• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

NMDA antagonists for tolerance, a collection of the evidence and anecdotal reports

Has anyone using Xanax experienced a lowered tolerance when taking DXM in the form of Robitussin cough syrup?

Thanks

Also could the combination of DXM Syrup & Mirtazapine still work at lowering tolerance as i sometimes use it for sleep. Mirtazapine is an antagonist/inverse agonist at the following receptors:

* 5-HT2A receptor
* 5-HT2B receptor
* 5-HT2C receptor
* 5-HT3 receptor
* 5-HT7 receptor

I'm on my first day of a dxm regimen.. took 60 mg XR.. will take 60 again later today. Might try 90 mg's tomorrow, see how that goes.

edit: The stuff makes me drowsy :( I'll see if it does the same thing tomorrow.

Last edited:
I'm on my first day of a dxm regimen.. took 60 mg XR.. will take 60 again later today. Might try 90 mg's tomorrow, see how that goes.

edit: The stuff makes me drowsy :( I'll see if it does the same thing tomorrow.

DXM makes me drowsy too, so this is my concern.

I would really like to know that if taking 60mg at night for 14 days would be the same for tolerance reversal as 60mg twice a day for 7 days..

i wonder, how much DXM should i take daily to avoid building a tolerance to Phenibut? How much do i need?

I was wondering, some of you guys are talking about Delsym, which has 30mg DXM HBr. That's equivalent to 22,5 mg's dextromethorphan.

The type I take called "DARO" has 40 mg's DXM HBr. That's equivalent to 30 mg's DXM.. I take 80 mg's time-released HBr DXM. (60 mg of actual DXM)

So when you guys are saying you take 60 mg's you are only taking 45 mg's? I dunno, I don't like to take it during the day because it makes me too drowsy. At night is fine though.

Getting these caps is a pain in the ass too.. I don't like to lie.

Are NMDA-receptors connected in any way to libido? I seem to be getting a big hard boner all the time :) ...

^well your using it for ritalin right? I don't know about ritalin but other dopamine drugs sure can cause hyper sexuality so maybe its boosting that aspect?

The thing is, I am not using methylphenidate at this moment. I am abstaining from it as long as I'm taking the dxm

I took DXM nightly (about 200mg) for a year and didn't even know it was recreational. It wasn't until I told some kid that I had a huge bag of DXM powder that I ever took it recreationally.

It is most definitely incredibly useful for lowering tolerance. I went down in my dosage of Dexedrine and got back the motivational/anti-depressant effects.

I'm taking it twice a day again. 30 mg's during the day and 60 at night.. Works fine like this.

@adhd1921

200 mg's seems like a hefty dose, is this 200 mg's of the Hydrobromide salt? I don't think I can take such a dose without getting some weird effects.. 80 mg's makes me feel a little drowsy already.

Last edited:
Mbrace, as MeDieViL stated above, that the NMDA antagonist benefit should remain, so would you really need to take the DXM so close to the MDMA?

Maybe first try the DXM 60mg 2x/day for a week for tolerance reversal/upregulation and then wait a week (or more) before you roll?

SOoooo - What is the half-life of DXM (source robitussin DXM hbr)? I've seen conflicting info - 5 hours / 30 hours...? Is one week after cessation of DXM long enough to wait before taking mdma? One day? Two days? Sorry if this has been covered, it would be great to get some sourced information on this.

Well on the bottle it says "wait two weeks after stopping the MAOI drug", so I would imagine you can't go wrong if you wait two weeks.

Two weeks is what I generally use as a rule of thumb for most things; as long as you are not doing anything else that would cause downregulation or tolerance, then even longer should work too I would imagine.

Upped Alprazolam dose on some days as i had to so cant give accurate answer but for the most part DXM in the form of Robitussin 60mg twice a day seemed to work. I will give this another go in about a week

As a once off. would having 600mg of DXM one night reverse tolerance?

I frequently hear about people never getting effects off of small doses of hydrocodone after developing a considerable opioid habit. My habit peaked at 100 mg oxycodone. After tapering, I'm still able to get high off of 15 mg hydrocodone.

I take huperzine a (NMDA antagonist)400 mcg daily, dextromethorphan polistirex (NMDA antagonist) 120 mg daily, and melatonin(Nitric oxide synthase inhibitor) 3 mg daily. Probably each one of these plays some role in my high resistance to developing tolerance.

I took 150 mg of dxm in total yesterday, all of it near the end of the day..

During the day I took a total of 90 mg's mph, because I had to work.. Today is the last day that I will be off my meds. I plan to take as much dxm as possible without adverse effects. I will let you guys know tomorrow how the MPH is working.

Hey Bluelight, been lurking for a while here but I've decided it's time to contribute my experience in regards to this interesting topic.

The only NMDA antagonist I have experience with is Memantine, which I began using to help curb my growing Adderall tolerance (RX'd 20mg XR x 2). For this purpose I've found it to be quite effective, and at only 10mg per day. My tolerance dropped drastically after a short break from the stimulant. The Adderall also feels smoother and less "moreish". The comedown is also less intense.

Now I'm hoping it will aid me in kicking my current Valium addiction. I recently crossed over from Klonopin (approx 1-2mg daily for a year) and I'm close to completely stablized on 15mg Diaz per day. I've bumped up my Memantine to 15mg (7.5 AM, 7.5 PM). I know that's a low dose but the brain fog can be pretty intense for me. Once that clears up I'll start the taper, see how things go, and update on my progress. Let the fun begin :).

Good luck man.. I wish I had memantine.. Took a little too much dex yesterdaynight and it took me 3 hours to really fall asleep because I was borderline tripping. Took my mph dose just now, will let you guys know when I get back from work.

Il be trying low MXE doses (5-10mg) every 3 hours soon as a replacement for memantine.