Nicotine withdrawal is the worst of them all!

deadendgame

Bluelighter
I've been through all them withdrawal, but I find nicotine withdrawal the worst. Knowing that this shit is killing me, I still end up doing it. And nicotine and caffeine go hand in hand. Whenever I drink more caffeine, my urge to smoke goes up. The withdrawal is not physical, it's definitely psychological. Like if I tried to go a whole night without nicotine, my mind will literally think about nicotine the whole time. I think it's some kind of ADD because I literally can't focus on anything except getting my next fix. And if it's bad enough, I won't be able to sleep either because I think about smoking all the time. On days when I abstain from caffeine, I'm a light smoker, like maybe 1 or 2. But on days when I consume a high amount of caffeine, nicotine goes along with it and I suddenly just became a chain smoker. Yes, I do want to die young, but not from this! Someone plz help!

The only thing that saved me from smoking was to switch to a good e-cig. You'll need a serious bit of kit so it's worth forking out and getting a good sub-ohm device. Since I switched over a year ago I've never looked back. No more stinky house / clothes / me, health has improved (breathing massively). Can't recommend them enough.

Stimulants will definitely increase cravings to smoke. I use to chain-smoke on adhd meds. Whenever I stopped them, I would quit smoking too.

Yeah it sucks but I promise you it's not the worst. E-cig would be your solution if it's so hard for you to quit cold turkey.

Nicotine is far from the worst withdrawal given the right set and setting. Start taking anything amphetamine based and you are bound to want to smoke. Add in the legality, the fact you can just walk in a shop and buy not one but 20/100 however many you want, and it becomes harder. Drink alcohol want nicotine. Cut all these things out, get a doctor to tell you you're blocking your arteries and have every chance of having your leg amputated...makes things a bit easier. Surprising effect the word amputation can have on the mind when you realise it's being talked in realistic terms about you rather than on some generic soap opera or medical drama you're watching on TV.

I'll give advice on this even though I have quit multiple times and have my new quit date set for 19 Sept 2016 (tomorrow lol) :p

Most people that intend to quit with the ecig end up replacing their old nicotine habit with the ecig. Quitting the ecig can be as difficult as the original habit for some - not all, many people have been successful with the ecig but keep in mind you may be transferring the addiction. I have tried both Chantix and Wellbutrin and quit on both the first time fairly easily. Chantix made me suicidally depressed the first week but I finally evened out. Wellbutrin for me was speedier than coke, but it worked well the first time. I recently tried it for three weeks a week ago and as this was my first time trying it sober it was like legal speed without any dopamine response. It decimated my sleep cycle which is why I am typing this at 0200. Nicotine patches have served me well, and that is the route I am going to take tomorrow. I have managed to quit nicotine in the past for months at a time and this is what I've learned so far.

1. Break every single association you have with cigarettes. Do not use nicotine inside of anything, not your house, your friend's, bar, or car. Make it inconvenient. If you pair caffine and nicotine, stop. If you have nicotine when you first wake up stop and do some of your morning routine first before you have nicotine, or set a time, for instance wait an hour. If you have nicotine directly after eating, again postpone it - go for a walk first or clean something. Keep yourself occupied at all times. Break your associations. That makes a world of difference. Also, if you have a craving brush your teeth or use mouth wash.

2. If you find yourself ruminating over nicotine try nicotine replacement (patch, gum, lozenge). I have been able to use the patch to quit. For nicotine replacement to really work I found initially the replacement levels of nicotine have to be slightly higher than your average consumption. They recommend one a day but I absolutely stick two of those babies on my ass first thing in the morning on my quit date, one on each cheek. DO NOT BUY GENERIC PATCHES. I have tried generic patches from both CVS and Wallgreens and they literally do nothing. I was so desperate one time I actually chewed one...tasted gross and still nothing In the interest of harm reduction, please do not chew patches...it was a moment of weakness, I was drunk, I was desperate (couldn't drive for smokes, store was too far to walk), I was stupid, and above all very lucky that they don't work. I actually have 40 patches from CVS languishing at my house now. I thought I would be slick and get a script for patches to save money. My husband picked them up and wouldn't you know it, $80 for gd CVS patches that do nothing, I can't even return them (so upset). But Nicoderm, they stay active for 48 hours.

I quit using patches on this rotation:

Day 1: 2 fresh patches - took one off before bed, left one on for evening withdrawl and morning cravings

Day 2: Left Day 1's patch on and applied 2 new patches. Removed Day 1's patch before bed, went to sleep with both of Day 2's patches on.

Day 3: left both of Day 2's patches on applied one fresh patch. Removed 1 of Day 2's patches before going to bed.

Day 4: removed second Day 2 patch left Day 3's patch on and applied one fresh patch. Removed Day 2's patch before bed.

Day 5: removed Day 3's patch and applied fresh patch. Removed Day 4's patch before bed.

I repeated the above for a few days (just wear one old and one new patch) until nicotine was not entering my mind. Once I was not thinking about it I worse one 21mg patch a day, slept with it on, left it on for an hour after I applied the new patch (takes some time for fresh patches to kick in) then removed it when the fresh patch kicked in.

