Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

NI - The human cost of the vile drug trade

edgarshade

Bluelighter
Belfast Telegraph

Editor's Viewpoint – 01 July 2013

With reader comments

The sudden deaths of eight people in Northern Ireland, possibly because of the use of drugs, is first and foremost a human tragedy. These people were in their 20s and 30s with much of their life before them, and they will be mourned greatly by their immediate and wider families and by their friends. Tests are continuing to discover whether these deaths were associated with one particular drug or other drugs, possibly in conjunction with alcohol. This tragic situation raises once again the drugs problem which contaminates and sometimes ends the lives of so many people, and it also raises the question as to what society can do about it. The whole drugs scene is something which people outside this culture find difficult to comprehend. The consumption of alcohol, within strict limits, has been one traditional way of enjoying a night out, but the idea of consuming 'recreational' drugs is harder to understand.

This again raises the question as to whether society is much too tolerant of such anti-social behaviour which might be part of a price that is being paid for maintaining the peace. There should be no grounds for such tolerance, nor should the war against the drugs suppliers and pushers be lessened in any way. All possible measures should be taken by the authorities to combat one of the greatest social evils of our time.

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/o...man-cost-of-the-vile-drug-trade-29384681.html

I didn't read the article, but they were probably legal highs mixed with alcohol. Or a bad/adulterated batch of drugs that did this. Legalizing all drugs and providing education and quality control would have prevented this tragedy. Enforcing stricter laws will just make this kind of thing a more common occurrence.

I hate to stereotype the practices of cultures and/or people, but I don't think people would ascribe the consumption of alcohol "within strict limits" as an exactly Irish trait.

Quite the double standard.

When someone calls something a "social evil", I think of attitudes towards homosexuality in the 1950's.

Don't see how this got published. The author clearly didn't do their research.

I hate to stereotype the practices of cultures and/or people, but I don't think people would ascribe the consumption of alcohol "within strict limits" as an exactly Irish trait.

Quite the double standard.

When someone calls something a "social evil", I think of attitudes towards homosexuality in the 1950's.

Don't see how this got published. The author clearly didn't do their research.

Now as with all generalisations one must be careful, but there are a very conservative bunch up the North especial with politics and religion. Those 1950 attitudes to homosexuality are sadly still not that out of place up there.

Of course I could not agree with such shite, but I am not surprised to see such attitudes in print.

I wonder if any of the local drug projects will respond, but even then it just wouldn't be published.

I really think a better title would be "The vile human cost of prohibition".