Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

NEWS: Bongs set for national ban

Harsh fines for selling ice pipes, bongs
Christine Kellett
July 5, 2007 - 12:11PM

Retailers dealing in ice pipes and bongs will face massive penalties under a major drugs crackdown.

From today, the sale of ice pipes, bongs and related paraphernalia will be outlawed amid concerns illicit drug use has become "normalised" in Queensland.

Penalties range from a $300 on-the-spot fine to up to $10,500 if prosecuted through the courts.

Police and a crack team of 80 Queensland Health officials will be responsible for enforcing the new laws, which are expected to put a dent in the profits of more than 300 Queensland businesses, including tobacconists and novelty shops, that have been selling ice pipes over the counter.

"The display and sale of these pipes only feeds a perception that smoking methamphetamines is an acceptable and regular activity," Health Minister Stephen Robertson said.

"This ban will go a long way in changing this view and diminish the 'normalisation' of ice use in our community."

The reforms follow the launch of the State Government's Ice-Breaker strategy, which also includes an education campaign aimed at young people, and measures to mitigate drug addiction.

"We are continuing to work with pharmacies to restrict the sale of pseudoephedrine medicines only to people in genuine need of them and with general practitioners to ensure appropriate prescribing of these medicines," Mr Robertson said.

"Other measures involve assessing both public and non-government drug treatment facilities and other interventions available across Queensland, and determining special requirements to manage or break the amphetamine habit."

For more information, contact the Tobacco Hotline on 1800 005 998.

Brisbane Times

$100,000 worth of ice pipes, bongs seized
July 11, 2007 03:27pm

QUEENSLAND Health raids have netted more than $100,000 worth of banned ice pipes, bongs and bong parts in Brisbane and the Gold Coast.

Last week, the Queensland government banned the sale of ice pipes and bong parts.

Since then, Queensland Health teams have inspected 237 stores, handing out seven fines.

At two particular stores - one in the Queen Street Mall and another in Surfers Paradise - they seized more than 1,000 items.

The retailers now face maximum fines of $10,500.

Health Minister Stephen Robertson said the stores had been repeatedly warned of the new legislation, but had the products on open display.

"What we are serious about is cracking down on illegal drug use, and in particular the use of amphetamines,'' Mr Robertson said.

"You just need to go to emergency departments in our hospitals on Saturday nights to see the impact amphetamine use has ... and the violence being experienced by our doctors and nurses working in those departments to understand just one reason why we should be cracking down on this kind of material.''

The Queensland government has also announced two new studies into the use of amphetamines, including ice, in the state.

The first study will update a 2003 survey and involve about 700 amphetamine users.

The second will involve a select group of young amphetamine users, and examine their drug use, access to health services and any involvement in crime.

News.com.au

You can still buy hookahs it seems, just not bongs. and stems and cones. Vapourisers still seem legal too.

One place also had a big glass pipe like thing full of tobacco on display to street public, I asked what it was (as it looked very home made and printed labelled) and he said it is a healthier way to smoke cigars... it's impractical to use as it comes packed, he says you have to put the "organic" tobacco (which looks fucking gross, and more like chopped up mixed herbs) out and put in a little bag and put little chunks at a time in there while vapourising it.. the new crack pipe.... sneaky buggers, expensive too. But what I dont understand is it must not contain any nicotine, he just called it organic tobacco. Couldnt stay at the stand long because an officer of the law that doesn't really get a long with me was coming close so I fled. Going to sus it out when I'm back up there. I'm thinking it's some legal high smoking mix, just theyre selling it just to legally sell a crack pipe like thing, but its basically just a test tube like in high school but more specially designed, better off using a light bulb really. Interesting though theyre still trying to get around the Beatties "Tough on Ice" strategy.

Last edited:
Ice breakers move in
12Jul07

OWNERS of the Off Ya Tree drug paraphernalia stores face jail if they continue to sell ice pipes and bong parts following raids on their Surfers Paradise and Brisbane shops.

