• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

NEWS : 9.3.09 - Drug bin results released today from Rock it festival

http://www.inmycommunity.com.au/news-and-views/local-news/Drug-bin-use-questioned-/7520165/

St John Ambulance treated 270 people on the day for heat and alcohol-related injuries and illnesses, including broken bones.

I'd like to see how this statistic compares to other festivals with varying levels of law enforcement at the gate. Perhaps with increased drug-related security, people resort to getting pissed instead, and thus higher numbers of "alcohol-related injuries and illnesses" . . . just a thought.

but seriously, why would anyone put shit in those bins? I mean I would never chuck out my pills or weed inside the bins, i just dont get it.

but seriously, why would anyone put shit in those bins? I mean I would never chuck out my pills or weed inside the bins, i just dont get it.

Well.. i look at it this way. They probably have a substantial amount of drugs on them, enough that they cant take them all at once without suffering some form of physical damage or even death. So they probably ditched some of what they had and took the remaining drugs before coming in contact with the cops and dogs.

That or people actually decided to make a 'wise' decision and looked at there options..

They could scoff all there drugs and harm themselves, if not kill themselves.
They could get caught by the dogs and face charges or even a prison sentence.
Or They could throw them in the bin and everything's rainbows and sunshine.

It wouldn't surprise me if people were faced with these options upon entering, and based on that made a smart decision. And if that's the case.. then these drug bins are really worth the time and effort.

People need to be given options, you cant push them into a corner with 'Just say No' or an intimidating police presence and dog squad which if caught would accompany a charge or prison time. Because people react when there pushed and they do so irrationally.

Well.. i look at it this way. They probably have a substantial amount of drugs on them, enough that they cant take them all at once without suffering some form of physical damage or even death. So they probably ditched some of what they had and took the remaining drugs before coming in contact with the cops and dogs.

That or people actually decided to make a 'wise' decision and looked at there options..

They could scoff all there drugs and harm themselves, if not kill themselves.
They could get caught by the dogs and face charges or even a prison sentence.
Or They could throw them in the bin and everything's rainbows and sunshine.

It wouldn't surprise me if people were faced with these options upon entering, and based on that made a smart decision. And if that's the case.. then these drug bins are really worth the time and effort.

People need to be given options, you cant push them into a corner with 'Just say No' or an intimidating police presence and dog squad which if caught would accompany a charge or prison time. Because people react when there pushed and they do so irrationally.

There are going to be many many people overdosing. If i had 30 beans on me id toss 26 and take 4. I think alot of people would think the same and try to take the maximum amount they can but not knowing the dangers. Im an idiot but id prob try it lol

There are going to be many many people overdosing. If i had 30 beans on me id toss 26 and take 4. I think alot of people would think the same and try to take the maximum amount they can but not knowing the dangers. Im an idiot but id prob try it lol

Exactly, im assuming what was found in the bin was more or less 'extras' that people threw away to reduce the amount that they were carrying.

Im just curious about how vigorous the police search is? if you tuck a couple of pills under your sack I cant see the cops getting that close. If the dog sniffs you out you can just say that you had a little bit of weed and dropped it into one of the bins before entering, but still had some of the smell on you.

Has anyone here been subject to a police search? And how far did they go to find your stash?

^^^ thats exactly what i want to know, how far are they allowed to go?? and how far do they ACTUALLY go if a dog makes a positive reaction?? :D

They can go as far as taking you to a hospital for an X-ray if they want.

Most of the time the attitude of the person being searched will determine the extent.

this is for vic, but i believe its similar in all states

Getting searched

The police can only search you or your property in some situations. The police can search you if:

* you agree
* they have a warrant (a court order that says what the police can do)
* they are allowed to by law.

If the police do not have the legal right to search you, they cannot force you to have a search.

Searches are often very fast and confusing. Stay calm. Ask the police why they want to search you before you agree to it. The police must tell you why they want to search. Talk to a lawyer as soon as possible.

If the police are allowed to search you and you try to stop it happening, you can be charged with ‘hindering’ police. Hindering police means trying to stop the police when they are doing their duty.

In all cases, you must be searched by a police officer of the same sex as you. If you are not happy with the search talk to a lawyer as soon as possible.
Searches under terrorism laws

Terrorism laws allow police to search without reason if you are in an area that a court has said is a ‘target area’. For instance, the court may say that a certain house is a target area. If you are in that house the police can search you without any reason. Areas can remain target areas for up to 14 days. See ‘Terrorism laws’ (link below).
Searches in public

The police can search you in any public place, including in a shop, at the train station, on public transport (buses, trams or trains) or in a hospital or welfare centre (for example, the Salvation Army).

The police can search you in a public place without a warrant if they believe on reasonable grounds that you are:

* in a place that is a target area under the terrorism laws
* carrying:
o illegal drugs
o things that can explode or ignite
o something that could be used to make graffiti – for example, spray paint, a gouging tool or even a texta, see 'Young people & the police' (link below)
o guns or offensive weapons like knives, imitation guns and martial arts weapons like knuckle-dusters and nunchakus.

If you are in an area with a lot of violent crime, police can use this fact to work out whether they have reasonable grounds to search you. For example, they may be more likely to suspect you of carrying an illegal weapon.

