View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

New Year's LSD trip gone horribly bad.

hojo82

Greenlighter
Hello. So I had quite a New Year's last night and it was not in a good light. I am 34 years old and the last time I tripped LSD was when I was 21 years old. I was addicted to heroin for 10 years and I have some underlying psychological things going on but I have been clean for 5 years.

So I am a huge fan of EDM an I wanted to start the New Year's off with a bang so I got some tickets for me and my friends to go see Kaskade in San Francisco. So of course we needed some party favors so I ordered some darknet LSD from a very reliable vendor. The listing was for 5 hits, each 200-240ug. From my research, thats a higher dose. So it was me and 2 other people. The vendor sent the 5 individual hits and put a bonus strip of paper that I assume he just dipped in the stuff. So I got all ready for my night and decided we would start with the strip. Since there were 3 of us, I cut the strip into 6 pieces so we each had 2 hits a piece.

Me and my friend C both took ours in the hotel room at 8. I took one piece of paper and he took half. While on the train I took the other piece of paper. My friend took the other half of the first piece and we got to the show location by 9. Now I had to wait for my other friend S to meet us at the spot and she took another 45 minutes to get there. By this time, 1h45m, I was tripping hard. It was great! The colors of downtown San Francisco with all the lights were amazing. So my friend S arrived and we went inside. Talk about sensory overload! The sounds and lights! So amazing and I'll never forget. So we all went up to the top corner of the balcony and I dosed her with one strip. Now at this time I peaked. 3 hours and I peaked. Someone tell me if this is a normal time frame to peak? So reality started coming back to me and I became aware of my surroundings. I decided to take one of the 200ug stickers because I wantes to stay in wonderland and keep up with my female friend S. When I noticed reality again, for some reason this worried me and I felt the urge to move. We went downstairs to the thick of things and the feelings of people watching me started to build. I had a bad trip on 2c-I and the same thing happened. I remember the feelings building and I kept having to move. Next I thought I was being obvious and that the event staff was watching. I was scared. Fear and anxiety took over and I started manifesting hallucinations that security was onto me. I lost all sense of my surrounds and I looked for am escape. The only "right way out" was back through the front and that wasnt close. The emergency exit was. I bolted through it and my friends had no choice but to follow me for my safety. The said at that point the police and ems were being called. Now I was outside on the street. No going back in. I really like S but I was so far gone that she got in an uber and left. My friend C stayed by my side. He is a true friend. I spent the next 2 hours running in traffic and I had absolutely no idea what I was doing. I paced the same 2 blocks. In my head I was reflecting on my whole life and how fucked up it had been. All my wrongdoings and how I am nothing. I tore myself down. I was stuck mumbling to myself for hours and my friend was still following me. I was stuck. Finally I got tired. I sat down. I was still unresponsive. All i could think about was how I would make it back to the hotel room and end this.
Lucky for me I had prepared and brought benzos with me. I finally reached in my pocket and pulled out 2mg of etizolam. 20 minutes later a Lyft appeared. I guess my friend had called 5 or 6 ubers and they all came but he couldnt get me in the car so they kepa leaving. I finally got in the car. Fear subsided. I came down within 20 minutes. It was over. My friend C said he was crying and thought I was gone for good. I thought I was going to be stuck like that for the rest of my life too....The whole time it felt like a plug half way in the electrical socket. I was tripping a then I would snap back to reality. Back and fourth very rapidly! Like that made me lose it. Zapping back and fourth.

I finally fell asleep at 4 am and was up at 11.
Its 1am now and I cant sleep. All I can think about is how I ruined New Year's for everyone and almost got hospitalized and arrested. Now I feel super depressed.

Why did I get so paranoid? Im assuming I took too much.

I think I will try this again at some point what I have recovered but in much less dose.

Also why did I peak so fast? I thought an acid trip was like 8-12 hours.

I am on a number of medications too.

Wellbutrin XL 150
Lamictal (50mg and tapering down)
Lithium (300mg)
Suboxone 6mg

I had such a fun time in the beginning but ended in psychosis.

Please give me your feedback guys.

Thanks.

400+ micrograms is *a lot* of LSD. Someone who had their last trip 13 years ago probably shouldn’t take more than 150 micrograms, especially if they‘re out in public. Let‘s face it, LSD isn‘t exactly the most gentle of psychedelics out there.

