Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

News: War on drugs a failure, decriminalise now: Branson

marley

Bluelighter
http://www.smh.com.au/executive-sty...decriminalise-now-branson-20120124-1qem4.html

News: War on drugs a failure, decriminalise now: Branson

The war on drugs has failed and it's time to decriminalise their use, billionaire British entrepreneur Sir Richard Branson says.

And he has been praised by Australian entrepreneur Dick Smith for speaking out on an issue on which "most people will say nothing".

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/executive-sty...now-branson-20120124-1qem4.html#ixzz1kMlBCfzo

Sir Richard, who is due to appear at a British parliamentary inquiry into drug policy today, wrote in London's Telegraph that political leaders needed to find the courage to speak out against current drug policies.

"Over the past 50 years, more than $1 trillion has been spent fighting this battle, and all we have to show for it is increased drug use, overflowing jails, billions of pounds and dollars of taxpayers' money wasted, and thriving crime syndicates," he wrote.

"It is time for a new approach."

'Alternatives available'

His view is supported by Geoff Gallop, the former premier of Western Australia, who told smh.com.au the use of the words "war on drugs" gave it a military application that provided "a bad way of looking at this issue".

"There are better ways of looking at it and decriminalising use, I think, would be a very good step forward, and then properly regulating supplying and distribution with a view to harm minimisation.

"There is evidence now that alternatives are available which don't have the catastrophic consequences that the critics say and, in fact, have positive consequences in terms of people who abuse drugs and get addicted."

Mr Smith, who said he had discussed this issue with Sir Richard in the past, told smh.com.au the Virgin boss would not have spoken out if he did not feel strongly about it.

"I believe Richard Branson is a very decent person. He would not write that unless he has really thought about it," Mr Smith said.

"And he realises there is downside as well as an upside. It's what you do on balance. Obviously what we are doing now is not succeeding.

"I admire him because it is completely out of left field and he has no financial interest in this. He will be attacked and criticised. But he is saying it how it is. He is showing some real leadership in this matter and I think that's important."

'Cutting consumption and reducing harm'

Sir Richard argued for a move away from prohibition and enforcement towards a focus on cutting consumption and reducing harm, saying that a study by the Global Commission for Drug Policy - of which he was a part - on international drug policies over the past 50 years revealed the failure of current measures.

"First, prohibition and enforcement efforts have failed to dent the production and distribution of drugs in any part of the world. Second, the threat of arrest and punishment has had no significant deterrent effect on drug use.

"We need a debate on how policy can cut consumption and reduce harm, rather than inflammatory scaremongering. It is not about supporting drug use; it is about solving a crisis."

Sir Richard wrote that, while it was not yet known which policies would work best, lawmakers all over the world should be encouraged to experiment with new policies, citing some steps taken by Switzerland and Portugal.

"Following examples such as these and embracing a regulated drugs market that is tightly controlled and complemented by treatment - not incarceration - for those with drug problems will cost taxpayers a lot less."

Sir Richard said the methods to evaluate such policies should also be radically changed - with the focus on outcomes instead of on arrests, prosecutions and drug seizures, "which turn out to have little impact on levels of drug use or crime".

"We should instead measure the outcomes in the same way that a business would measure the results of a new ad campaign.

"That means studying things like the number of victims of drug-related violence and intimidation, levels of corruption connected to the drug market, the amount of crime connected to drug use, and the prevalence of dependence, drug-related mortality and HIV infection."

'Political nervousness'

Mr Smith said that, while he generally agreed with Sir Richard's opinions, he believed it would be almost impossible for people to change their views on the criminalisation of drug use.

"I think he's probably right but I don't think it will happen. We all say, if drugs are illegal we should be able to stop them."

But Dr Gallop said increased dialogue in civil society would help open up the debate.

He said Australia had been taking some "forward steps", through measures such as needle exchange programs, methadone programs, and in moves towards the decriminalisation of cannabis.

"But on the fundamental point of decriminalising use, there has been a hesitation and a political nervousness about it.

"And so I think the argument needs to be had and politicians then can perhaps be a little bit more relaxed about changing the law and not suffering any political consequences. I think the case for reform needs more movement within civil society.

"The public worry about these things. There are parents, they have cousins who are affected by it, so any government has to ensure people there are benefits and there's a lot of evidence to show that can happen."

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/executive-sty...now-branson-20120124-1qem4.html#ixzz1kMlDr9lx

Of particular interest are the poll results.

Of the 11789 people who responded (as at 24/1/12 8:30pm) 81% were in favour of decriminalisation.

