• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

NEWS: Herald-Sun 08 Jun 05: Syringe vending machine plan

sil80 said:
What a waste. If IV users cant access needles during non business hours, it's their own problem.
That's a very inconsiderate view, people who need access to clean needles should be assisted as addictions don't operate during business hours, its 24/7. You should be more compassionate for those who are not as secure in life as yourself.

sil80 said:
What a waste. If IV users cant access needles during non business hours, it's their own problem.

Alcohol addicts can access their drug of choice around the clock, thats an addiction thats far more costly to the community. The worst part is that most alcohol addicts drink everyday and don't think they have a drug problem.

hmmmmmm

Surely these machines for $10,000 should incorporate a disposal unit also? i see this being a ridiculous thing on one hand but great on the other, in Tasmania or in the north my mates who do need needles find it difficult if they decide at 10pm at night they want to have a big ngiht to find a clean needle, i know of one instance where a dikhead mate despite our anger used a needle he still hadnt disposed of! but also having these machines i can see kids thinking it would be a cool idea to go and buy a needle and be a dikhead then stabbing each other by accident or some shit which would then in the media be blamed on drug users for some ridiculous reason!

I think its a good idea, but as a few ppl have mentioned already, its the disposal of these needles thats the REAL concern.

I know there is no way we can govern this... but damn i wish there was!!

On the other hand I think this provides an opportunity for ppl who were normally too scared or embarrassed to get needles for the first time to actually have a chance to grab some from a machine and take that EXTRA step towards drug taking that they may never have tried????

But all in all, its a good idea.... It may cost the government some money but the eventual health care a person may need from contracting some sorta blood condition would cost the governement a hell of a lot more..

As long as they come with one of those safety boxes that can't be opened to dispose of these needles (as someone else mentioned), I think this is a great idea. I'm all for IV drug users being provided better options for their health, as long as the wider community can breathe easier also.

:)

Yeah disposal of them is fucked. A mate told me when he lived in some sydney suburb, a near by walking path that was closed off and unmaintained, there is a creek that gets dry every so often, and when it does all yo0u can see is thousands and thousands of needles and rubbish everywhere. We normally keep our boxes till they build up to around 10 or more, then put them in paper bags inside plastic bags, and put them in the trash the night before bin day up the road, where a public trashbin is. But there should be bins next to vending machines.

^it's pretty standard practice to pop a disposal bin next to the dispensing machine in other states that already have the machines. I'm sure we'd be looking at that in Vic too. The feedback from places like NSW that have had machines for quite a while now is pretty clear - none of the expected problems have eventuated. This includes "kiddies" accessing the machines who aren't injectors themselves - it just doesn't happen.

The public health benefits of extensive access to clean injecting equipment completely overwhelm any possible negative effects. We're talking about a strategy that has been around in various forms in Australia for nearly 20 years (first needle exchange 1986), with bipartisan support. If we could just stem the negative media about needle syringe availability, I think that would be sufficient to allow the public to breathe easier. =D

hmm soon there will b H vending machines with another machine to inject it for them. I agree with stopping aids etc, but i think this is making it way too convenient for these people.

There should be a conepiece vending machien to stop people using cans and foil and getting Alzheimers which also costs the community plenty

Cone-pieces don't have as much (if any at all) of the risk of transferring diseases from one person to another. That is why there is machines. Go and read it all again :)

On a related subject. The machines were just upgraded (here in North NSW) to include .29G syringes instead of .27 (green instead of orange covers). They are that much better hey.. Hardlyu any blood at all drips out.. Very smooth!

Cowboy Mac said:
That's a very inconsiderate view, people who need access to clean needles should be assisted as addictions don't operate during business hours, its 24/7. You should be more compassionate for those who are not as secure in life as yourself.

Cowboy Mac, people who need to use needles and cant access any out of business hours need to learn how to organise themselves. If they can't do that, don't worry they wont die.

and deano:
Alcohol addicts can access their drug of choice around the clock, thats an addiction thats far more costly to the community. The worst part is that most alcohol addicts drink everyday and don't think they have a drug problem.

Deano, you are right. Look how it's ruined lives.

^^Why? you can buy alcohol 24/7 and don't need to be organised . Knowing a few IV users it is often a spur of the moment decision for them to use why should they not have access to sterile equipment? SOME IV users have trouble organising anything in business hours let alone a clean fit then there is the "shame" of having to go and buy/ask for a sharps kit because people like you treat IV drug users as second class citizens. Working in hospitality i PERSONALLY have seen two customers die from alcohol let alone all the ruined lives/families I'm sure are at home. I think you need to reconsider what this website is all about, it is certainly not for you to judge other peoples lifestyle choices. =|

somekindagenius said:
^^Why? you can buy alcohol 24/7 and don't need to be organised . Knowing a few IV users it is often a spur of the moment decision for them to use why should they not have access to sterile equipment? SOME IV users have trouble organising anything in business hours let alone a clean fit then there is the "shame" of having to go and buy/ask for a sharps kit because people like you treat IV drug users as second class citizens. Working in hospitality i PERSONALLY have seen two customers die from alcohol let alone all the ruined lives/families I'm sure are at home. I think you need to reconsider what this website is all about, it is certainly not for you to judge other peoples lifestyle choices. =|

I don't think you understand me. I am not against IV drug users. You say IV users have trouble organising anything at business hours and then the "shame" of asking for a sharp kit. IV users are not a seperate breed of people, if they want to inject drugs then they can deal with asking for a sharp kit. I am not treating IV users as secondary citizens, I just don't think needle vending machines on the street is right. If sharpkits could be purchased at servos or 7-11 with disposal kit in the toilets, I think that's a much better idea.

^It's about protecting the whole community from blood borne viruses such as HIV. The easier it is for people to access new injecting equipment, the less likely it is they will inject with used equipment, and the more likely that infection transmission will be prevented. Because HIV is also sexually transmitted, it soon spreads to the wider population once it reaches sufficient levels in any sub-population.

Dispensing machines are just one strategy to increase access to injecting equipment. There are concerns around operating these machines - but bear in mind they have been operating for 10 years in NSW without any of these concerns turning out to be an actual problem. The most likely sites for syringe dispensing machines are - near hospital EDs, and at existing fixed site needle/syringe programs. They won't be "on the street" as such...

Good luck trying to convince 7-11s to sell fit-packs - it's a good idea but generates its own set of problems. For instance - who's going to train the staff about working with injecting drug users? What happens if someone ODs in the toilets using a fit pack they just bought?

Sorry sil80 i did misunderstand you, but i have to agree with ayjay that 7/11 may not be ideal, vending machines seem a little more realistic at this point in time. =)