• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

NEWS : 19.4.09 - Govt rolls out $18m anti-drugs adverts

I saw a fucking ludicrous poster at the traino yesterday, saying "Thermal shock will liqefy your internal organs, burn out your muscles and cook your brain. Ecstasy: you don't know what it will do to you."

That is the funniest thing I heard in a while. Gave me a good chuckle.

I noticed theyre playing the old ecstasy, pot and speed ads from a few years back again, and the slightly newer ice one where the guy throws a bin at the window.

I saw a fucking ludicrous poster at the traino yesterday, saying "Thermal shock will liqefy your internal organs, burn out your muscles and cook your brain. Ecstasy: you don't know what it will do to you."

Such blatant scare tactics are downright fucking low. That kind of bullshit should not be stood for.

'yeah that's the one i meant. lol

and as for ice fucking up careers - i know i fucked up a few jobs from being too washed out to perform properly :\

so it goes.

the anti-ice stuff they post on the backs of toilet doors always amuses me. and they do it in clubs, and i'm sitting on the can, pinging my tits off trying to pee, thinking shit, wouldn't fucken mind a puff now that you mention it' :p

I think the adds are good, they are scare tactics which are aimed stop people becoming users. I only recently started enjoying the benefits of drugs :) but before I got into the game I had no idea about drugs and was very scared to go anywhere near ice just because of those adds. I still think twice about ice and have still not touched it.

SO what i am trying to say is although they seem lame etc I think they will deter people from drug abuse. Even if 18 million only saves a few people from destroying there lives then I think its money well spent. eg if 18 possible drug abusers (by abusers I mean people who are at the bottom, stealing and fiending daily, being a problem to society and even other drug users) are deterred thats putting $1m on there life, is that not worth while??

So even after the US study that found anti drug adds may even cause an increase in drug use because it gets people thinking about it they still do it.

They fucked up in the 70s

Just Say No Just Doesnt Work. Should be their new motto to regain ANYONE with a brain's trust.
Heres my ad:

But here are the facts. Ecstasy can and often is adulterated if bought in pill form. While offering euphoric feelings and empathogenic qualities, it is still an intoxicant and you are at the same risk of hurting yourself as other drugs. You may be in an accident or you may have side effects such as vomitting, hallucinations, psychosis, and no high is up without a down. Remember the pills are not always what they claim to be, criminals do make them. Have a tnink about it."

Better than a bunch of crap like people in hospitals or people collapsing. Its not pro or overly anti, its making people think and I think it would work better. It would probably become less popular because it might not have that whole risk to it. The things people do for a risk often includes death. Think about it. Rushes from mountain rock clinbing, skydiving, extreme sports and the like. Why do people do these things? Because you know theres a risk of dying and it gets your adrenalin going but in the back of you head you mostly know you'll end up living. Imagine if skydiving was banned, there would be a black trade for it, and more people would want to do it just because they're not allowed to.

wow just imagine what they could do with that 18M instead of wasting it on false/fake leading advertisements.

I think the adds are good, they are scare tactics which are aimed stop people becoming users. I only recently started enjoying the benefits of drugs :) but before I got into the game I had no idea about drugs and was very scared to go anywhere near ice just because of those adds. I still think twice about ice and have still not touched it.

SO what i am trying to say is although they seem lame etc I think they will deter people from drug abuse. Even if 18 million only saves a few people from destroying there lives then I think its money well spent. eg if 18 possible drug abusers (by abusers I mean people who are at the bottom, stealing and fiending daily, being a problem to society and even other drug users) are deterred thats putting $1m on there life, is that not worth while??

So maybe you smoke weed and take E.

And only occasionally and are no problem to society, most people don't even know.

You tell a none drug user that only knows about those adds and thinks thats what drugs do and you say you use drugs occasionally.

This person now thinks you are one of those people from the adds and if not you will become one soon. They now think you are the scum of the earth.

How does this make you feel?

When you know the truth, you know that drugs aren't as bad as they say. And that not every one turns out like that. You could try explaining it to them, but they've seen the adds. They know whats gonna happen.

The real problem with drugs is people are un-informed about what they are using. "Taking pills every weekend is okay but don't do shrooms very often man, they'll fry you up heaps quick hey." That's from an 18 year old I know that takes 6-10 pills every weekend trying to tell me that mushrooms are going to fry my brain.
Do you think he'd be better off if he knew the truth? I do.

These people are the ones that end up costing society money in jail sentences, violence, drug profiteering, the things that REALLY hurt our society.

Sorry. Touchy subject.

