• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

newer IV user and need help

IVinMS

Greenlighter
Ok, well after years of drug use and never putting point to skin (even after a 2 year heroin addiction) I get to the south and am introduced to meth. I only EVER smoked/snorted it for the first year and a half. Well for the past 3 months I've been IVing and LOVE it. My bf (who is a 4yr veteran at IVing) helped me in the beginning but I've now become ok enough to administer it myself. I really have only ever used the main veins in the crook of my arm and I've now had this horrible experience 2-3 now. I used last night. I know I can't be going through withdrawal this fast. I fell asleep and woke up to the most painful spasms in my arms. It starts at my injection site and my arms lock up (constrict and then loosen) and it HURTS. It has gone away by itself before in a day or two. But the closest thing I can compare it to is the muscle spasms of my heroin withdrawal. But I did a 20unit shot and a few hours later a 15unit shot. We don't filter our shots. We get our shards, crush them up, dump them into the points, add water, shake and dissolve, stick, register, and enjoy. This spasming has only occured 2-3 times before, but I have no clue what's causing it or how to relieve it. I'm not stopping the point, LOVE the instant high WAY too much. My bf is so apologetic for helping me. I told him I'm an adult and I use the ROA that I choose. He begged me not too as he's fighting as he says, "an addiction to the point alone". But that ships sailed I think. I'd really like to know if anyone else has had these spasms, what to do to relieve them, and what is causing them. Thanks for any tips/info! ☺

Last edited:
Are you sure you aren't dehydrated and just getting cramps? This happens really easily with meth use. I would suggest getting an electrolyte supplement (magnesium, potassium, sodium, even just a magnesium supplement as it is an important electrolyte and also a muscle relaxer) and drink more water.

I would also echo T. Calderones post and rotate injection sites often. This is much safer and better in the long run.

Yeah you might have missed a shot that happens to me sometimes the day after i shoot heroin.

It's definitely not withdrawals- in my experience meth/coke don't have any real physical withdrawals unless you count wanting to binge eat and sleep to make up for all the food/sleep you miss while using.

I'm an IV user and miss on occasion and it doesn't sound like that- unless missing with meth is way different than dope.

I would switch injection sites and take a multivitamin. I too started out only in the crooks of my arms, but lately I've been having a lot of luck hitting the outside of my wrists and forearms. Hydrate well and tie off tight and you should be able to find other veins.

I say take a multivitamin cause I know firsthand that meth (and even prescribed amphetamines) really leech vitamins and minerals from your body, and being deficient in them causes all sorts of cramps, spasms, not to mention other things like eventually having your teeth go to shit.

Good luck.

It could be something in the batch you are getting.. maybe it has something in it that isn't agreeing with you. I know meth can be bulked out with quite a few chemicals when making it or cooking it. So the person cooking it can yield more product, even though not as good, for the sake of making more money.. I am sure though if it was missed shots, you would know.. at least I hope you would! Everytime I have ever missed with anything I have shot, it burned and stung like a bitch! and of course I got no real effect from it when missed, whatever drug it may have been.. I have done so many drugs IV, just never meth.

I'm an IV user and miss on occasion and it doesn't sound like that- unless missing with meth is way different than dope.

Missing a shot of methamphetamine is very painful and results in a burning sensation that lasts for some time. It's a lot worse than missing a shot of heroin.

Thank you for all of the info so far y'all. No, it's not a missed shot. The very second I miss I know it! Soooo painful! But it's just weird these spasms, like, My forearms feel like rubberbands that are wound too tight. I AM anemic so maybe that has something to do with it. And as my bf always says,"dehydration is the enemy"

My right arm does this. The only way I can describe it, it's like restless leg syndrome in your arm. Like it gets the jitters inside and it has to move. That usually the arm I shoot up in, I always get it at night when I'm trying to sleep. I just figured it was from trying to go to bed sober if I don't have roxys.

Maybe filter your shots? I've never shot meth so I don't know but I bang pills and am very careful (still stupid I know) to use fresh steril supplies Every Time! and micron filter every time. Make sure you are practicing some Harm reduction. Wash your hands, mix in a clean steril environment and so on.

Definitely filter your shots.

I have no idea if it is in any way related to the problem you've been having, but there is really no reason not to filter your shots.
There can be insoluble particles in there that aren't visible to the naked eye, which you wouldn't want to be putting directly into your bloodstream like that.
There is heaps of information on bluelight and elsewhere online about safest ways to inject drugs.

Your boyfriend may have been doing it for a few years, but if he doesn't filter the solution before shooting it, i'd suggest you could both benefit from a bit of research.
You need to make sure you reduce the possibility of contaminating your hit with bacteria, viruses or insoluble particles.

This means disinfecting (as best you can, with alcohol swabs, isopropyl, etc) everything you use to handle the shard (the spoon - which you should use to mix up and filter your shot - don't just stick it in the rig; the site of injection (to stop bacteria on the skin getting into your bloodstream; and even your fingers, before you handle the filter [small piece of sterile cotton wool, or a little bit of cigarette filter will do - but micron filters are even better if you can get them from a needle exchange)

It's easy to trust that your friends and loved ones know what they are doing regarding safe injection technique - but you can really do yourself some nasty damage if you don't take those simple steps to make your shot as safe as possible.

