• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Harm Reduction Nitrous Oxide (NOS) causing hand/knuckle swelling

dizzycat234

Greenlighter
SWIM has recently been enjoying NOS (balloons and whippets) at EDM events. SWIM has noticed that after using NOS, his hands start to swell. There seems to be a direct correlation between the use of NOS and this effect. The swelling lasts through the following morning and sometimes takes up to a few days to fully subside. The swelling sensation is similar to how ankles and hands swell up on/after long international flights. This side effect is uncomfortable and ultimately prohibitive. taking copious amounts of B12 does not fix the situation. Raising hands into the air insignificantly and temporarily relieves a little pressure.

Thoughts:
1) The body is not filtering out the nitrogen efficiently (any supplements that can help?)
2) Googling indicated that the liver and kidneys help with this filtering, so maybe one of those is lagging behind and can be boosted?

Any help, brainstorming or suggestions are appreciated.

Nitrous is excreted through the lungs. Liver and kidneys are not involved in this process (although I would be interested if you had a source that says otherwise). What bit that isn't excreted by lungs breaks down into oxygen and nitric oxide. Nitric oxide is a short lived vasodilator (like the molecule breaks down in seconds because it is a radical).

*hand wavey explanation alert*

The vasodilation could be triggering some kind of longer acting issue though. It could also be a perceptual thing from the pharnacology. I would doubt b12 depletion, just because that is an issue seen with more chronic use. (if really worried go to a doc and get a basic blood panel. If you have signs of pernicious anemia you could assume you have chronically low b12).

Idk about this but I still have some maybe scars from freezing My hand in 3 spots using one of those cheap $5 crackers, a month later.

Nitrous oxide is associated with idiopathic oedema, i would avoid it if you experience this. Nitrous oxide is more dangerous than people give it credit for (and this is coming from someone who has abused it extensively in the past -- I had a 3 box a day habit for a while).