Queensland Health acting senior director of alcohol and tobacco Greg Robbins said his officers had confiscated more than $100,000 worth of drug-related tools from the shops.

Dr Robbins said they had secured 450 ice pipes, 450 bongs and thousands of bong components from the Cavill Avenue store.

"The owners had these items displayed openly in the cabinets. They weren't trying to hide them at all. All of the stores in question had been pre-warned about the crackdown and they received a phone call warning them about the enforcement of the rules," he said.

Their store in Queen Street Mall, Brisbane, had 200 ice pipes, 150 bongs and thousands of bong components seized on Tuesday.

Queensland Health now has dozens of boxes full of drug utensils ranging in price from $20 to more than $200.

The Off Ya Tree owners face fines of up to $10,500 and Dr Robbins said the State Government would consider prosecution through the courts if they continued to break the new laws.

A company search on the Australian Business Research site lists the owner of Off Ya Tree as Koutsoumidis Dimos, 48, of Warrandyte North in Melbourne.

"If they keep doing it they can be prosecuted," said Dr Robbins.

"We're working very closely with police and they have assisted us in both raids."

Despite the crackdown, Off Ya Tree in Surfers Paradise continued to sell pill cutters, pill testers, 'coke kits' and vaporisers yesterday which can be used to smoke ice.

The cutters are used to evenly cut ecstasy pills in half, while the pill testers tell the user what the ecstasy contains.

The coke kits, made up of a small mirror and razor blade, are used to cut cocaine into lines before snorting it, while the Tobacco Vapourush vaporisers can be used for ice and other drugs.

An Off Ya Tree employee, who did not wished to be named, said the crackdown was a 'joke' as they were still legally able to sell the products.

"It's ironic isn't it," he said. "These things are the same as the bongs they use to do something illegal."

Although users can no longer legally buy the paraphernalia needed to take drugs, the Off Ya Tree employees believed it would do little to stop drug use.

"There's heaps of different ways," one said.

"Now everyone is going to use juice bottles and garden hoses -- how dirty is that?

"The bongs are way healthier for people, they have long necks on them to keep people's mouths away from the water.

"They are making it harder for people to smoke safely. We just sell more hygienic stuff for people to use."

Health Minister Stephen Robertson said methamphetamine use had put thousands of Queenslanders at risk and that this was the first step to eradicate all drug utensils.

"This is an epidemic and this is the start of cleaning up the problem. Most of the shops did the right thing. You only have to look inside our emergency rooms on a Saturday night to know what kind of effect this is having with the violence being experienced by our doctors and nurses," said Mr Robertson.

"We won't tolerate anyone thumbing their nose at the law by continuing to supply ice pipes, bongs and bong components."

Since Friday, 80 Queensland Health officials alongside Queensland police officers have conducted 237 inspections and handed out seven fines for minor infringements across the state.

Mr Robertson said the seizures sent a strong message to rebel operators that the legislation would be policed and that they would now become a target.

Under the legislation, implemented through the Health and Other Legislation Amendment Bill 2007, health inspectors can issue $300 on-the-spot fines if they find individuals or businesses selling even a single ice pipe or any bong parts.

The new laws were prompted by the State Government Ice-Breaker Strategy and Ice Taskforce set-up last year.

Pharmacies are also involved in the process, restricting the sale of pseudoephedrine medicines, an ingredient in ice and speed, to those who genuinely need them.

The Bulletin

I don't even smoke and I think this is bullshit, as far as I am aware or have been told smoking out of a plastic bong is more harmful than smoking out of glass etc. What do they think this will achieve anyway? People will just make home made ones. Bloody stupid.

That article in the bulletin... Some things to note... "The cutters are used to evenly cut ecstasy pills in half..." - hehe, this is just one example of a "drug related tool" as defined in the article above, that is also available at your local pharmacy.

"While the pill testers tell the user what the ecstasy contains." - I can't really say that I see a problem, its not as if the pill testers are marketed on the basis that you should know how great your pill is, it is for your safety, so why the negativity.

