• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

News: Night of drugs, love and friendship that ended with a mate dead

melburn_madness said:
is this the first 1,4B death ever recorded in AUST?

But is it technically a 1,4b death?

There have been other deaths recorded I believe, but none of them are from a person having ingested nothing but 1,4b.
There is almost always alcohol present, or a cocktail of other drugs.

I agree in the fact that this article is very misleading, it jumps about calling 1,4b a variety of names, which is just confusing to start with, and then does not clearly state the dangers of mixing 1,4b with alcohol.

And yet people still wonder how these things happen?

Mr Ramoundos, a 35-year-old father of two, died on March 16 last year of multiple drug toxicity, a four-day coronial inquest into his death heard yesterday.

melburn_madness said:
is this the first 1,4B death ever recorded in AUST?

No, there have been several we think. The problems is that we can only test for GHB post mortem and may not be sure which precursor created it. There has also been an almost identical case reported in the New England Journal of Medicine.

Cheers,

Buck

BigTrancer said:
I've been trying to think of something to write for over half an hour now, but all I can think of is that Charles Darwin knew what he was on about.

BigTrancer :(

I was thinking this. Then thought, I know plenty of intelligent people who act gung-ho when they're on the juice, like they're invincible. Drinking steadily over a long period of time might not affect a big guy/ regular drinker so badly, especially not on a pill. So he goes for a bigger headfuck and the rum/G smoothies just tipped him over the edge. Obviously, they didn't think they were in danger, although once the shaking and 'slight vomiting' started, I think I would have twigged, no matter how boot-scooted I was.

http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2004/07/21/1090089220660.html

... the wife is now looking at a manslaughter charge for not calling 000.

Sad story. Just goes to show, if your friend is incomprehensible and salivating after taking multiple drugs - RING A BLOODY AMBULANCE!!!

:(

there is a report on A Current Affair tonite at 6.30, lets see how ol' 'honest' Ray tackles the G issue

I just saw the ACA story and they barely touched the issue of drugs, save pictures of the soy sauce fish. Like pretty much everything on those shows, it was more about 'touching the lives of many'. I think it should have stated what GHB is and why mixing with alcohol is so dangerous, because if I didn't know already I wouldn't know what the big deal is, except that there is one.

"We either had too much or it wasn't what we thought it was...."

No you silly fucking cow, you had 14 rum and cokes mixed into the equation, not to mention a number of other drugs.

I only got 45 seconds into the story before I threw something at the tv and left.

The general public are so stupid when it comes to almost everything.

^^^^ My sentiments exactly. It made me so pissed off that they were mixing GHB with THAT much booze.
I'm scared of the shit by itself!

Then you can spin the argument that it's the government/media's fault for not allowing the open and regular access to harm minimisation techniques to the population.
Everything is a fuck up and it always will be. Those that WANT to know about drugs & safety will hunt it down... those that don't want to know... well... they get a story written about them and future laws are written due to their fucked up, irresponsible actions.

*sigh*

I saw this on the news last night.

I couldn't believe that they had been drinking all day, and then were downing 1,4B by the capful. I was sitting with two non drug users at the time, and they were saying - wow that must be evil shit, you can make plastic from it, why the fuck would you swallow that?

So you can see how easy the uneducated public form their opinion based on the information provided.

I once wrote to my local MP to enquire as to why the government doesn't make advanced driving courses mandatory for new drivers, and repeat offenders. I believe education is the key to reducing the road toll, not oppressive enforcement. The letter I got in response is that the government doesn't support advanced driver courses at all, because it may lead to drivers being over confident and thinking they are better drivers than what they actually are.

The government has the same approach to drugs. They will not promote harm minimisation because in there view they would be empowering people to take drugs.

They miss the point that drug users are going to do it anyway, just like these two couples. They had completely no idea what they were doing. And now that it is in the public eye the media spins more and more misinformation.

All I can say is thank god for the internet, where information cannot be censored. And thank god for sites like BL.

Note: The term 'god' is used as a figure of speech, not some type of religious belief.

All I can say is thank god for the internet, where information cannot be censored. And thank god for sites like BL.

Off topic, but this may come to an end *in the somewhat near??/far?? future* if certain people (in power) get their way *SIGH*

Censorship FUCKING SUCKS and this is a prime example why

Just a quick heads up in regards to this issue - I actually heard ABC702 in Sydney today (Drive - Richard something or other) doing coverage of this story where they continued to purport the dangers of "GBH" and the incident and inquiry in question. I have noticed in the last couple of days that all Levels of ABC reporting including ABC television, ABC radion & Triple J had been using the reference "GBH", and its namesake Grievous Bodily Harm. Like you this spread of misinformation disturbs me, especially when the industry takes significant pride in its meticulous research and verity. As a budding Journalist myself, i have taken great offence to this liberal use of a term both antiquated and incorrect.

We all know the chemical compound is gamma hydroxybutyrate, and the reference or slang most commonly used for this drug is GHB, or G, in line with the shortening of its scientific reference. I called the station and pointed out the mistake in their reporting, and also took heed with their coverage of the inquiry and the sad loss of this person. I told them (i was slighty nervous, so articulation tends to go out the door) that i felt the alteration of the name was misguided, and i commented on it being a media beat-up - a shock tactic. I think i hit a nerve then and Richard bit back with 'but someone is dead beacuse of this' which is entirely true, but i certainly wasnt going to respond with a joke about Darwinism or anything like that. After this, i also brought forth the idea of harm-minimisation, and how the ABC's coverage of the inquiry had failed to mention anything in regard to the incredibly significant danger of combining GHB with alcohol. This really pisses me off. I said that even one drink can put a person in a coma, and that it would be of great benefit to all the users out there to mention this fact.