I actually voted in that poll earlier in the day and was also surprised at the large number who supported decriminalisation, I mean its just a meaningless online poll but its still quite encouraging to see. When I voted it was 70 something percent so the numbers have continued to go up!

i woulda added that a while ago too, but i'm trying not to post news stories! lol :)

News aside; I just wanted to share the fact that the Australian public is starting to swing in favour of decriminalisation. :)

The majority of people who want drugs to remain criminalised are rather uninformed on how drugs functions, etc. I think personally that drugs shouldn't have any promotional rights if they're legalised, so those 'moral' people out there will, at the least, be on a content stance.

Of particular interest are the poll results.

Of the 11789 people who responded (as at 24/1/12 8:30pm) 81% were in favour of decriminalisation.

in this instance i wish there were some relevance to a newspaper's website poll, i really do.
yes, it's kinda heartening, but they'd probably get the same results if they asked "do you think boat people should be publicly executed at the MCG and televised live across the nation?"
probably higher than 81% actually...

people who are against drug decriminalisation don't really give a fuck - they just don't give the idea any credence - whereas those of us that feel passionately about it vote and enthusiastically tell our friends.

i hate to be a nay-sayer, but it really doesn't mean squat. even if it were an accurate reflection of public will, i'm afraid it wouldn't mean much. can you see PM gillard (or tony abbott) implementing drug law reforms? hell, all of the states seem to have taken a big step back (or lurch to the right) in the last year in regard to drug laws.
a few years ago they were all decriminalising possession and small-time backyard growers - now bongs are banned everywhere?!

don't get me wrong - i voted on this poll a couple of hours ago and i'm glad to see the balance tipped in our favour, but the corporate media is all deceit and propaganda. for every news story or op-ed piece that gives mature consideration to law reform, you get twenty telling us about the Evil Drug Scourge Killing Our Kids and Turning Them into Axe-Murderer Paedophile Hookers.

i'm glad to see someone of branson's stature and fame speaking up on the issue, but as john lydon would say - he always was an old hippie.
this poll is the kind of thing that gives us a false sense of things being ok in this country, socio-politically.

i really don't mean to be a wet blanket, but the world presented to us by the corporate media is so shallow and sensationalist that we end up with short memories. the media panders to the desires of the public, but it also shapes what we think by restricting its message. we don't seem to be getting any closer to mature, reasonable drug policy in this country, if anything the christian right is taking more control of the debate.
persecution of drug users has increased a lot in the last ten years, and it would serve us all well to remember that.
don't believe the hype!

The more people who bring rational thinking about drugs into mainstream media and advocate using science and evidence based approaches to help societies drug problems are ok in my book.

Instead of the ignorant fear mongering and "drugs are bad" mentality, this is really just common sense. It would be great to see real debate about these topics in our government, but I'm not holding my breath.

Unless Julia Gillard said she was against decriminalisation of drugs. Tony Abbot might just say that he's for it.

I think the main good thing about the poll is that 80+% agree that it should be decriminalized, so smh will realize that people want more articles in favor of decriminalizing it and hopefully write some more here or there. Get it stuck in peoples heads with more persuasive arguments.
One thing i've noticed is polls and articles like this have changed over the last 10 years, The percentages on decriminalizing are going up and up, and the articles are becoming more and more positive. Maybe I just read the right ones though

The only people who truly want drugs te remain criminalised are the drug syndicates and dealers. Keep them illegal and it drives the price up, this creates a lucritive and highly profitable industry. If drugs were decriminalized and regulated by the government these criminals would cease to make money. I'd love to know how much money the bikies make from dealing drugs, money which is then invested into other criminal ventures. It's great to read articles like this. Let's face it the government know they have fucked up in their policies and created this monster. One of the big problems now is reversing the propaganda and bullshit they have spreading all thus time. Unfortunately one of the biggest problems they face is convincing the media to which they are seemingly dictated by. If we can get the media to spread the truth things will change faster, but unfortunately articles like that don't sell many papers.

I have a hunch that as long as there is only limited access to harm reduction strategies the states and Federal Government will not allow decriminalisation, let alone legalisation.

One way to change this would be to show your support for harm reduction petition published on the Queensland Government website at http://www.parliament.qld.gov.au/work-of-assembly/petitions/e-petitions.

Once the health issue surrounding injecting drug users are reduced, then the Government (and public) may lobby for change. Medically-supervised injecting rooms save lifes!!

I tried to e-sign, but got as far as 'Only Queensland addresses can be recorded. If you currently live outside of Queensland but are still eligible to join the E-Petition, please provide your current or last Queensland address.'

I tried, but i'm in nsw... Im all for more of these all over Oz tho... even tho i don't inject and never have.

Last edited: