• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

NEWS: News.com.au - 28/07/08 'Meet our supermarket junkies'

Yeah good point KC, the thing is that for most addicts... it isnt just the high they chase.. its the escape... so issues of tolerance and harm just dont factor in.

Ffor the vast majority of addicts, addiction is linked to either feeling "not normal," "an overwhelming desire to escape," or "lack of constructive means for dealing with problems." Addicts often describe that they never fit in, had low self esteem before taking drugs, or they felt different to everyone else.

Person (a) gets high and loves the feeling. The have a risk of tolerance and physical dependence if they continue to use the drug but in most cases they dont become a full blown addict.

Person (b) has the "factor". they take the drug and it automatically gives them something they previously didnt have. They either are out of it and no longer care that they dont feel "normal" like everone else, or they are out of it and the problems of the world no longer matter,, they are absent, numbed, escaping from that which they don't know how to deal with.

Anyway.. back to topic. This is a really crap article :)

When is News.com.au going to start referencing Bluelight as a source?

The people who write this stuff must be short of ideas and just resort to bluelight for inspiration.

I have personally written about all 3 of the subjects mentioned in this article, and long before "news.com.au brought it to our attention..."

Anyone got any legal background? Lets get some money out of them!

I would just like to add that if the media wants to tell the nation about drugs it should also be pointing its readers to sites like Bluelight.ru, in the name of Harm Reduction... not an easy story!

Get a grip Australia, stop reinventing the wheel...

Last edited:
The severity of withdrawals is dependent on daily dose, duration and udnerlying health. For someone taking large amounts over years, the withdrawals are as bad as it gets.

Having supported people coming off smack and codeine (1000 - 1800 mg a day) I can assure you there is no difference.

That's like comparing apples with apples though... if that's the right analogy. Codeine is a pro-drug of morphine. Heroin is a pro-drug of morphine, though people tend to use it in a different manner of course and it can be much more addictive. They're WD's are going to be similar.

Check out OD sometime and compare the WD's of heroin with an opioid with a longer half-life such as methadone and then you'll see that there are worse WD's out there. And keep in mind opioid WD's aren't fatal, whereas benzodiazepine and alcohol WD's can kill.

how on earth can people afford 1800mg a day, that is around 7.5 packets of panafen... well sure if you take that much then yeah you're a dead-set addict and will have some monstrous withdrawal period. If I took that much I wouldn't be able to shit properly for a month.

Money wasn't the problem for me, it was cycling the pharmacies I visited. I've been banned from a couple because during the height of my problems, I would forget the last time I'd been there and go in too soon and arouse suspicions. :\

ETA:
How long are you "supposed" to use benzos for to get withdrawal effects? Because I've had periods of 1-3 months using 5mg+ of clonazepam a day with no withdrawal effects. Maybe I'm just a freak.

That is strange, you'd expect WD after that length of use with a benzodiazepine. You may just be able to count yourself as lucky.

How did this thread degrade into a w/d dick sizing thread so quickly?

Lets keep it on topic guys.

I want to hear from the fellow who wrote this article.

I want to know what the author is going to do now?

The author says that he/she has exposed these "Supermarket Junkies", "psudo runners" and "doctor shoppers", but what has he done to help those people who now know about these avenues to get their drugs.

Front up you slimey bastard, or at least write another article that tells people that there is Harm Reduction Sites that discuss these very points on a daily basis, where people can get REAL information, and reduce drug related deaths due to education, not scare tactics.

Bottom Scum like the author need to reassess their lives, and get another occupation, as he/she is clearly not a good journalist.

Maybe the author should join bluelight and give their opinions if they think they are so good.

Please do not use scare tactics when writing about drugs, you know you are only harming people.

Bugger me, I'm so angry I might just go down to the supermarket and get myself some poppy seed. While Im at it I might get some psudo and make a bit of speed... and on the way home I will drop into a couple of doctors and get some scripts for some bad ass painkillers and sleeping pills.

How did this thread degrade into a w/d dick sizing thread so quickly?

Who's dick sizing?

And it got on to WD because the article mentions codeine addicts and then someone said codeine doesn't give 'real' WD's and I (and Maxy, who I believe runs a codeine addiction site) pointed out that the WD's from codeine can be bad.

Maybe the author should join bluelight and give their opinions if they think they are so good.

I believe they already have an account here.

Bluelight comes up so often on a google search, I'm sure anyone looking for things discussed here, will find us.

well if they ban codeine and poppy seed tea ill just have to do more heroin

EmuBitter said:
well if they ban codeine and poppy seed tea ill just have to do more heroin

This is exactly why I want to hear from the author.