Yeah, instead of an add telling people that taking ecstasy will liquify their organs, put out an add that says that ecstasy can cause long term side effects if you don't space it out to every month or two, and that you can avoid risks by taking the proper supplements, not combing it with other amphetamines and buying a test kit to ensure you're not getting toxic contaminants.

It's just fucked. There are very real risks with these drugs, but people don't know anything about them because nobody tells them, the government blow it so far out of proportion that people are left ignoring them entirely and acting under the dangerous assumption that these drugs are harmless.

^ Good post man!

Thanks, I've spent a lot of time thinking about it.

Government and media propaganda really light an angry fire in me.
People know it exists from the Cold War, what I don't get is why they think it went away with the Cold War.

These adds are a joke i remember them from a few years back, the least they could have done was repackaged their mindless propaganda. The stupid thing about these adds is they are just used to say drugs are bad stay away, you might go crazy or to feed the public some unproven bullshit about how pills are laced with heroin or LSD.
If the government would give us the real facts about using drugs people may tend to belive them more.

If the government would give us the real facts about using drugs people may tend to belive them more.

The sad thing is a lot of people do. Even drug users I know think they get heroin in their pills because it's "smacky." Etc.

The ad's are all bullshit, thats obvious; but as far as I'm concerned, from a HR point of view, if these ad's work on you, then you are not intelligent enough to use drugs safely, and should keep away.

Jakeperson said:
p3ace said:
I think the adds are good, they are scare tactics which are aimed stop people becoming users. I only recently started enjoying the benefits of drugs but before I got into the game I had no idea about drugs and was very scared to go anywhere near ice just because of those adds. I still think twice about ice and have still not touched it.

So maybe you smoke weed and take E.

And only occasionally and are no problem to society, most people don't even know.

You tell a none drug user that only knows about those adds and thinks thats what drugs do and you say you use drugs occasionally.

This person now thinks you are one of those people from the adds and if not you will become one soon. They now think you are the scum of the earth.

How does this make you feel?

When you know the truth, you know that drugs aren't as bad as they say. And that not every one turns out like that. You could try explaining it to them, but they've seen the adds. They know whats gonna happen.

The real problem with drugs is people are un-informed about what they are using. "Taking pills every weekend is okay but don't do shrooms very often man, they'll fry you up heaps quick hey." That's from an 18 year old I know that takes 6-10 pills every weekend trying to tell me that mushrooms are going to fry my brain.
Do you think he'd be better off if he knew the truth? I do.

These people are the ones that end up costing society money in jail sentences, violence, drug profiteering, the things that REALLY hurt our society.

Sorry. Touchy subject.

Great post, Jakeperson. Exactly my sentiments as well.

To add to that for p3ace, deterring people from becoming drug abusers is indeed a good thing. But do you really think these ads will have much of a deterrent effect when people discover that they are lies and exaggerations? If they don't believe the Government and they don't have an alternate source for information (unfortunately not everyone is aware of harm reduction, etc...), how can we expect them to make responsible and safe decisions for themselves regarding drug use when they don't have any information to help them in this?

When I was a little younger and first starting to use, my cynical nature led me to doubt everything the government said about drugs but I wasn't aware of sites like this or other avenues for HR in real life, and I admit I made some reckless decisions back then. I've come a long way, but if you ever read through Drugs In The Media on this site or even just some of the articles that have been posted in here you will see the detrimental effects that the lack of public information on how to stay safe has had. If you visit DiTM, look for the recent thread about the 14 year old girl who took 6 pills on a night out and died. 6 pills! One of the first things I would teach about staying safe when using ecstasy is to never take that many.

8o 6 pills 8o that's insane.
why is it that the one-pill stories only ever make the headlines...?

just wanted to add, that i was reading a copy of the latest Famous magazine at my hairdressers today (yes, i read trashy mags - serves me right) and now the ice ads are popping up in there, too. seems i can't engage with any form of social media without being reminded of the shit i have made every attempt to move on from.... :!

oh no the government is rolling again we are in trouble now. The point is they have no choice but to have a no tolerance attitude towards drugs. Imagine the criticism if they did otherwise and I am sure they would never get re-elected. Personally I do think its about looking like they are doing something about the problem (and it is a problem). Basically an 18m vote for us campaign with a few side effects.

If legalisation does occur it will be a very slow process made up of tiny tiny steps. i feel as though everyone is expecting it to happen right now.

Despite how misleading or false these ads are, is it really a bad thing that anti-druggies opinion is enforced? I mean would (or do) you want your children to be able to use illegal drugs. Maybe some of you do but I sure as hell wouldn’t

I think this sparks another debate which is off topic but I am interested to know what you all think. If you could erase illegal drugs from the world would you.