If the police search you they can also search anything you are carrying and the car you are travelling in.
Searches in custody or under arrest

The police can search you if you are in custody or under arrest to take things from you that could be used as evidence in court.
Searching the person

There are three types of personal (body) searches.
Pat-down search

A pat-down search is when police use their hands to feel over the outside of your clothes. The police can also:

* use a metal detector to look for something they ‘reasonably suspect’ is a weapon
* ask you to empty your pockets or remove your outer clothing, for example, your jacket or hat
* ask you to show them something they believe is a weapon.

You could be charged and fined if you refuse to do this.

Pat-down searches can be done anywhere. The police must make a written record of the search. The police must give you a receipt when they take anything away from you.
Strip search

A strip search is the removal and search of all your clothing. These searches must be done in a private place, usually at a police station. If you are under 18 a parent, guardian or independent person can usually be with you during the search.

A strip search usually happens when the police are looking for something they could not find in a pat-down search.

Under terrorism laws, strip searches can only be carried out on people who are named in a court order.
Internal body search

Only doctors can do internal body searches. The doctor must be the same sex as you.

The police can ask for an internal body search. You have the right to refuse. If you refuse, the police must get permission from a court to do the search.

See also ‘Fingerprints & body samples’ (link below).
Cars

The police can search your car, even if you are not in it, if they believe you are carrying:

* illegal drugs
* something used to mark graffiti, such as spray paint
* firearms and offensive weapons like knives, imitation guns and martial arts weapons – for example, knuckle-dusters and nunchakus.

The police can also search your car if you are in a target area under terrorism laws. See ‘Terrorism laws’ (link below).
Private property

The police usually need a search warrant to enter and search private property – for example, your home. However, the police may go into private property without a search warrant when:

* you let them in
* they have a reasonable belief that a serious offence will be or has been committed and they need to go into the house to arrest someone
* they need to stop a ‘breach of the peace’ – for example, a fight
* there has been a breach of an intervention order (see ‘Intervention orders’, link below)
* they are chasing someone who has escaped from prison or police custody
* they have a warrant to arrest someone
* they have a reasonable belief that illegal drugs are on the property.

The police can also search your home without your knowledge if they reasonably suspect that a terrorist act will be or has been committed.

If you live near by iy might be worth while wheeling your own bin near by and trying your luck.

Just out there, if someone did steal the bin could they be done for only theft as they don't know whats inside the bin?

lol the images in my head of someone just wheeling the bin away makes me smile, although I have real doubts about how practival it is (stealing the bins)

From my year 12 legal studies knowledge to prove you are guilty of most if not all criminal offences actus reus and mens rea must be proven. To give a basic definition -

Actus reus - the act
Mens rea - the intention

Mens rea can be the difference between one charge and another e.g. mens rea can be the difference between a murder charge and a manslaughter charge.

Taking this into account i dont know how you'd go proving an absence of mens rea. It would be hard to argue that you went all this way to a public venue to steal something you could have much more easily and stealthily stolen in a regular street, somewhere also containing much less law enforcement. That's on top of proving you were unaware of the drugs contents given the large signs on all sides of it.

At least, thats my few minutes worth of thinking on the theoretical side of stealing a drug bin from a legal perspective.

From my year 12 legal studies knowledge to prove you are guilty of most if not all criminal offences actus reus and mens rea must be proven. To give a basic definition -

Actus reus - the act
Mens rea - the intention

Mens rea can be the difference between one charge and another e.g. mens rea can be the difference between a murder charge and a manslaughter charge.

Taking this into account i dont know how you'd go proving an absence of mens rea. It would be hard to argue that you went all this way to a public venue to steal something you could have much more easily and stealthily stolen in a regular street, somewhere also containing much less law enforcement. That's on top of proving you were unaware of the drugs contents given the large signs on all sides of it.

At least, thats my few minutes worth of thinking on the theoretical side of stealing a drug bin from a legal perspective.

U could always dress like the garbage people and say u just wanted to empty the bin hahaha

hehe I think the next time I go to a rave I might get dressed up as one of those bins and go sit out the front and try my luck :)

I don't see any reason why they shouldn't continue with this trial. The cost is nothing, even if the benefits are few.

First time i missed the festival since it started kinda glad i did. lol
Lucky there mostly shit pills going round fucking piperazines.
hope we get a big test results of whats in all the drugs they found.
my mate got searched by the cops he had drugs on him sweating balls off his head they didn't find them and they were right near his hand

First time i missed the festival since it started kinda glad i did. lol
Lucky there mostly shit pills going round fucking piperazines.
hope we get a big test results of whats in all the drugs they found.
my mate got searched by the cops he had drugs on him sweating balls off his head they didn't find them and they were right near his hand

tadfish, can you tell us as much as you can/know about how your friend was approached, searched, and what the search was like? Where did your friend hide them that they werent discovered? Just so us festival goers can be more aware of what sort of search we might face, and how we can avoid getting caught in such a search.

yes i am going to tell a new comer how to smuggle drugs info a festival.
lol

yes i am going to tell a new comer how to smuggle drugs info a festival.
lol

That post definitely looks genuine 8), us festival goers would all love to tell non suspicious posters how to smuggle drugs. Remember this is harm reduction ;)