• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

News: Poppy tea linked to teenager's death

It is sad because of his age, but lets keep this in perspective I think I read that the last person to die from poppy pod tea was 10 years ago?

There was a poppy-related death in February last year but before that no lives had been lost in Tasmania since 2004.

Work on your reading skills

Last edited by a moderator:
R.I.P - my thoughts and respects go to the family of the victim.

they do have signs in all the fields warning of the possibility of death. The kid probably was trying to push the boundaries if he used regularly. I hope the parents get all his friends together and have a chat. Surely some of them are using too.....an open discussion is needed otherwise nothing will change. But to put things into perspective - 2 deaths of pods in 18 years in a region that is the biggest producer of licit morphine in the world?? It seems like most pod users actually DO know their limits and DO know what they are doing. I would have expected to have a death a month!!!!

Just found this
tasmania1.JPG
which is something I guess.

I was going to post the same photo except mine was from when I used to live there. All this talk about education is useless if the kid couldn't read a sign. These are commercial crops for the sole purse of producing medical opium products, of course they are going to be strong. I'd like to know if this was his first time brewing with these pods or perhaps he pushed it too far after a couple of attempts.

Hi everyone, I'm a reporter from the ABC's 7.30 and I'm keen to talk to people if you have any knowledge of poppy use or farming/security in Tasmania. Please email <snip> if you interested in having a chat. You can be anonymous. Thanks

Hi everyone, I'm a reporter from the ABC's 7.30 and I'm keen to talk to people if you have any knowledge of poppy use or farming/security in Tasmania. Please email michaeldatkin(at)gmail.com if you interested in having a chat. You can be anonymous. Thanks

Didn't you used to work for Triple J's Hack (supposedly)?

Apparently so... Weird way to conduct research by fishing on forums... Perhaps if he contacted Tronica and had her ask here it may look a little more credible and professional.

The request doesn't look genuine to me... why ask specifically about the farming/security in Tassie?

Either LE, some idiot trying to break in or a troll IME. Other than his older posts requesting users to talk about their Ecstasy use (over 5 years ago) there is no other info to verify who they claim to be.

More verification is needed for studies like this, otherwise anyone can come in, simply mention they're conducting a study, and ask for posters to contact them. I think it's far too risky to allow studies to be advertised on here without strict verification that they're legitimate. mrmichael, please have a look at the drug studies forum. Legitimate studies can be posted there, but authentication of you and your study is required; your full name, who you're working for, the aim of the study, and previous works of yours, if applicable.

While it's sad I don't think it's anything to get up in arms about. People have known you can get high from consuming poppies in any one of a hundred different way to prepare them for consumption for thousands of years...I can't imagine that teenagers in Tazzie are that far behind the ball, I have no doubt plenty of teenagers- as well as many other people- steal poppies from the big pharma poppy growing operations.

Either he hit the 'jackpot' and stole some 'SUPER SECRET ULTRAHIGH POTENCY!!!11!' poppies or, much more likely, he stole HEAPS, thinking that they were weak and ended up making a killer brew. Or he may of combined it with alcohol. It's sad, but teenagers die from their recklessness fairly regularly- doing potentially life-threatening things is just a part of being a teenager! It's sad that that particular kid died, but it's probably one of those things that couldn't really of been prevented...but only because it was so unlikely that anything bad was gonna happen anyway!

The biggest threat is if there is a big media-driven moral panic...there was one in the early '90s in New Zealand over poppy seeds- supermarkets stopped selling bulk poppy seeds and the media harassed independent grocers that sold them- mainly Indian owned places. There's actually still a lot of bad feelings about it amongst some Indian dairy/grocer owners about that shit as they weren't and still aren't violating any laws- it really was just a stupid moral panic.

I think the main difference is poppies are so important to Tazzies economy, in addition to being a good place to grow them anyway, that there won't be much appetite for a big moral panic. This isn't a big problem and nor should it be treated as such. Boys will be boys, teenagers will be stupid- nothing to see here you fucking media vultures.

While it's sad I don't think it's anything to get up in arms about. People have known you can get high from consuming poppies in any one of a hundred different way to prepare them for consumption for thousands of years...I can't imagine that teenagers in Tazzie are that far behind the ball, I have no doubt plenty of teenagers- as well as many other people- steal poppies from the big pharma poppy growing operations.

Either he hit the 'jackpot' and stole some 'SUPER SECRET ULTRAHIGH POTENCY!!!11!' poppies or, much more likely, he stole HEAPS, thinking that they were weak and ended up making a killer brew. Or he may of combined it with alcohol. It's sad, but teenagers die from their recklessness fairly regularly- doing potentially life-threatening things is just a part of being a teenager! It's sad that that particular kid died, but it's probably one of those things that couldn't really of been prevented...but only because it was so unlikely that anything bad was gonna happen anyway!

The biggest threat is if there is a big media-driven moral panic...there was one in the early '90s in New Zealand over poppy seeds- supermarkets stopped selling bulk poppy seeds and the media harassed independent grocers that sold them- mainly Indian owned places. There's actually still a lot of bad feelings about it amongst some Indian dairy/grocer owners about that shit as they weren't and still aren't violating any laws- it really was just a stupid moral panic.

I think the main difference is poppies are so important to Tazzies economy, in addition to being a good place to grow them anyway, that there won't be much appetite for a big moral panic. This isn't a big problem and nor should it be treated as such. Boys will be boys, teenagers will be stupid- nothing to see here you fucking media vultures.

Im from nz and its annoying that you cant get them in supermarkets anymore but noone really knows about it anymore, the store owner I get them from always gives me a little smile and a discount because I buy the seeds somewhat regulary