• MDMA &
    Empathogenic
    Drugs

Welcome Guest!
  • MDMA Moderators:

Nightmare MDMA Trip - Explanation, please?

Valleyz

Greenlighter
Hi, everyone. I’m a new poster here, so sorry if this is in the wrong place or whatever.

Basically, I’d like some insight into what happened to me on the night of my last Mandy trip (mid-August). What happened to me has put me off the drug for life and kickstarted some serious anxiety I’m only now getting to grips with.

For context, I’m fairly experienced with the drug, having taken it around 20 times before this trip, all of which except two, this trip included, were great experiences.

The night started out fine. I took 100mg dose to start and was having a great time with my friends at a house party. Roughly two hours in, I dropped another 75mg and did a line an hour or so after. I was keeping well hydrated with both water and isotonic sports drinks.

At one point, however, the night started to take a turn. I was around my friends, who were smoking weed and were pinging really hard, and I was just talking the normal mdma nonsense with them. Suddenly, however, I noticed my short term memory was completely gone. I was zoning out into spaces and completely forgetting what I just said and struggled to keep up with conversations, but not in a funny sort of way. I felt dazed and then, suddenly, I was hit with a massive wave of anxiety. I became paranoid - no, convinced - that I was acting sketchy and creeping everyone out. My friend’s didn’t let on that anything was amiss, but I was convinced I was just spouting sketchy nonsense which gave me huge amounts of anxiety.

Of course, there was little to no way of me being sure of my behaviour as my memory was totally gone. I’d forget events seconds after them happening, so I had no way of confirming my behaviour. I excused myself and my friends carried on talking amongst themselves. I locked myself in a bedroom and began to panic, but then the really scary stuff started to happen to me.

I grew extremely lethargic - not the comedown kind, more exhausted - and I began to shiver violently even though the room was warm. I’d space off into the wall and forget where I even was. I’d leave the room to pee, realise I couldn’t pee, then walk back to the room, only to forget that I tried to pee a few seconds ago and walk back to the bathroom. I got caught in that loop roughly 8 times before realising I was just doing the same thing over and over. Eventually I couldn’t keep my eyes open, I felt too weak to move, shivering and panicking that I’d completely freaked my friends out. Physically, I felt terrible - it felt like I was blacking out for a few seconds, getting colder and colder. I felt my heart rate at one point and could not find my pulse, which probably didn’t help the anxious part of me.

I called my girlfriend, and she became worried about my physical health. I’d trail off in the middle of a sentence, forget where I was going, and stop talking. She’d ask me basic questions like “who is at the party?”, “what have you done?”, “where are you?” and I could not answer them. Eventually I started repeating conversations with her, but the convo ended when my phone died.

Eventually, my friend walked in and talked to me like normal, just normal Mandy stuff. I felt a bit more grounded and told him I felt ill, and then he did say I looked pale. He left and came back with some food and I felt a bit better after that, but still shaken.

The next morning I asked two of my mates if I was acting weird, and they said no, but I was so utterly convinced I was acting weird. My girlfriend - who I FaceTimed - told me I just looked “tired and out of it”, but I was convinced I was weirding her out, too. I’ve done high amounts of acid before and never had a bad trip, but this relatively small dosage of Mandy gave me the worst trip of my life. The combination of anxiety and physical weakness was horrid.

Does anyone have any insight in what happened to me? I know the mental symptoms can be explained by anxiety, but what about the physical ones? It’s put me off my favourite drug for months now and it has even effected my relationship with my friends as I was so worried I freaked them all out.

When I think back to that night it just fills me with anxiety, and because I have no way to know of my behaviour with certainty, there’s no way to alleviate it.

Cheers for any advice. Sorry it’s so long, I tried to condense it best I could.

Hey my friend.
It sounds like a panic attack.
And MDMA can make you zone out.
It happened to me multiple times.
I wouldnt worry about it if I were you maybe test your E to make sure you dont take too high dosages.

^Yip, pretty much this.

What many people don't seem to know about is that the MDMA experience is characterised by two separate stages, and when people don't get what they expect, they seem to sometimes freak out, even though the second stage is relatively harmless.

• Stage 1: Happy, euphoric, connecting with friends, hugging, etc. Up and active with dilated pupils, laughing, talking about deep/different/fun stuff. This is the textbook MDMA experience as is often portrayed by out culture. It is usually caused by lower-moderate doses.
  • Stage 2: You tend to find yourself sitting/lying on whatever surface is available, with your teeth chattering excessively and sometimes your eyes roll into the back of your head. Weird random concepts will flit through your mind and sometimes you will connect them together in a jumbled sentence and blurt them out. Cognitive hallucinations are common at this stage, and you might act out simple and bizarre scenarios, such as talking to somebody who isn't there or thinking that you are at work. You might also briefly hallucinate objects or people who are not there. It is a very delirious, euphoric and rushy state, but it is by its nature very confusing, and can catch you off guard and be quite intense. It is usually caused by moderate to high doses of MDMA.

It sounds like you entered stage 2. This can happen by taking a higher dose, or sometimes it just happens to hit you harder on certain days. Weed can also trigger it, and certain people seem more susceptible.

Whilst it is generally nothing to worry about, it is important to know about, and if you don't, you might end up thinking that something is wrong. I think that this is what happened to you.