I am certainly not trying to belittle the dangers of this drug, but i think at least using the coverage as an avenue to get this information out there to users who are obvioulsly unaware of some of these dangers is absolutely paramount. He then asked me, despite all of its dangers why do people still use it, to which i replied that i no longer use it, and alot of my friends have stopped using it due to the first hand experiences we all have had with the toxic effects of this drug. I said that most of us will use this drug the morning after a night out, and that in my experiences there is always one person who pushes the boundaries of use, even when dosing in a expected recreational range.

On a side note, when i called up to go on air, i realised that my parents were just arriving home, and that the radio in the loungeroom upstairs was on and tuned into the ABC. While i have no problem with my parents being aware of my drug use - i figured that having me endorse such a dangerous drug on Sydney radio might spark up some problems. So basically while im holding on, ready to go live, i had to run upstairs at a million miles an hour and turn the radio off. Thankfully i got there just in time to save any embarassment.

Any way guys, i hope i did something to help push the harm-minimisation effort around town.

The irresponsibility of some people amazes me. I have been in a situation where a friend was given G without knowing it after consuming copious amounts of alcohol. When he collapsed and fell in to a coma there was no question about calling an ambulance. Some friends they were eh ? Its all about responsible use, education and knowing who your friends are. Just a shame the kids will suffer for their parents stupidity.

twonk said:
Just a quick heads up in regards to this issue - I actually heard ABC702 in Sydney today (Drive - Richard something or other) doing coverage of this story where they continued to purport the dangers of "GBH" and the incident and inquiry in question. I have noticed in the last couple of days that all Levels of ABC reporting including ABC television, ABC radion & Triple J had been using the reference "GBH", and its namesake Grievous Bodily Harm. Like you this spread of misinformation disturbs me, especially when the industry takes significant pride in its meticulous research and verity. As a budding Journalist myself, i have taken great offence to this liberal use of a term both antiquated and incorrect.

Twonk,

Sally Loane interviewed me about 1,4-BD on Wednesday and I was quite specific about terminology, risk and biochemical processes, but you are right, they keep finding strange new people to quote. The telegraph article is a good example. I haven't heard of most of the people they quoted as experts. Fortunately the Herald tends to ask Paul Dillon, some of the St Vincent's doctors and I about Sydney things.

Cheers,

Buck

gher said:
I just saw the ACA story and they barely touched the issue of drugs, save pictures of the soy sauce fish. Like pretty much everything on those shows, it was more about 'touching the lives of many'. I think it should have stated what GHB is and why mixing with alcohol is so dangerous, because if I didn't know already I wouldn't know what the big deal is, except that there is one.

The ACA story was a leftover from their March GHB story before this lady had been accused of anything and was allegedly a victim. Interesting how this interview is somewhat different to the coroner's inquest.

B

Hmmm... While I'm definately NOT for the whole "Just Say NO" attitude towards drugs, you can't really go around blaming the media and/or the Government for the action that most probably will be made towards 1, 4B.

Yeah, I would really dig it if all drugs were legal, for obvious reasons who wouldn't... apart from those who don't use. But lets think realistically here, "If there's a will there's a way", what I mean is... if people are going to want to get fucked up on drugs, they will. Whether the drug is legal or not.

Obviously by making certain dangerous drugs like 1,4B illegal it will make certain individuals (or most of those who have half a fucking brain) question why the drug is illegal in the first place.

This is me speaking honestly here... but a drug like 1,4B or GHB are extremely dose sensitive and making drugs like these legal would be a very bad career move for someone who is trying to maintain his/her position as Prime Minister or President.

Yes, I do agree that drugs like Heroin, or in some cases Methamphetamine (and most definately pot) should be legalised under monitored conditions, IMO drugs like these are nowhere near as potent to the dosage as what 1,4B or GHB are.

You have got to understand the media's view on this 1,4B or GHB, at least I know I do. After all the shitfull overdoses I have heard of... YES from the media!! That is enough to keep me away from a drug as potent as 1,4B or GHB.

Yeah, alot of the time the media is stupid and sucks and all of that!! But in this circumstance I think they're actually right about something for once. :)

thank you twonk for having the guts to confront the media about such a sensitive issue. its good to see that some ppl are getting through with the message of harm minimisation.

i'm quite disgusted at this whole issue. i dont think i need to add any more....it seems everyone else has summed up my opinions quite well.

Deformed_neuron: One of the biggest dangers of "G" is that you buy it from a drug dealer, and hence you have no idea how concentrated what you're getting is. You can dissolve a lot of active ingredient in a very small amount of water.

This is why GHB should be made legal. If it were legal then you would know exactly how much you're getting and exactly how strong it is. At the moment there are no safeguards and someone used to getting weaker G can easily fuck up if they get something stronger than they're used to. And with something as dose sensitive as G it's a real danger.

The idea that people will think twice about doing drugs because they're illegal and the media talks shit about them is silly. If this were true then would you or anyone else be using heroin?