This may not be something everybody should try as you can OD on nicotine. This worked for me because I consumed a large quantity of nicotine. In order for patches to work for me initially the level of nicotine in my system has to be a little too high. It doesn't feel good, nausea is an issue, but there are zero cravings. All of the above were done with 21 mg patches. I used a similar method on the step down to 14 mg patches, and then with the 7 mg patches. To step off the 7mg patches I wore a fresh patch everyday for the first five days and then let the fifth patch get stale (wore it for three days) before jumping off the patch.

Disclosure - I smoke two to three packs of Marlboro Ultra Light 100's a day when actively drinking. When sober it would range from one to two packs a day. For this to work for me I had to first break all smoking associations and then begin the patch. If one does not use a high level of nicotine consider attempting the above with a lower level patch. Take the time to do the math to figure out you daily and hourly nicotine consumption before arbitrarily sticking patches on yourself as nicotine is actually a pretty powerful stimulant and you can get very ill or die from an overdose. ODing on nicotine is terrible and you can easily identify the process initiating by feeling extreme nausea, light headedness, cold sweat, heart palpatstions, overall fatigue, and a sense of impending doom and panic. If you begin to feel these symptoms remove all patches immediately and drink some water. Within five minutes you should start feeling better. If you do not, or just feel terrible call 911. There could be very real cardiovascular responses so don't take these symptoms lightly and don't try to drive if you think you need the medic.

Didn't intend to write this much, sorry for the novel. Will say this, it takes twelve hours for nicotine to leave your body. The nicotine addiction is really difficult to break, but in terms of withdrawal, it's really not bad. I have quit many substances and I promise you as far as withdrawals go, nicotine withdrawal is very mild and short lived, it's over in a few days...the flu is more unpleasant. If you are really struggling with symptoms try Lobelia inflata as that will help minimize them. Please keep us updated and good luck!

It's a valid point, the e-cig only got me away from smoking, not nicotine. I'm happy enough with that though, I honestly don't want to quit nicotine really. Up until some concrete revelation that e-cig steam affects health terribly in some way, this is where I intend to stay.

My husband started the ecig after I had quit - I couldn't be around the vapor, it dried out my throat immediately and made be cough more than cigarettes. He was using it for a month and his voice started getting raspy and horse...I have a feeling the studies are not going to be in the favour of health. On top of that, you have a bunch of plastic pieces that are near a heat source that gets hot enough to cape liquid, along with batteries. I'm pretty certain these things are harmful, just different chems than cigarettes perhaps? I think the safest bet would probably be nicotine patches lol. Personally, I just want to quit the nicotine. Just my opinion, not backed by science but I think people are finally beginning to realize the dangers of plastics. I never dealt with them before moving to the states when I was young, and honestly they creeped me out as a kid and the do as an adult. Plastics and heat do not mix. Of course for perspective, I'm also creeped out by the microwave...I think it denatures all the beneficial nutrients in my veggies. If it weren't for the fact that my kitchen has a spot for one over the range, I wouldn't have one, but it makes the kitchen look nice lol.

That doesn't sound right at all, sounds like vaping at too high a temp if it was roasting his throat. The only time I've had anything remotely like that was when the temp accidentally got set way too high.

There's no plastic to be burnt on a good atomiser. Mine are made of stainless steel, mounted on more stainless steel and glass. Other than that, the only thing there is is two rubber o-rings with a heat coil that only touches cotton. Fair enough, if you fired it dry you'd stand a chance of burning a little cotton, but that's unlikely to happen, especially with a tank. This goes back to what I was saying about forking out for something of good quality. I can't speak for cheap e-cigs, maybe they contain plastic, and yeah - I'd steer clear of that

In not saying they're risk free, just infinitely less risky than smoking. I can attest to that, Ive started one of those hardcore fitness training camp things, and there's no chance I'd have hacked it as a smoker. These things have been endorsed by the NHS and might even get offered on prescription in the not too distant. That's good enough for me until there's any further info, I enjoy vaping as I enjoyed smoking. Knee jerk 'it' s got to be bad' reactions don't seem helpful.

Stimulants will definitely increase cravings to smoke. I use to chain-smoke on adhd meds. Whenever I stopped them, I would quit smoking too.

I am the same way, only smoking when I'm high and never crave it when I'm not. It's my tell... Damned if I do. Damned if I don't.

That doesn't sound right at all, sounds like vaping at too high a temp if it was roasting his throat. The only time I've had anything remotely like that was when the temp accidentally got set way too high.

There's no plastic to be burnt on a good atomiser. Mine are made of stainless steel, mounted on more stainless steel and glass. Other than that, the only thing there is is two rubber o-rings with a heat coil that only touches cotton. Fair enough, if you fired it dry you'd stand a chance of burning a little cotton, but that's unlikely to happen, especially with a tank. This goes back to what I was saying about forking out for something of good quality. I can't speak for cheap e-cigs, maybe they contain plastic, and yeah - I'd steer clear of that

In not saying they're risk free, just infinitely less risky than smoking. I can attest to that, Ive started one of those hardcore fitness training camp things, and there's no chance I'd have hacked it as a smoker. These things have been endorsed by the NHS and might even get offered on prescription in the not too distant. That's good enough for me until there's any further info, I enjoy vaping as I enjoyed smoking. Knee jerk 'it' s got to be bad' reactions don't seem helpful.

