Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

NEWS: Herald Sun - 29/08/08 'Gen X, Y using less illicit drugs: federal report'

hoptis

Bluelight Crew
Gen X, Y using less illicit drugs: federal report
August 29, 2008 01:22pm

MORE than half of Gen X and Y have tried illicit drugs at least once, but drug use has fallen sharply in the past three years.

According to the 2007 National Drug Strategy Household Survey, there has been a significant drop in illicit drug use during the past three years.

The proportion of Australians aged 20-39 who had recently taken an illicit drug fell from 31 per cent to 26 per cent.

One in five Gen Yers said they had recently used cannabis, compared with just 12 per cent of Gen X.

Gen X and Y men were twice as likely to have recently used cannabis than women, but half of both sexes had tried it at least once.

Overall, there has been a decline in cannabis use in the past three years, dropping from 11.3 per cent to 9.1 per cent of the population.

But cannabis remains Australia’s most frequently-used drug, followed by ecstasy, pain killers taken for non-medical purposes and methamphetamines.

A total of 5.8 million Australians had tried cannabis at some time in their lives.

Cocaine use by Gen Y men has almost doubled, from 3.7 to 7 per cent.

Generation X is increasingly taking ecstasy, while Gen Y is turning off the drug.

Use among 30 to 39-year-old men rose from 5.8 to 6.3 per cent, while female users increased from 2.3 to 3.2 per cent.

Education campaigns and overdose stories may have contributed to a significant drop in ice use in the past three years.

Gen Xers are half as likely to take ice as Gen Y, but there was no noticeable difference in use between 2004 and 2007.

Herald Sun

gen x y z etc confuses me, can someone tell me what age group is each letter lol

"A total of 5.8 million Australians had tried cannabis at some time in their lives."

And a lot more lied.

Would've thought it was a bigger number than that.

Generation X - Born Between 1965 to 1981

Generation Y - Born Between 1980 to 1994

If thats 'true' about Gen Y turning off E (And i always have trouble believing these articles) I find that pretty interesting.. cause almost everyone i know use's the drug.

Guess im in a minority? :p It's probably because Gen Y'ers abused it soo much, and now its fucked for them.. my guess lol.

yeah i'd definitely agree. most us people in the gen y bracket have had a fair decent crack at ecstasy.
being younger we're more likely to go clubbing every week
go clubbing, drop a few pills

pills stop having such a good effect.
so we go elsewhere... i.e to ice.
but its not like it stops us from using pills.

from most the gen x people i know and associate with i've found they've been more into speed and weed. speed especially.
but a few are starting to hit the ice instead?

plus i don't know whether it's my preaching to my friends or if its just a general thing.
but i think lsd's having a big resurgence.

i'd be interested to see what sort of demographic was used for the test results?

js2k6 said:
plus i don't know whether it's my preaching to my friends or if its just a general thing.
but i think lsd's having a big resurgence.

I've been noticing the same thing.

Meanwhile they neglect to mention that there has been a 20% reduction in honesty amongst the generation Y population ;)

I'd like to know how they can trust these surveys?

Not that i'm calling bullshit but I have no idea anyone would admit to using hard drugs to someone with a clip board and whom knows where you live.

Hell if people are so stupid and trusting why aren't the cops just sending out teams of armed statisticians to clean up the streets. Seems like idiots are more then happy to recount their drug use to them.

If anything it could be argued that the survey simply shows that Gen X & Y are smarter then previous generations (i.e. we know to keep our mouths shut).

I have recently spoken quite openly about my ecstasy use with Michael Atkin from JJJ. Please don't make me paranoid :)

In other news:
Gen Xers are half as likely to take ice as Gen Y, but there was no noticeable difference in use between 2004 and 2007.

This is such a vague/shithouse statement. Srsly, WTF is that supposed to mean?

I'd like to know how they can trust these surveys?

They can't, and neither can you. How many people do you know who, these days, are willing to answer such questions honestly?

While drug use may be waning amongst the reported groups, in truth, we will really never know. More on this subject shortly....

peaked said:
Meanwhile they neglect to mention that there has been a 20% reduction in honesty amongst the generation Y population ;)

My thoughts exactly!

Originally Posted by Malakaix
If thats 'true' about Gen Y turning off E (And i always have trouble believing these articles) I find that pretty interesting.. cause almost everyone i know use's the drug.

Guess im in a minority? :p It's probably because Gen Y'ers abused it soo much, and now its fucked for them

I remember a few years ago e was the big and pretty much everyone who used it abused it well in my circle of friends anyway.

Another reason why I believe they are turning off it is because pills these days are all turning to shit and I believe because cocaine use has "almost doubled" is because the quality of it is improving.

sydkiwi said:
I blame the steady decline in quality pills for ice being so popular

ok im really confused. all over the australian section of bluelight, people are complaining about shithouse pills etc.. maybe i just get lucky and have good hookups, but of the 21 occasions i have done pills, i have been dissapointed 5 times. 16/21 times i have had a (mainly) AWESOME time. this has been from july 06-august 08 so im not sure how ide define my tolerance, maybe low-medium ?

Originally Posted by acidicweed 69
ok im really confused. all over the australian section of bluelight, people are complaining about shithouse pills etc..

I consider a pill that contains at least 100mg of MDMA with no meth good anything else is just total crap! I think there are a lot of people who think the same as me..

These days your lucky if you get a pill with 70mg of MDMA and no meth in them.

Last edited:
Im suprised painkillers were even mentioned here.

There are many who think the same as you mushi and people around here are only just starting to realize that pills with speed in them are crap, noone buys them anymore thank god.

mushi mushi 88 said:
other reason why I believe they are turning off it is because pills these days are all turning to shit and I believe because cocaine use has "almost doubled" is because the quality of it is improving.

Interesting point and a trend that I've noticed too.

Not to mention that with information that gets rapidly disseminated over the interwebs, people are being more educated and have higher expectations, especially with what us Aussies pay vs whatever the rest of the planet gets.

Back OT, I kinda find the study a bit hard to stomach, but that's only because a lot of my peers are readily engaged in this sort of behaviour. Then again, for every 1 person who gets loose every weekend, it's not hard to think about 4-5 more that probably haven't even been exposed to it. With the way that it goes though, kind of hard to believe things will stay this way, especially as kids get more disposable income with the newfound wealth of this country in urban centres.

Marijuana use is down because it's seen as uncool, dirty even. Just isn't as cool as it used to be.

MDMA usage should be as high as ever though.

Sydney loves there pills, bloody everyone does em.

Weed use is down alot tho.