However, the bigger issue is that you were on lithium, which is one of the most dangerous things you can combine with LSD. For whatever reason, LSD can induce fugue states and even seizures for people who are on lithium.

I would *strongly* advise you to abstain from psychedelics for the time being, and keep taking your lithium - you were probably prescribed a mood stabilizer for a reason, so discontinuing it in order to take a drug that can trigger psychosis or mania in susceptible individuals probably wouldn’t be a good idea.

waay too high dose.

for such high dosing you need either accrued tolerance, or a comfy bedroom or cottage away from buzz.

As has been mentioned, lithium is very, very dangerous to combine with LSD, it can induce seizures and causes it to be greatly amplified in effects. Secondly, your dose was quite massive. Lastly, being out in public on high doses of psychedelics is going to make it far more likely that you experience paranoia and fear.

The time frame is totally normal, peaking on LSD at 3 hours or even earlier is standard.

Sounds like you took wAYYYY tooo much too quick with your last experience many many many years ago. You're lucky that you are ok and no one got hurt. Especially being on lithium. Just because you partake in drugs doesnt mean you can do it willy nilly or however you feel. There are very REAL consequences. Even though it sounds bad, be a responsible drug user. Also, dwelling on certain thoughts can lead you into a "bad" trip. Many different factors can lead to a "bad" trip when your mind is involved and its altered. Be careful, because the next time you use something like LSD in large or small doses while on Lithium may be your last trip to la la land. I know people who havent come back or come back very altered. Be responsible if you are going to take another trip but dont neglect your prescribed medication.

I had done my research on interactions. The first couple responses I found were that lithium did intensify the LSD but no mentions of seizures were listed. I guess next time I'll be a little more careful. The way the LSD was laid out it was very hard to dose so I wasn't too sure how much I taken and then I just lost control at that point. I am going to try this again but it's going to be on a much smaller scale. I'm thinking 80 micrograms Max. And as far as being on the mood stabilizers doctors came to the conclusion show me off of lithium and Lamictal.

Do you think it was the benzos that saved me? Would I still be fucked up if I hadn't have taken them? I feel super embarrassed that this happened. I ruined everybody's night and now I just feel really depressed and shameful but I did reflect on my whole life everything Flash before my eyes intensely. I feel like I have been Reborn.

Reality while stoned is much richer: tangents of processed sensation and ideas spin off simultaneously as new sensation keeps happening, and the combinations create new side trips, some of which can repeat or loop, retriggering, while meanwhile new sensation keeps happening.
As you snap back and forth between enriched side trips and new now type sensory signals from the (external) world you get what is described as looping, even hall of mirrors (or deja vue). which can even seem to be parallel universes with apparent related kaleidoscopic geometries.
In a good setting this can be rapturous, if that is your inclination (mind set), but in public this will blow your dilithium crystal stardrives - and melt your computer core - more often than not, hopefully your experience reminds people to be cautions with mixing, dosage, setting, etc.

Pupnik, yes this is exactly what happened. I'm wobdering next time if I try around 80-100ug. That way I wont overload. MDMA isnt an option because my job drug tests me regularly. I love MDMA and wish I could

I'm surprised you didn't encounter any info about seizures from LSD while on lithium, it's the main concern. People have died that way. Please don't combine LSD and lithium, it's very dangerous.

Luckily, you didn't get arrested or end up in the hospital, so I suppose it could have been worse but it sounds like a pretty awful trip. Given the setting and the amount you took, I'm not surprised that it went bad though, 400 micrograms is a lot of acid, so if you're not in a good setting for it (which you weren't), it would often induce a bad trip. This is especially true since you hadn't taken psychedelics in so long, but the combination of a crowded, noisy setting and a very high dose could even cause a bad trip for someone who is very experienced with acid.

Also, there may have been some interactions with your medications at play. LSD and lithium is dangerous and can result in seizures and even death, as Xorkoth said. Also, the Wellbutrin likely didn't help either. Antidepressants and acid are also known to contribute to bad trips. In fact, a friend of mine freaked out horribly after combining the two and essentially blacked out during many parts of the trip. Don't mix medications with LSD or other psychedelics, especially not the lithium.

LSD and lithium is dangerous and can result in seizures and even death, as Xorkoth said. Also, the Wellbutrin likely didn't help either.