In short, your friends probably thought you were just a bit high ecstasy, and that it was fairly normal and they didn't consider it as a big deal. They might have even laughed, but only in a completely normal and harmless manner. It's not as if these are grounds for dismissing somebody as a friend, at all, and they probably didn't even consider that. Meanwhile you thought you'd fucked up and started getting anxious and worked yourself into a panic attack, and your actions created a kind of feedback loop whereby you thought things were worse than they were.

Eventually, my friend walked in and talked to me like normal, just normal Mandy stuff. I felt a bit more grounded and told him I felt ill, and then he did say I looked pale. He left and came back with some food and I felt a bit better after that, but still shaken.

^Here we can see that your friend was totally cool with you and looking out for you. He had your back, as did the others presumably.

it has even effected my relationship with my friends as I was so worried I freaked them all out.

It hasn't, you just think it has. It only effects your relationship with them if you allow it to do so by acting weird towards them/avoiding them and thinking that you fucked up. You didn't, you took a drug and experienced one of the primary effects. Your friends seem to know that. You know how ecstasy teaches people to be more open? Use that to your advantage. Talk to your friends about it and be open. Don't bottle it up. I can 100% guarantee they will tell you it's not a big deal. Ask them what they thought, and trust them. They sound like good friends.

Last edited:
I gotta second what trance said.. It seems if your not aware this type of thing can and does happen (typically from increased MDMA to MDA metabolism from redosing amongst other things) then it could very well freak you out. Other people actually enjoy these types of experiences believe it or not.

-GC

I gotta second what trance said.. It seems if your not aware this type of thing can and does happen (typically from increased MDMA to MDA metabolism from redosing amongst other things) then it could very well freak you out. Other people actually enjoy these types of experiences believe it or not.

-GC

Where I come from every body only uses MDMA in doses that get you to stage 2 in 20 minutes from first dose. Usually that means doing up to a half gram at once just to get things started.
Everybody with white, rolled back eyes, gurning face, swollen cracked lips, neck tilting back in sync with the waves of ecstacy, breathing in through flared nostrils end exhaling with moans or other weird sound, constantly ending in loops, forgetting what they were speaking about mid sentence, realistic hallucinations, and all the rest.
When effects go down a bit, redose with 100/200mg lines multiple times to keep the madness going.
My first time I dropped 400mgs with a few close friends on the same dose we ventured into a forest at nighttime, was pure delirium, resembling more the stories of people doing meth 4 days straight or more, plus ridiculous empathy, we had the same hallucination in a group all together at the same time, multiple times, I was seeing metal fences here and there but walking through them, we climbed up and down inclines so steep we had to go on all fours and dig the fingers in the ground 2 knuckles deep.
The temp was just above freezing, I was in a t shirt and sweating significantly, I even stayed with my feet in a pool of water and thought it was warmish, I had my socks on didn't even squeeze the water out, put the shoes back on and when I checked next morning when almost sober they had basically dried due to my body's temp.
We were ripping the bong consuming the whole medium size bowl till we sucked the ashes in the water in just one hit, like it was a breath of fresh air.

Believe me, we enjoyed the experience very much, but comedown sucked big time. After 5 Saturdays like that in a row the comedown sucked way more, and lasted me a good 6 months straight. Used that time to inform myself on how drugs work and what is HR and responsible use.

-GC
I can only echo this. The hallucinations I sometimes get from MDMA are among the most fun and most lifelike ones I ever experienced. And this is coming from someone much more experienced in hallucinogens than in empathogens. And like Tranced mentioned, for me weed is the trigger. Without it, it doesn't happen, with (lots of) it I have a very pleasant mini-trip at the tail end of my roll. Once you get used to the kind of dark vibe these hallucinations have, they can be very fun and breathtakingly beautiful. Especially when coupled with being a complete imbecil for about an hour, not even able to grasp the simplest concepts. I described them in detail in a previous post. I'll see if I can dig it up later. Love that feeling

It does tend to happen in high(ish) doses yes, but the amount of MDMA needed to trip at the tail end of a roll seems to have decreased over the years for me. I used to never get them. Then about 10 years ago I did about 800mg of lab tested pills in one night (yes, stupid, I know) which triggered an initially seriously frightening trip which turned pleasant once I realized I wasn't actually dying. And after that night, I started to get hallucinations on progressively lower doses. Today I get them starting at around 180mg+lots of weed

I was saying it somewhat sarcastically (I know doesn't translate well) but with that said I typically use MDMA for stage 1 effects. If I wanna be trippin nuts in a way only high doses of empathogenic bliss can do I'll take MDA or mix in some Mescaline. I love that state too, I just feel dosing large quantities of MDMA to get there is wasteful and probably more dangerous neurotoxicity wise than the alternatives, especially Mescaline being about as benign as they come.

To be fair I suppose in the UK MDA is not easy to find or cheap (which is hard to understand quite frankly) whereas in the US its prevalent and cheaper than MDMA. Around here it's much wiser to just consume 150-200mg MDA or MDMA/MDA combo and get into a nearly identical state.

-GC

I took 100mg dose to start and was having a great time with my friends at a house party. Roughly two hours in, I dropped another 75mg and did a line an hour or so after.
How much MDMA did the line contain?
How do you know it was MDMA at all?