Do these people need to be reminded, Illicit drug takers, be it weed, pills, coke, heroin or whatever their poison of choice, indulge in the taking of these drugs regardless of what the law dictates. Why focus on a store like Off Ya Tree, its staff, and owner? When the only thing that they are guilty of is giving you a choice... Plastic Bottle and garden hose or glass? Personally I appreciate that choice. Wouldn't mind shaking the hand of Dimos from Warrandyte North in Melbourne.

Off Ya Tree have a website where the discussion board is focusing on these issues exactly. Guys be heard... With Off Ya Tree being mentioned in articles now, im sure we will see traffic to this discussion board increase, so please stand up for this cause or what hope do we have?

[EDIT: Removed link to Off Ya Tree site as they sell items we don't allow linking to. hoptis]

Last edited by a moderator:
If ya live in GC/QLD goto a certain tourist weekend market and find a stall somewhere that smells like.. well.. Nimbin! They also used to have a clothing/body jewellery/smoking accessories store in Coolangatta

BTW You can still buy old school tobacco-like pipes from the headshop mentioned in the article AND those euro-style Cone-Joints. And as I said tabbaconists still sell Hookahs. So I think Vapes are still legal.
OYT still have a pretty relaxed attitude to pot smoking and drug taking and the staff support harm minimisation. Was is there today and apparently the boss was up QLD way a day before this raid, and said ignore it for now. But they have been cleared right out. They don't sell bongs, weed pipes or glass pipes now.

This law is so stupid and spits on Harm Minimisation in every possible way. Now people turn to needles (or using foil to smoke), or a hose with a plastic bottle and foil-cone pieces... great for the lungs! In sweden (i think?) they made alcohol ridicuously expensive so you can't afford to drink unless your rich, a pint of beer being about $10-15AUD. So no one could really afford alcohol anymore so they turned to drugs at the local park or home made stuff etc. Or even worse THIS!

Last edited:
How short-sighted and fucking useless.

Why bother outlawing bongs, which are used to smoke the least harmful drug there is (legal & illegal), and are easy to make anyway?

Idiots. This is really the best way to spend their time and money?

Man Aus has some of the best bong makers and brands in the world! Our smoking paraphanalia is top quality! ;)

Think of the poor aussie battlers trying to make a living by making bongs! No one ever considers the poor bong makers anymore..

But seriously, what a load of bullshit! Short sighted bullshit! I love it when ever the government realises that they are losing the real "war on drugs" they turn to outlawing harmless drug taking utensils. Where's the logic. What, cos I can't buy a bong I'm not going to smoke my weed!?

RETARDS

Last edited:
There'll be a way around it. No one can stop you from possessing ornaments that need some simple work done to them, and possessing tools that come with that ornament to make certain holes or something celever like that some stoner would come up with. As Denis Leary said, when you start smoking pot, it doesn't lead to harder drugs, it leads to fuckin' carpentry! Oh lets make a bong out of that, hey lets make a bong out of this guys head.. *sucking noise* nyumyumyunyumm!

Chubba75 said:
It's an art bro :) The reason I prefer home made bongs is because give me a Gatorade bottle (number 1 bottle, Mizone second), a piece of hose and lighter and I'll create something that will smoke 10x better then a store bought glass bong in 30 seconds.

Not joking at all, if they weren't better why would I use them. I got 4 store bought bongs, 2 glass and ceramic and a plastic... all high quality.

Though my Gatorade owns them anyday of the week.

no fuckin plastic bong will ever be better to smoke than a nice one of glass...let alone the taste.

I've seen (older style) tallies been used as bongs before, but it requires hours and hours of slightly chipping away at it gently and is very time consuming. Then use lots of wax to seal it.

Chipping lol

[Edit- Removed link. lil angel15]

Last edited by a moderator:
Curious- I've read through the thread, can't see much about victoria... care to share anyone? :)