• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Next step in taper from 0.375mg xanax

buschamo

Greenlighter
I'm tapering xanax since 2 weeks ago after abusing for a short amount of time (~ 4 weeks), but I'm struggling with dosing. I've been at 0.375mg for the last 5 days, but skipping a dose in the afternoon to move to 0.25mg is rough. Tapering xanax is a bit of a rollercoaster ride so far, take 0.125mg, feel so-so for 6-7 hours, then feel bad again.

Dosaging problems and possible solutions

I only have 0.25mg xanax tabs and I can break them in 2. I've tried cutting them with a sharp kitchen knife to make them smaller, but they break. I might try a real pill splitter, the ones they sell for $3 in the pharmacy.

I'm considering taking xanax only 2x0.125mg a day and adding kratom 1x per day, which I haven't touched for months, for the difficult hours in the afternoon.

My ideal taper would be such a xanax taper: 3 days 3x per day 0.1mg, 3 days 3x per day 0.075mg, 3 days 3x per day 0.05mg, 3-5 days 0.025mg, but the smallest xanax pills are 0.25mg.

An alternative would be switching to valium, which has 2mg tablets, but I'm doing cardio every day. I read that valium makes you tired, not sure that'll go well with doing daily exercise.

Medical help / clinic
TLDR: Less than smooth experience getting medical help
I've seen a doctor at a clinic, but he only has time once a month and said switching to valium was not necessary in my case (short use) and would only add more complexity tapering. He recommended going from 3x per day 0.25mg to cutting out moments, first afternoon, then morning, ending with 1x 0.25mg xanax per day at night. The guy I spoke to before at the same clinic recommended I go from 2mg xanax daily to 0.5mg daily in the morning, because xanax was an anti-depressant and should make sure I don't feel bad. Before that I heard I should keep using 2mg daily until I was seen by the clinic. The reception told me last week by phone I should just quit my treatment in a 30 seconds phone call after a simple question, that kind of upset me too. The time before they hung up the phone, because I asked when I would finally see a doctor, instead of having 3 non-medical intakes and having to keep taking 2mg. My xanax abuse period was shorter than my time waiting for medical attention at abusive dosages. I can at least understand hanging up the phone, as they probably didn't know either when the doctor could see me and I kind of insisted.

Tips from you guys
So self-medicating my taper is essentially my only option. I'm back at 0.375mg daily and I have another appointment with the doctor in 8 days.

• Should I introduce kratom to go to 2x0.125mg per day?
  • Should I move over to valium?
  • Should I just suck it up and move to 2x0.125mg? I have no big physical side effects, although I feel very easily agitated, often upset, pessimistic, so it's been a challenge mentally.
I have been reading the Ashton Manual. Chapter 3 does contain a lot of tips, but the tapering schedules are mostly made for long-term benzo users.

If you really want to get off alprazolam and arent having any physical symptoms of withdrawal, I honestly think you should jump down to the 0.125mg twice a day, continue your taper from there and seek some non-pharmacologic treatment for your anxiety and other psychiatric symptoms be it therapy, relaxation techniques, meditation etc.

Thanks for your answer. I guess you're right. Today has been a nightmare. Felt very aggressive and angry, like throwing stuff, it was painful. I actually have quiet a calm character and wouldn't hurt anybody.

Yesterday I started trying to create 1/16th's of xanax (0.0625mg), they broke off and maybe I had much less than 0.300mg. I don't think that worked too well. The days before on 3x0.125mg were better. Also I dropped some liquid on these cut up xanax, maybe some of the alprazolam got out.

But I'll try to find more distraction, maybe pick up Headspace again for meditation and back to taking 1/8ths (0.125mg), but going for 2x0.125mg per day.

I definitely want to get benzos out of my life. I don't even enjoy the effect they give me.

My honest appraisal is that your taper should have been done much more quickly. Using Benzodiazepines for only one month is certainly enough to cause one to experience some minor withdrawal symptoms upon cessation, but it should not be enough to warrant a full, gradual taper like the one you are going through. The issue I see, is that while you believe you're tapering yourself off of these drugs, given the relatively short period of time that you were taking them in the first place, you're only making your dependence worse and prolonging what could've been a fairly straightforward, quick and easy process.

The Ashton Manual really is not totally appropriate reading for you man, because as you said, you're not a chronic user of Opioids and Ashton was setting out to help chronically dependent users detox safely. Safety shouldn't be a major concern of yours at this point, because you almost certainly could have quit cold turkey without any serious health implications.

I think you should immediately cut down to the lowest dose possible, as I feel that partaking in a long taper like what would be prescribed to a chronic, more heavily dependent user is just not appropriate for your situation. I apologize if this is coming off as uncaring, I just really don't want to see you get into a worse place by applying a totally different medical scenario to your own case.

Bear in mind, what you've done up until now would be described as essentially, the medically correct usage of Benzodiazepines. They are only supposed to be prescribed for a matter of weeks before being withdrawn, as their effectiveness is a little dubious when used chronically. I'm stating this so you understand that you should be in no medical danger and really shouldn't warrant any kind of serious taper. The worst you will probably have to deal with are some nerves, insomnia and a little bit of anxiety.

I appreciate your honesty. I prefer tough love.

I did take 20mg (total, so ~0,7mg per day) alprazolam in the month before the abusive month (100mg), most of which during the last 2 weeks of it. Background: http://www.bluelight.org/vb/threads/832566-Need-advice-after-3-weeks-of-xanax-abuse. Cold turkey didn't go well that time. I was even terrified to through the lobby to go through my basement to do laundry.

But already 5 days on 0,375mg is definitely too slow yeah. I dropped some mosquito oil yesterday on the xanax that I already removed from the blister and cut up. Maybe some of the xanax dissolved into the oil. I hope that explains why I felt quiet horrible today. I do feel better since taking 0,125mg of xanax from the blister.

Again, I appreciate your directness. I do want these crappy benzos out of my life.

I don't honestly know how you could even feel 0.125mg of xanax, especially after using it heavily for a month. I think maybe the withdrawal at this point could be largely mental, not physical. The mind can definitely play tricks on you and lead you to believe that you're in withdrawal, when you aren't. I'm not saying that your symptoms are invalid, I'm just wondering if they could be being symptoms from anxiety alone and not withdrawal. I know how bad anxiety can get, and how it can trick the mind. I regularly feel like my chest is so tight that I must be having a heart attack, when in fact it's just another anxiety attack, and although I know this....it keeps happening. Frustrating.

I don't honestly know how you could even feel 0.125mg of xanax, especially after using it heavily for a month. I think maybe the withdrawal at this point could be largely mental, not physical. The mind can definitely play tricks on you and lead you to believe that you're in withdrawal, when you aren't. I'm not saying that your symptoms are invalid, I'm just wondering if they could be being symptoms from anxiety alone and not withdrawal. I know how bad anxiety can get, and how it can trick the mind. I regularly feel like my chest is so tight that I must be having a heart attack, when in fact it's just another anxiety attack, and although I know this....it keeps happening. Frustrating.

This.

IMO you could have jumped by now and just rode it out. If you're experiencing bad withdrawal then unfortunately that's the price for a month of pure comfort. In my experience I've found it's actually the length of time you spend on benzos rather than the dosage that makes the withdrawal worse so taking tiny amounts of long periods of time could make things worse.