Specifically, Wellbutrin is known to increase the incidence of epileptic seizures as a side effect, so it's reasonable to assume that when combined with LSD and Lithium it would be a particularly bad combo and should be avoided.

wikipedia on Wellbutrin said:
Epileptic seizures are the most important adverse effect of bupropion. A high incidence of seizures was responsible for the temporary withdrawal of the drug from the market between 1986 and 1989. The risk of seizure is strongly dose-dependent, but also dependent on the preparation. The sustained-release preparation is associated with a seizure incidence of 0.1% at daily dosages of less than 300 mg of bupropion and 0.4% at 300–400 mg.[48] The immediate release preparation is associated with a seizure incidence of 0.4% for dosages below 450 mg; the incidence climbs to 5% for dosages between 450–600 mg per day.[48] For comparison, the incidence of unprovoked seizure in the general population is 0.07 to 0.09%, and the risk of seizure for a variety of other antidepressants is generally between 0.1 and 1.5% at recommended dosage levels.[49] Clinical depression itself has been reported to increase the occurrence of seizures, and a study examining FDA clinical trial data has suggested that in most cases, low to moderate doses of antidepressants may not actually increase seizure risk at all.[50] However, this study also found that bupropion and clomipramine were unique among antidepressants in that they were associated with increased incidence of seizures

from: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bupropion#Side_effects

Well according to my taper schedule I will be completely tapered off of lithium and Lamictal by March for my next event. The Wellbutrin doesn't seem to be working too well for me because it's causing a lot of anxiety. We are going to try Remeron next and see how that works. Ideally I would like to get off my Suboxone too because I feel that it lowers my hormone levels and I don't have the testosterone that I used to have. Guys who have been very helpful and thank you for your feedback and I will take this as a learning experience and next time I will proceed with caution. Maybe I'll try microdosing next time and definitely not at a rave.

i almost went to that show, but spent a quiet night at home and dropped acid first thing in the morning on new years day.

you took 400 ug. even without the coctail of psychotic drugs this is an absurd dose to be in public on in my opinion.

if it makes you feel better i ruined an armin show many years ago for me and my friends. I got so drunk that as soon as i walked into the hotel where the show was, i basically just fell down and went to sleep in the middle of the dance floor.

they kicked my out and my friend carried me out and laid me out on the sidewalk in miami beach on the main drag with thousands of people walking by. I had a crowd of people and cops and paramedics around me and was apparently mouthing off to the cops...thank god they didn't arrest me, i also had drugs on me.

i felt very embarrassed and sad that i missed the show, you'll get over it though.

Last edited:
i almost went to that show, but spent a quiet night at home and dropped acid first thing in the morning on new years day.

you took 400 ug. even without the coctail of psychotic drugs this is an absurd dose to be in public on in my opinion.

if it makes you feel better i ruined an armin show many years ago for me and my friends. I got so drunk that as soon as i walked into the hotel where the show was, i basically just fell down and went to sleep in the middle of the dance floor.

they kicked my out and my friend carried me out and laid me out on the sidewalk in miami beach on the main drag with thousands of people walking by. I had a crowd of people and cops and paramedics around me and was apparently mouthing off to the cops...thank god they didn't arrest me, i also had drugs on me.

i felt very embarrassed and sad that i missed the show, you'll get over it though.

Dam. Armin is amazing. That's definitely someone I want to see. But the girl I was with I can't even imagine what was going through her head seeing me in the state I was in considering it was her first time doing LSD. I'll definitely try this again but I only do about 80ug.

Doesn't remeron block serotogenic psychedelics?

Does it? That's no fun. I'm hoping the Wellbutrin insomnia side effect will wear off eventually. I'm going to give it another week and if nothing is changed then I'm going to have to get off of it

Dam. Armin is amazing. That's definitely someone I want to see. But the girl I was with I can't even imagine what was going through her head seeing me in the state I was in considering it was her first time doing LSD. I'll definitely try this again but I only do about 80ug.

yea the shitty thing was this was at a pool party with only a few hundred people, before EDM blew up. Avicii opened and nobody even knew who he was at the time.

i never got a chance to see such big names in such a small setting again.....oh well drugs

I believe there were aroubd 2500 people at Kaskade. I still don't know what I was scared of lol