• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Nitrazepam vs Zolpidem

Olivert

Greenlighter
Hi all, first message so not sure how all works but my question is are there any problems or difference if I swop from 15mg nitrazepam to 7.5/10 Zolpidem?

10mg Zolpiden is less potent than 15mg nitrazepam, and Nitrazepam is an intermediate acting nitro benzodiazepine - it last longer

Note that, converters vary, though mostly agree that nitrazepam is about twice as potent as zolpiden

~10mg Nitrazepam (7.5-15) = Roughly 15-20mg Zolpidem, very roughly

Both are used as hypnotics, although Zolpidem, and Zopiclone and the like, are considered “non-Benzodiazepine” Z drugs, though really they are basically just mild-moderate, yet selective Psuedo - Benzodiazepines, that are typically more effective as sedative hypnotics at lower equivalent doses. Nonetheless, 7.5 - 10mg is simply not enough to convert; you would need 22.5-30mg Zolpidem, based on converters; you could start at 50-75% of the dose and find how that works, then adjust as necessary - So you could swap them at equivalent doses, or similar, then raise the dose if necessary. They are slightly different. You may be better off with a different sleep med, or at least a secondary one, unless 1~15(or 20) mg is effective, and Ambien is typically better for falling asleep, as opposed to staying asleep and nighttime awakenings

/ Hope this helps some

Zolpidem can also cause weird ass hallucinations of a dissociative sort of kind, a sort of trance/waking dream-like and highly amnestic state. Can make people act out plenty fucked up too if they stay awake on it. Nitrazepam lasts a good deal longer, and as mentioned is a good deal stronger. Of the two, I definitely prefer nitrazepam. Although could just be me, I've always vastly preferred the nitrobenzodiazepines when it comes to benzos.

Biggest thing to point out is when preparing to take your Ambien, get your mind and body ready for sleep. I know that sounds obvious but... Chill out, be in a place to fall asleep and just let it happen. Don't try to stay awake! Yes, it can be done but Ambien really works pretty well if you do these things (I actually speak from experience when it comes to Ambien!). All in all you'll have a better experience and you won't run the chance of seriously hurting yourself by falling or whatever. Good luck!

Ok, just worried my wife said when I took diazepam I was shouting out and dreaming so didn?t want same effects! Also heard easier to slowly curt down on zolpidem? And thanks for the replies

ambien is wayy better than any nitrazepam ive ever taken period

Yeah, with zolpidem, you better either be in bed, or at the most, munching a quick snack for supper or a quick drink (nonalcoholic) etc. Otherwise, since it kicks in fairly fast, and you run the risk of going stark raving bat shit for the next several hours and potentially acting out and doing some fucked up shit.

As for ambien being way better....I can't say as I rate the Z-drugs that greatly. Zolpidem at least is effective, not long acting enough for my tastes though, and there is the potential for things to go south and you to go ape waste in a hurry. Zolpidem is again too short acting, I don't find it very reliable, can leave a funny taste in the mouth, and I get weird auditory hallucinations trying to get to sleep, sudden boinging, pinging, plinking, snapping noises etc. The sort of thing you'd get in a looney tunes cartoon with a gigantic spring twanging.

And zaleplon? don't even get me started. No use, what.so.ever. Might as well be powdered sugar, I've tried an entire box, meant to last a month, in one go. What happened? nothing. Nothing whatsoever. I couldn't even sleep.No recreational effects, no sedative effects, no anxiolytic effects. I might as well have swallowed a fart in a jar.

Last night, couldn't sleep for the fuck of me. A tab of nitrazepam plus a chlormethiazole capsule worked wonders, had taken the last dose of my pain meds earlier in the day, feeling a bit rough, was awaiting a 'special delivery' of several hundred methadone tablets (which arrived with perfect timing, just seconds after I awoke), and at that from a nice, long, relaxing sleep, vegetating on the sofa.

I have been using zolpidem since 2009. I would go drive, cook, post to Facebook, all the crazy shit you read about. Sometime around 2011 Ambien CR went generic meaning my insurance would cover it without prior auths or quantity limits. To this day, zolpidem ER puts me to sleep and stay asleep. 6.25mg are released instantly with the other 6.25mg slowly released overnight. I avoided the crazy side effects of 10mg IR and it lasts - for me - about 5 to 6 hours. I’ll add in 1mg of klonopin as needed. I’ve never heard of the other medication named above so can’t comment.

Sonata and Lunesta (other Z hypnotics) were nowhere as effective. And, zolpidem helped me through a brief unexpected benzo withdrawal. I can take 8mg of klonopin and will lay wide awake; I can’t sing enough zolpidem’s praises.

Thanks everyone- seems best to just slowly come off nitrazepam. Maybe by 1/2 a pill a week? Seems to work better with alcohol so maybe try without alcohol first, then start to cut down ?

So if I want to stop nitrazepam what does everyone think I should go onto ? On around 15mg but can’t seem to find any online ?