I've known some smart people to make some really bad choices when it comes to drug use, like nearly losing an arm from shooting pills.

What you've been experiencing sounds unpleasant - but some of the complications you can get from IV drug use without using proper safety precautions are horrifying - and life threatening. Abcesses, inflammation of the heart valves (endocarditis), complications with your respiratory system from insoluble particles ending up in your lungs....the list goes on and on...

Don't mean to lecture or scare you - but you really have to take as much care as possible with IV drug use, because it bypasses all of your body's natural defence systems.
It sounds like you guys care about each other, so it is worth just making sure you're taking all the precautions you can - for your own sake, and each other's.

I have a question. Im unable to easily access insulin syringes, I live in texas, strict strict strict, and no exchange programs period. so im using a 3 cc syringe with a 22 gage needle smallest tractor supply carries. my wife is attached to my hip 24/7 and knows I've used before so I've been using the same syringe and needle for 3-4 weeks. suddenly I cant seem to register in any location lower arm upper arm hand foot, and as a result have missed several shots. however I've now discovered it's not from me not being able to find a vein but a cloged needle/ worn out equipment of some sort. I.just finished a shot and surprisingly had a fat vein bulging and most obviously was in it. when I pushed on plunger, no register, there was no burn no pain and after shot absolutely no bump and I got my regular great rush. the syringe is one of those twist on kind. I seem to.have good suction because drawing up water is very easy but can not get a register from vein. I've filled it up with water several times and blasted it out, I've sucked up rubbing alcohol and blasted it out even got sewing needle and stuck it in back side of needle to open hole still nothing what can I do to get it to register. I know I need to just get a new one but until then im gonna do meth and possibly miss help

I have a question. Im unable to easily access insulin syringes, I live in texas, strict strict strict, and no exchange programs period. so im using a 3 cc syringe with a 22 gage needle smallest tractor supply carries. my wife is attached to my hip 24/7 and knows I've used before so I've been using the same syringe and needle for 3-4 weeks. suddenly I cant seem to register in any location lower arm upper arm hand foot, and as a result have missed several shots. however I've now discovered it's not from me not being able to find a vein but a cloged needle/ worn out equipment of some sort. I.just finished a shot and surprisingly had a fat vein bulging and most obviously was in it. when I pushed on plunger, no register, there was no burn no pain and after shot absolutely no bump and I got my regular great rush. the syringe is one of those twist on kind. I seem to.have good suction because drawing up water is very easy but can not get a register from vein. I've filled it up with water several times and blasted it out, I've sucked up rubbing alcohol and blasted it out even got sewing needle and stuck it in back side of needle to open hole still nothing what can I do to get it to register. I know I need to just get a new one but until then im gonna do meth and possibly miss help
you've been re using the same needle for a month?

Sorry to come out of nowhere with this, but all current complications aside, if you really want to keep shooting for any amount of time then you need to find a way to get a new syringe and needle, and also one that isn't such a large gauge (if your state has laws against it, I understand, but take the trip to the nearest state with more lenient needle laws and bring back 9 or 10 boxes of 29-31 gauge insulin syringes and be set for a while. You won't regret it!)

That being said, and always rotating sites, you're minimalizing the damage. Filter, too. Why risk heart inflammation when cotton is cheap as hell.

If you're still getting the spasms, then it could just be the differences in street meth. There are a lot of amphetamines that closely resemble meth, for one, and I once ended up in the hospital only to find out my meth dealer had been selling me a crystallized amphetamine and not meth at all, said the blood test I received only 6 hours after my last shot (he probably didn't realize it either, he's not a fucking scientist). Hell, even Crystal Meth can be crystallized (turned into a salt, technically) with several different chemicals, which cause some amount of variation in effect. Kinda like Morphine HCl being stronger than Morphine Sulfate, because the Sulfate weighs more than the HCl bonded to it, resulting in 50mg of one having less bonded Morphine than the other weighed at 50mg.

Meth is a CNS stimulant. Arguably the most powerful one out there. Honestly, it might vary depending on what it might be cut, rocked or rerocked with, or at the end of the day it might just be the stimulating effects of meth causing an undesirable side effect. God knows I've experienced my fair share over the years.

All you can do is practice good harm reduction and mitigate the negative effects.

I wish you the best, in any case. I also cannot help but prefer IV for meth. She's a mother fucker though for sure.

Meth does not make you go through withdrawals, at least not in the sense that heroin does. Feening for meth or wanting it really bad, is not withdrawal that's just like wanting a hamburger really bad.

Crystallized amphetamine is meth that's all methamphetamine means is that it's in its crystal form Adderall is amphetamine salts it's just not in a crystal form and you don't use Drano to make it

please don't bump old threads and also please don't double post, you can combine them with the edit button