If the media continues to target minority drugs, then they will have them removed for everyone.

Why not put all your energies into:

1. Getting cegarettes banned.
2. Getting alcohol banned.

It's kind of a joke, but if you got both these drugs banned, the world would be a better place.

1. Getting cegarettes banned.
2. Getting alcohol banned.
It's kind of a joke, but if you got both these drugs banned, the world would be a better place.

would it though?

illegal tobacco would run rife with no contols on max tar levels, and the bootlegging industry would again start poisoning people with methanol containing booze.

If you're after a responsible model, let everything be legal and issue permits for purchase, subject of course to monitoring and regular medical assessment. Make it much the same as prescription pharmaceuticals.

iirc, Serbia or one of the neighbouring countries has a license system, whereby to purhase tax free (or low taxed) cigs you require a license. The cigs are then very cheap, and from what I was told, it's the reason smuggling cigs from there into other countries is big business. I believe such a system is/was also being considered for Britain, although the tax will surely still apply.

I couldnt buy grounded poppy seeds for my cake the other day. Fuck grinding them. They said they made new importaion rules. How come i dont get high when i eat alot of cakes containing poppy?? In eastern europe its a traditional cake.

phase_dancer said:
would it though?

illegal tobacco would run rife with no contols on max tar levels, and the bootlegging industry would again start poisoning people with methanol containing booze.

If you're after a responsible model, let everything be legal and issue permits for purchase, subject of course to monitoring and regular medical assessment. Make it much the same as prescription pharmaceuticals.

iirc, Serbia or one of the neighbouring countries has a license system, whereby to purhase tax free (or low taxed) cigs you require a license. The cigs are then very cheap, and from what I was told, it's the reason smuggling cigs from there into other countries is big business. I believe such a system is/was also being considered for Britain, although the tax will surely still apply.

These are all valid points, and carry much more weight than scare tactics.

I just wish that our Australian Media would grow some balls, and stop doing what the rest of the world (America) says we should do.

Australia and NZ have some pretty unique advantages being islands, that would allow us to test some other models as p_d has suggested.

Now if you were to write about something of this nature, I would be happy to read, but just writing to make your boss happy is childish.

Grow some balls Australia.

eggman said:
Interesting about the pensioners shopping on the drug labs behalf. Most aged pensioners I know would be way to paranoid and distrusting of others to get involved in that sort of shit.

Something tells me the ones who do it maybe getting rewarded with gaming machine time

yeh it's definitely seniors buying pseudo. been going on for at least a year. It's so stupid too. when the original runners (edgey looking speed freaks) stopped coming thru, the ppl who made proj STOP hailed it a success. Do they ever think that ppl make alot of cash from speed, and instead of stopping they might shift their tactics? Duh! I mean, seniors dont stand out... who else can you use? teenagers? housewives ?? no way, but seniors... well, lets just say I knew from the beginning

That's like comparing apples with apples though... if that's the right analogy. Codeine is a pro-drug of morphine. Heroin is a pro-drug of morphine, though people tend to use it in a different manner of course and it can be much more addictive. They're WD's are going to be similar.

Check out OD sometime and compare the WD's of heroin with an opioid with a longer half-life such as methadone and then you'll see that there are worse WD's out there. And keep in mind opioid WD's aren't fatal, whereas benzodiazepine and alcohol WD's can kill.

AFAIK; whilst codeine is a prodrug of morphine, that's not what's responsible for its primary effects. Roughly 5-10% of codeine will be converted to morphine, with the remainder either free, conjugated to form codeine-6-glucuronide (~70%), or converted to norcodeine (~10%) and hydromorphone (~1%).

Next thing they'll be writing articles about a certain cough syrup out there.

Or am I too late?

There must be some seriously weak minded people out there to claim they are addicted to codeine and call it a "curse". Withdrawal symptoms are no worse than a mild hangover. Also, that pharmacist sounds like a paranoid douche. Overall though, sound article.

After a 4 year addiction to codeine and diahydrocodeine which made me seek methadone treatment I find your statement that addicts to codeine and similar opiates are weak minded offensive. Because we choose to take lower class opiates doesn't make our addictions lower class.

Look no offense... I am honestly not trolling, but surely you could have tapered from those opiates? Those are nothing compared to heroin, oxycontin, etc... Methadone seems very extreme for either one.

I used to use alot of dihydrocodeine and yes, even thought it was uncomfortable, it was also very mild. Cold/hot flushes, some sweating...

Edit: And get rid of that picture as your fucking avatar. Fuck, just advertise why don't you?