That's interesting, I didn't realize they had capes without a lot of plastic components. His device was inexpensive - just a quick means to quit so I know it wasn't top of the line. The ones I used were disposable ecigs, they were the size and shape of a regular smoke. There could be differences in equipment between countries. I know the ones I "smoked" were primarily plastic. I understand knee jerk reactions are helpful, but let's be honest, absorbing a nicotine laden foreign substance into your lungs is not exactly healthy ;) Some may be better than cigarettes, but chronic irratation to the lungs regardless of the levels of chems/carcinogens exposes one to increase chance of illness and possibly other problems. For the interest of harm reduction, I still say not taking substances through the lungs is the healthiest of options. Of course, if we were all pillars of health Bluelight wouldn't exist ;)

Yeah totally, if I had my time again with what I know now then I'd certainly avoid nicotine entirely.. It's a weird one for me, even though the withdrawal is easy as pie I always end up coming back to it. I think I'm more hooked on the ritual than anything, if I use a low nicotine juice I don't vape any more than the higher ones. And maybe 'knee jerk' was ott of me, if I had experienced burnt plastic and fried lungs then I would decry these things too. But I still reckon a good e-cig is an excellent way to get away from tobacco itself. Hopefully I can get off the e-cig too eventually, I've kicked the poppies this year, maybe this'll be next year's project. :)

Yeah totally, if I had my time again with what I know now then I'd certainly avoid nicotine entirely.. It's a weird one for me, even though the withdrawal is easy as pie I always end up coming back to it. I think I'm more hooked on the ritual than anything, if I use a low nicotine juice I don't vape any more than the higher ones. And maybe 'knee jerk' was ott of me, if I had experienced burnt plastic and fried lungs then I would decry these things too. But I still reckon a good e-cig is an excellent way to get away from tobacco itself. Hopefully I can get off the e-cig too eventually, I've kicked the poppies this year, maybe this'll be next year's project. :)

Parts of this made me giggle. Sometimes I miss the days when cigarettes weren't a priority because I was too busy self destructing on worse substances and everyone was happy if smoking was all that I was doing lol. It really is a tough addiction to quit as nicotine is socially accepted, fairly cheap in the grand scheme, and readily available. However, when all you have left is the nicotine there is literally nothing else left and it's frightening. I really wish I could have quit in rehab but they didn't concern themselves with nicotine, and I have troubles staying stopped as my husband smokes and I smell it on him even though he washes his hands. I do well for a while than I want a drag. This last time I was stopped for over a month, no replacement therapy, no nicotine. Then I got bored and followed him outside while he smoked and asked for a drag, I am my own worst enemy. One of these days.

I used to think nicotine had bad physical withdrawals.. Then I realized it has almost none.. Its just one of the most addictive substances on the planet.

addicted to xanax 10mg and methadone 40mg but nicotine no problem

its weird because i have been smoking cigs for 14 years,,,,, and last weekend i just didnt go out cuz i was extremely busy with family stuff and i didnt smoke one cigarette. and i had monday off. So saturday sunday and monday i had no nicotine....for probably 80 hours. I didnt notice the withdrawl until i had a smoke break at work at 10pm. I bummed a cig and didnt even realize i went that long without one. I guess i just dont like paying 14 dollars a pack for cigs in cook county illinois (chicago). But benzos and methadone are each 8 bux each, for 150 2 mg xanax it is 8 bx and same with 120 methadone 10 mg. weird.

I used to think nicotine had bad physical withdrawals.. Then I realized it has almost none.. Its just one of the most addictive substances on the planet.

I'm pretty sure "kindling" happens with tobacco just like benzos. Quit cigs for over 5 years and recently started having a few every 3-6 weeks on Friday night/ Saturday morning. I only had 4 Marb Reds last Friday/ Saturday. It's been 6 days and today was the worst. Such a dogshit useless waste of a plant.

I agree. I would rather go through fentanyl wd any day over cig wd and ive been through both. Also cigs are alot more destructive then opiates. Atleast opiates dont cause cancer

Champix always works for me but as soon as stress hits i'm running to the store. Was quit but started again last week so gonna try champix again and try to find something to do when i'm craving one. Crazy how cigs and booze are more socially acceptable and legal and causes the worst damage

I agree. I would rather go through fentanyl wd any day over cig wd and ive been through both. Also cigs are alot more destructive then opiates. Atleast opiates dont cause cancer

Mad. I can literally quit smoking by merely getting drunk or on a cocaine session the night before. Can't smoke the next day and that's me. Mabe at worst 2 days withdrawals.

The absolutely worst withdrawals i've had is either xanax or pregablin.