to square one...personally I've realized I cannot dabble AT ALL, you may be different but always keep it in mind?

Very true, Roxy. Day 3: Just woke up at 4:30 am, with the sneezes and runny nose. Not too bad, though. I'm just taking care of stuff around the house before work.

Very true, Roxy. Day 3: Just woke up at 4:30 am, with the sneezes and runny nose. Not too bad, though. I'm just taking care of stuff around the house before work.

Hang in there, you're doing great, good luck with the work and rest of day 3!

So far, the anxiety about quitting has been worse than the quitting. But just on the beginning of Day 4 here. Feeling good about things. Thanks for all the support.

The anxiety always is the worse part,I'm trying to tell another guy on his post the samething. Positive mental attitude is the biggest key(shit sound like Mr. Rogers) because even though you feel it physically addiction is more mental. I'm glad to hear your doing well and I'm sure you know this but 3-5 days of detox is usually peak physical symptoms(usually day 3 is the worse) so you are almost out of the dark stuff.It sounds(lucky for you) that it' hasn't been to dark,I'm so glad but just keep in mind if you ever think of using again each withdrawal gets worse. Have fun on your trip!

Blergh. Boyfriend argument. Stupid small stuff. Not tempted to use. But it is very clear to me why his attitude makes me want to escape. Anyhow, day 5, doing ok. My restless 4 am energy has disappeared. (I kinda liked it, haha)