• S&T Moderators: VerbalTruist | Skorpio | alasdairm

Blockchain NFT Hate Thread

Man, I hate NFT's but I just heard some guy who ran a ju-jitsu (SP?) meme page talking about making 100k from them recently.

It made me hate the people who buy them, but kind of love him and his NFT's. They were so shit too.

It makes me wonder if the future of the internet will be paying for ownership or viewing an NFT. Putting a price and some kind of DRM (presumably) on a JPEG is just so incredibly weird, stupid and wrong.

I really do hope NFT's are not the future. Feels like a testrun for mass licensing.

They had a NFT party/concert in China and used some wrong kind of UV lights instead of normal lights and a bunch of people have burned skin and burned eyes

Same thing happened 6 years ago I guess

F-MC4W3WsAE7meq

NFTs are the modern-day Beanie Babies, only worse. At least with Beanie Babies you got an actual physical object. Worthless of course, but at least it was a tangible thing.

They had a NFT party/concert in China and used some wrong kind of UV lights instead of normal lights and a bunch of people have burned skin and burned eyes

F-MC4W3WsAE7meq

Just curious-- If one of those tubes broke, would there be a risk of breathing in mercury vapor?
If so, that can't be good.

Also, what gasses are in other types of lights (fluorescent, LED, grow lights, etc) ?
The usual gasses in grow lights and florescent bulbs is generally Xenon and Argon to break the vacuum with a metal halide that melts and evaporates to provide the actual plasma (light). Mercury is very seldom used in grow lights because the wavelength of lights is not as good as the MH or Sodium bulbs. The amount of Mercury or MH is quite minimal and I wouldn't sweat exposures.

LEDs have no gasses other than natural atmosphere, just plain air.

F-MC4W3WsAE7meq

Mutahar/someordinarygamers had a pretty good/informative take on this.

I loved the bit where he burst out laughing at the party, but other than that, like I say - some good info/takes, and some good advice, for those effected i.e get to a fucking hospital.

From what I've read, it's very specific wavelengths of UVB and UVC that cause eye damage without causing substantial skin damage at the same time and I've not read any mention of skin damage.

I wonder what lighting was (mis)used?

I also wonder who is legally responsible because the BAYC is owned by another company. It's all been carefully set up so even if the NFTs become worthless, the parent company won't lose financially (which is smart) so I wonder if the event was managed by yet another company again to ensure that said parent company is protected.